1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just bought a Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BenR, Jul 7, 2006.

1. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah ... the sweet relief. I now own a Prius!!!

I bought a 2006 model with the HG package (#4) in black with charcoal interior. I didn't really care about getting the rear bumper applique or fancy floor mats, but they're along for the ride. I also was able to get $100 knocked off the MSRP thanks to the Costco Auto Program (www.costcoauto.com), a tip I found in these forums. So thanks for that fine advice.

The best news is it'll be ready for pickup before the end of the month! I can't wait to drive it home.

:D B) :D B) :D

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My third congrats of the day! Welcome to the cult.

3. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks! This is a really exciting time. :)

4. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congratulations! Welcome to the future.

I picked mine up on Wednesday. Absolutely love it.

Deposit made May 26. Delivery on July 5.

5. caprinicity

caprinicity New Member

Congratulations to you! :)

I brought mine home last week. I traded in my Tundra and my old Corolla on a 2005 Prius with 23,000 miles on it. I consider myself lucky to have found it. I think it was on the lot all of three days.

It's so much fun to drive. You are going to love having one, and if you're a geek like me, you'll be watching the computer while you're driving around, learning to be a lightfoot and trying to optimize your mileage.

I hope your wait goes quickly.

Bonnie G.
    York, PA
    Don't know what my "package" is, but it's red, and it has airbags all over the place.

6. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The dealer has 15 or so cars on the way. Twelve were alreay sold, sight unseen, and of the three that were available when I called the other day, only one remained up for grabs when I showed up. Black was one of the colors I wanted, so I made out just fine. I also would have liked Seaside Pearl, but I'm just not gonna wait three to six months for one color when another color I want is available.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caprinicity @ Jul 7 2006, 10:14 PM) [snapback]282826[/snapback]</div>
    I wish I could have it right now, but I can wait a couple of weeks. The salesman said he prefers to quote a longer delivery time than is expected, that way no one is totally disappointed. He said by the end of the month, but mid-month is the likely delivery.

At least now I'll have some time to sell my car. My ol' 1992 Ford Taurus wagon served me well. Over the course of 14 years, it only ran $5,000 in repairs. That's pretty darn amazing as far as I'm concerned. However, the work it needs now exceeds its value. I knew right away that a new car would be necessary. I immediately considered a Prius, and the Prius was the only car I tested on the road.

7. momfortheenvironment

Welcome and congratulations, you're gonna love it!!!

8. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momfortheenvironment @ Jul 7 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]282836[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I'm tempted to hit a couple of dealerships over the weekend just to drive a Prius some more. Is that sick? :blink: :lol:

9. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

Contemplating the purchase of a new Prius. Is the stabilization that Toyota adds to package 4 something that is important to have. Any feedback is appreciated. Also, if I can get a deal at MSRP is that something that I should jump at?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 7 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]282814[/snapback]</div>

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    VSC seems to be very popular with those that have it. I have a '05 Pkg 3 so I don't have it. Can't give you any "real world" anecdotes. I'm pretty sure that having it will give you a small break on your auto insurance.

11. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, my experience with the car has been limited to test drives, and I certainly didn't do anything to active the VSC. However, everything I've read about it makes it seem extremely valuable. I think package #4 is a really nice mixture of additional features. As far as MSRP goes, every dealership I called charges MSRP. I've heard that others may charge more than MSRP -- some significantly more. Personally, going several hours out of my way to save a couple hundred bucks isn't worth it. I was prepared to pay no more than MSRP. Getting the $100 off through the Costco Auto Program was certainly better than nothing.

12. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Congrats! I just got mine a week ago :D

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Jul 8 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]283055[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know what's in the various package numbers now, but when you say "stabilization" do you mean VSC? I have VSC in my 2004, and it has saved me from going out of control several times. I lived in Fargo, ND, until last fall. The situation is you're on a dry street, but unbeknownst to you there's ice in the intersection, and you hit it just as you're turning. You hear the three quick beeps, the car slows down, but instead of spinning out of control you stay on your path around the corner.

You bet your life VSC is worth it!

But VSC is a computer-controled active and selective automatic braking system. When someone says "stabilization" I think of springs and shocks. So I'm not sure I am addressing your intended question.

14. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 7 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]282822[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations and here's to a very short month!

15. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Jul 8 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]283055[/snapback]</div>

We got package 4 after reading an article (CNN Money?) saying that stabilization control (VSC in Toyotas) was the best new safety device in decades. Since then (in June) I saw another article saying something to the effect that it could reduce fatalities by 1/3 (10,000) and rollovers by something like 80%.
    Wait here is the link http://www.namic.org/topnews/060620st1.asp

16. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 7 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]282814[/snapback]</div>

YAY - ANOTHER CINCI PRIUS. :D

17. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CinciPrius @ Jul 8 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]283159[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, sir! In fact, I saw a black 2006 on the Norwood Lateral yesterday. It looked TOUGH. :ph34r: B)

18. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 8 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]283036[/snapback]</div>
    Not at all Ben, I had the same thoughts.. With my Prius at Port being accessorized with anticipated delivery in two day... Can't wait, but I will resist the temptation to go drive one again. Plus I am too busy organizing my cargo tray, side mouldings, pinstripe, zaino car care products, door edge protectors, stiffening plate, sun shield, shark fin antenna, MFD protection film, and MFD hood to really have time to go to another dealership!!!!! That plus work keeps me busy HAHA! Enjoy. They all will come to us eventually.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tanteb & rgrpick @ Jul 8 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]283140[/snapback]</div>
    Tanteb...I originally ordered a Package 3.. After reading up on the VSC and speaking to Prius owners on this site, I immediately called the dealership back and changed it to a package 4... I think it is a smart move...

19. TT0RQ0

TT0RQ0 New Member

I also just purchased a 2006 Prius, Seaside Pearl/FE11 Package 4, two weeks ago and am simply amazed. Currently sitting at 52.4 mpg having driven 412 miles and still learning how to drive it.

I have read the manual that came with it a couple of times and find it very lacking. I've found this web-site extremely helpful in learning about the ends and outs of this vehicle and covering the topics in more detail. I traded a 1995 Camry in on it.

This may sound like a dumb question but how in the world does the engine start since it does not appear to have a starter?java script:emoticon(':D', 'smid_4')
    :D

20. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Austin @ Jul 25 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]292285[/snapback]</div>
    MG1 performs this function. Spins the motor up to 1200RPM or so and then adds fuel and spark.