1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just drove the Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by naterprius, May 15, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just drove the Camry Hybrid. Man, I love my dealer. I was the only customer that they let drive it! It's being traded to another dealer since that has a customer that wants this package and color.

Anyway, the car is impressive. The seat is comfy (power adjustable). I hate leather, but I tried to look past that. The SKS is weird because you still have to shift into park before you turn it off. The gauges are nice, especially the analog MPG gauge! The car seemed less hybridish than the Prius, but maybe that's because the A/C was busy cooling down the interior, so the engine was running more.

On my test drive, I managed just under 32 MPG. Not bad.

Underhood is a wimpy looking inverter, and oddly enough, a drive belt (for the water pump maybe?). I'd like to think the new smaller inverter is just that much more efficient, but I don't really know.

Overall, power is decent, handling is excellent, ride was great, and noise was low.

Then of course, I checked out the trunk.

Wow. I mean, almost HALF of its useful space is gone to the battery. And not the LOWER half, the FRONT half.

Worse yet, the seats fold down, but I can't figure out why. There's no point in folding the left seat at all, since it's blocked completely. In order to use the pass through on the right seat, you have to put stuff on top of the battery! Not good for heavy items. Most of the lost space is actually lost to the ventilation system for the battery; it goes up to the rear deck lid where there is a vent into the passenger compartment.

Toyota managed to squeeze a battery AND a third row seat into the Highlander, yet the Camry's trunk is a total mess. One of the reasons I wanted to get a Camry was for increased trunk space. This is a major disappointment.

Nate

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

That is interesting. One of the factors that influenced me to choose the Prius over the Civic Hybrid is that the battery takes up much of the space in the trunk in the HCH (and the rear seats don't fold at all.) If they could make a flat trunk and fold-down seats work in the Prius, why not other cars?
    Other than that, though, I think the new Camry is stuuning- haven't driven one yet.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ May 15 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]255759[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for sharing. This is only one of the things I like about the Prius; it was designed from the getgo to be a hybrid, and not a conversion. Form follows function.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also got a Camry test-drive, in the one Gilles Labelle brought
    out to Tour de Sol. I only managed 42 mpg on a shortish loop, but
    I was checking out the various hybrid tricks to see if they still
    work on this one -- warp-neutral, force-charging, etc. They do, in
    fact, since it's still more or less the same HSD under there. Then
    someone else took it out and "hypermiled" the thing at 72 mpg! Well,
    I guess I just suck.
    Anyway, after we were done I thought to check the tire pressure. The
    tires [I forget exactly what make/model but it could likely be
    looked up] are rated at *51* psi cold, and of course they were down
    at Toyota's 33 or whatever. I told Gilles, "pump them suckers UP!"
    and he would have except the next day was solid rain and nobody felt
    like dealing.
    The analog FE meter is sort of cute, but *very* slow in its response.
    It goes from 60 mpg up to zero, with a little region below 60
    marked "EV" or some such, i.e. "infinite". The screen "energy"
    display has the expected components and shows "glide" mode with no
    arrows, but not above 42 mph as with the prius. What I spent some
    amount of time during our test run, most of which was at 45-50 mph
    on secondary highways, was trying to find the "warp stealth" state
    with the engine spinning but not consuming, and the car being gently
    pushed by electric alone. All my thrashing with that probably kept
    the short-term FE down. Extra instrumentation is probably needed.
    Ours also had leather, which I largely ignored. The thing feels
    *big*. I finally learned the term for that narrow-windows, slab-
    sided "retro roadster" look -- it's called "high beltline". Anyway,
    the Camry has that. I'm sure it will appeal to many who want a
    regular *car* with all the amenities expected nowadays. What would
    appeal much more to the gear-hauling crowd would be a *wagon*
    version of this, which would require relocating the battery pack
    and some other changes, but I think that would be well worth it.
    The payload is something around 900 pounds in the sedan [not that
    the prius at 850 is very far behind...] and a wagon version could
    probably be beefed up a little to a full half-ton.
    _H*

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My only concern for the new Camry Hybrid, would be the reliability. I am hearing more and more reports of the new Avalon being much less reliable than typical Toyota standard, and the Camry has only been out less than a year and already has a recall under it's hood. I have been totally satisfied with my Prius' reliablity, and I would buy a Toyota again, but with the new reliablity reports, I would definately check out all options before just sticking with Toyota.
    My thinking with the Prius is that they probably did so much research and developement for the design of it, that it is bound to be a better built car, whereas the new Camry they just sort of threw into the market.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ May 15 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]255787[/snapback]</div>
    Aren't the Avalons and other Camrys the American Made ones?

The current Hybrid Camrys are made in Japan. They won't start assembling them here until later this year as I understand it.

Not saying that's a major factor, but something to consider.

7. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ May 15 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]255813[/snapback]</div>

OHHH, OK! That make's me feel better than hehe... sad to say. I have heard that the models that are built here, are significantly less reliable, such as the Nissan Titan- they are receiving many complaints about Nissan's reliability for the Titan, as it is produced here, yet the one's built over seas are still reliable. Ford and VW is having a lot of their vehicles built in Mexico- not the smartest idea- the reliability on those models have been bad. I saw an article regarding the reliability ratings of the new Hyundai's- as their reliability has been ranked up with Toyota and Honda, yet they are concerned with the new Sonata, as it is manufactured in America now. Also, I have been hearing/reading that GM's reliability is on the rise, and I have noticed a MAJOR increase in their marketing, something tells me that Toyota better keep an eye on their plants here if they plan on knockin' out the (former?) "big 3".

8. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ May 15 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]255818[/snapback]</div>

Toyota has been very, very happy with the quality of the vehicles they have been building in the US. I read an article about a year ago where they said the quality stats for Toyota showed the US factories producing better product than the Japanese ones.

Nissan is another matter; they recently "tanked" on all their new models ("tanked" being relative to other manufacturers; they still have better reliability than most of the cars built in the 1980's and 1990's.) Quality usually has less to do with the workers than it does with the management.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

My understanding is that Toyotas built in the US have been of the highest quality. The Avalon is the first instance of a Toyota that I have heard of that has had any significant quality control issues. Likewise, Honda has also built excellent vehicles in the US. Nissan, on the other hand, has had problems with their US plants. All of the German companies- VW, Mercedes, BMW- have had quality problems with US-built vehicles. Clearly, it's not a deficiency on the part of US auto workers- it would seem that some companies have management problems.

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Almost sounds like the typical first generation problems with a new product.

Not enough prethought and it sounds like it will not be a "perfected" product until a few generations of customer comments changing things a bit.

Its ashamed they took the good attributes and ruin't them with bad attributes..

But then again, its hard to beat the prius.... even for toyota... unless they make a better prius!
    And it sounds like.. thats "not" the Camry.