1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just have to comment on this...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Look, I'm all for a good, gory video game with all sorts of expletives, but I'm 32, so it's no big deal, and I appreciate the "realism", so to speak...

Recently, I bought two games: F.E.A.R., and "GUN", and I must say, even I am amazed at the dialogue. In FEAR, it's common to hear phrases such as, "S**T! Get Down!", and even "F**K!!". In "GUN", you get language like, "I'm gonna "poke" the b**ch first!"

Damn, if my parents had caught me playing games like that when I was in my teens, it would not have been fun...

...and that wasn't too long ago...

I guess the bar is being raised, instead of "crap", "BS", and "Damn" becoming common vernacular, now it's evolving into "general" use of what was ONCE considered an "expletive".... :lol:

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    What about rap (I won't call it music) that you've heard evolve in the 16 years since you were 16? Take away violence and sex, and what's left? But it's from "your generation", so you may defend it...

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, rap is a misstatement, there is suppose to be the letter C at the begining. :ph34r:

Wow Squid, is that your group???

5. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Take away violence and sex, and what's left? Um, money - bling, 40's of Old E and slangin' Cane & smokin' out. Crap I almost forgot about the juice in my ride and a loaded gat at my side. And it's all about the GTA.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GTA3 is still the best. ;-)

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ya know, I was thinking the same thing not too long ago. Let's put this into perspective. In the 80s, Tipper Gore and her band of not-so-merry people got all up in arms over what they considered questional lyrics. Addressed were the lyrics to "We're Not Gonna Take It."

Fast Forward to the rap of today. And the video games.

It's a whole new world.

But here's a scary thought:
    When I was younger, I was a member of the Catholic Youth Organisation (CYO). Please keep the jokes to yourselves. Anyway, to spark a debate and kick off the discussion we were going to have, someone read a passage about how children were dressing inappropriately when they go to worship. About how disrespectful children are, and about how the parents need to work more on keeping their children in line. Turned out that the passage was originally written in Latin. It was from Plutar, written more than 2,000 years ago.

So while the observations are accurate, they are certianly not new.