1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just picked up my new Prius and I noticed...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fredmertz, Feb 22, 2006.

1. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

I just picked up my new Prius and drove it home from the office. I noticed a couple things that I didn't expect:

1) The navigation was fully functional while traveling on the freeway

2) No "beeping" while backing up.

I thought I read on this forum that the navigation was locked out while driving and there was an annoying "beep" while in Reverse?

Is it just me?

2. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Hi -

Define "fully functional"... did you try to access certain menus?

The problem is that certain key functions are locked out while in motion, such as entering a destination. If you are entering data at a traffic light and then have to move before done entering data, your entry is lost.

Also locked out is using the touch-screen to dial numbers on your phone, unless they are already present in your speed dial directory.

- Bob R.

3. the fish

the fish Member

Surpsrised by the no reverse beep. You should try to activate to make sure it will function at all. There are threads around here about enabling/disabling the beep. If it doesn't work, you may want to get the service department to look at it.

4. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

The reverse is fully functional without any beeping.

As I drove down the freeway at 45 MPH I keyed in destinations, points of interest, setup my home address. I created a few routes. It was fully functional. Nothing locked out, nothing grayed out.

I don't know what to tell you. :huh:

5. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

I don't know what's wrong with your car, but I'll trade you for it. :)

- Bob R.

6. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

Uhhhhh, I almost hate to say it but I also made several phone calls on my 50 mile freeway drive home using the keypad. :eek:

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, that's pretty awesome!! What dealer did you get your car at? Any way you can call them and find out how they were able to get it to do that????? :D :D :D :D

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe your gps speed sensor is broken?.. or... what dealer did you go to? ;) we want to know.. hehe

sounds cool to me.. i'll trade you too

9. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Seriously, although I have my fingers crossed that this is a production change on the part of Toyota, I think that there is probably a broken connection on the signal lines that route vehicle motion pulses and the reverse indicator signal to your MFD and Nav unit.

Does your car have a backup camera? (It should if it has Nav) If the reverse signal is getting to the MFD, then it should switch to show the camera image automatically when you engage reverse.

- Bob R.

10. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

No! I called dibbs! :)

- Bob R.

11. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Sorry to post 3 comments in a row, but another question: When you are driving using the "Energy" screen which shows arrows between the battery, engine, etc., do the graphical wheels on the car turn? If they do not turn, then your MFD is not receiving vehicle speed information, which may also mess up the results on your "Consumption" screen.

- Bob R.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

What puzzles me is the backup and the nav should not be tied... I wonder if service monkied with it and forgot to set it back?

13. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Actually, the backup signal does reach one of the pins on the Nav. It is used in combination with the speed signal and the compass to augment the GPS signal and to track progress when the GPS signal is missing.

- Bob R.

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool! You should play the lotter today too! :)

15. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Man if you could figure out how this happened you could sell it to everyone on the site!!

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. What they said. Boy, did you ever luck out.

I'm not sure I would take it to the dealer. You might not like how they "fix" it. <_<

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Should have known........ well maybe you can help figure out whats up......

Dealers will definately try to undo it if its a mistake.....

18. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

Well, I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy, so on the way to work this morning I did all the same actions. The nav and phone (Razr - blue tooth connected) both work (fully functional) while driving and the backup did not beep while pulling out of my driveway. My driveway is about 150 feet long and it was 4:00 in the morning. All I heard was crickets.

From Bob R.
    Does your car have a backup camera? (It should if it has Nav) If the reverse signal is getting to the MFD, then it should switch to show the camera image automatically when you engage reverse.

I have a package #8. The backup camera was working when I put the car in reverse and pulled back in my drieway.

From Bob R.
    When you are driving using the "Energy" screen which shows arrows between the battery, engine, etc., do the graphical wheels on the car turn? If they do not turn, then your MFD is not receiving vehicle speed information, which may also mess up the results on your "Consumption" screen.

The wheels on the bus us are turning. They go 'round and 'round. My fuel consumption is also working. I got an average of 47.5mpg on my trip home and 43.7mpg on the way to work (50 freeway miles - no traffic in the morning). By the way, which beats my Merc S500 by about 24mpg... Yahoo!!

So, bottom line, I don't know why it is working the way it is. I will be taking a trip to the dealer in the next couple weeks. I will make sure and ask them what they did and report back here.

19. RunninDover

RunninDover New Member

This is very encouraging!! I pick up my Black #8 on Monday.

20. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Fredmertz -

Thanks for posting your replies and checking on these things for us.

In another thread I have going about voice recognition problems, I noted that I will soon be going in to my dealer to do some tests with their service tech on multiple prii they have on the lot. I intend to look and see if any of theirs work like yours, assuming they'll let me test drive one of them.

Can you check your build date for me? It should be the month and year, and is printed on a sticker in your driver's side door jamb. That way I can compare it with the build dates of the prii on the dealer lot.

Thanks again,
    Bob R.