1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I know GenIII tires 195/65/15 are about .5 inches taller, does it still work ok on GenII?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jeffrimerman, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to put the black rims on my 2005 GenII and found some with rims and tires but the tires are slightly bigger. I'm thinking that will affect the mph readout and probably mpg readout as well as actual mpg. Has anyone tried it or does the system adjust automatically somehow?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've done some searching and I also realize that the speedometer over reads the speed so the slightly larger tire will make it more accurate. Since they are from a new prius I'm going to take a leap and assume they are correctly rated for good mpg. I'm asking what make and model and will know for sure. From the center they will be 1/4 inch taller so 1/2 inch taller from end to end. Hopefully that doesn't mess up the miles per gallon.

Daves09prius and kenoarto like this.
  4. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just downloaded an app for my phone to measure speed with gps. I'm pretty darn close but maybe 1 mph faster at 50+ so if like I read on another post then 2% increase in tire diameter will make me exactly the right speed. I imagine it will show 2% lower mpg, but in reality should be the same. Maybe slightly lower rpm will offset the 1lb added in weight to the new tires. For $100 for tires and rims, can't hurt to experiment.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With the OEM 185/65/15 tyres against the new 195/65/15 (if those are the sizes you are looking at) the speedo will be more accurate and so will the mpg read out on the MFD. Your oddo will under read your millage by about 2%.
    The speedo and mpg display are both very optimistic on the gen2 Prius (reading higher speeds and mpg than actual) and fitting larger diameter tyres helps correct this.

John (Britprius)

Jeffrimerman and kenoarto like this.
  6. j12

j12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm currently running tires and rims from a gen3 prius. Fits perfectly.
    Why? I bought the stock rims w/new tires for $350 on craigslist because the guy wanted to increase the wheel size on his gen 3. And I was able to sell my gen2 wheels w/worn for $150 for the set!

Attached Files:

Justdidit likes this.
  7. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a set of 4 Goodyear Ultragrips (winter tyres) and will be picking up a set of 15" Avensis steelies tomorrow from a breakers. I'm going to fit the 195/65/15 winters to the steelies.

I reckoned that buying 4 used steelies would cost a lot less than buying 4 new winters for the existing 16s.

Hopefully they go on ok.