1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I know Japan needs relief aid from the world, but doesn't America owe Japan almost a trillion...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Mar 13, 2011.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    dollars?

I know this is going to sound simplistic, but instead of asking for help, couldn't they just ask for their debt to be paid in full earlier? That'd be more than enough money to fix everything.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In related news:

[​IMG]

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :eek:

I am almost lost for words at the complete idiocy of those people.

2 people like this.
  4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I second that.

It was hard to read that crap on my phone, I got the point after reading one or two.

What a bunch of jack holes! As a Veteran and a Reservist I was appalled by those idiots and there postings. I have been to Pearl Harbor many times stood on the deck of the USS Missouri BB-63 where the Japanese surrendered in Tokyo Harbor ending the war in September of 1945, 65 years ago. I have also been directly off the Mighty Mo's bow at the USS Arizona BB-39 Memorial twice now. I went the first time during the day and the Memorial was full of tourists many Japanesse and you could tell they were not there bragging and high fiving each other they appeared reserved and somber. They were there to pay there respects and to apologize for what there country did 69 years ago. The second time I went out on the first launch for a few reenlistment ceremony's and to raise the flag and boy was that something I will always remember and cherish.

What happened in Japan was not an act of war it was an act of nature they did not deserve that. Nobody deserves that but you can't help it either. It happened and all we can do is help, I am going to find out tomorrow how to donate to Japan to help.

I think we got ours if thats the way people want to look at it, when we flattened two of there city's killing and injuring hundreds of thousands.

If you think about it is amazing we are such good friends considering what we did to each other in the past.

Those people putting up those crap posts need to wake up and get a life and not live 69 years in the past. I would be willing to bet none of them are Prius drivers?

2 people like this.
  5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How shameful. Bet many of those even dare to call themselves "Christians"!

6. Papagoose

Papagoose New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The "Born-Again" crowd (I think that is everyone but my family) in our town is on this kick right now. "Japan had it coming", "It's payback time" and "Remember Pearl Harbor" are commented all over my local paper's website. Two of the big churches nearby have these gems on their signs this morning..."Remember, God created all things beautiful and all things destructive. Rainbows and Tsunamis are part of his plan. Which will THIS nation earn?" and "Prayers for the Christians of Japan".

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In an emergency, you need help NOW, finding trapped folks will not help after the first few days. Japan will not need the same kind of infrastructure help that Haiti needed, but the immediate help of rescue workers is invaluable. I sent UMCOR* cash not to give to the Japanese but to fund getting to the Japanese.

*100% of your donation goes to aid, the overhead is paid by the Methodist church. They work to help local agencies become able to help. UMCOR - UMCOR: The United Methodist Committee on Relief

8. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just saw the Japanese ambassador on Meet the Press: most of the talk was about the immediate concern of the Fukushima plant. But the ambassador was mentioning that he was grateful for the military aid that the US is providing (the Ronald Reagan has arrived and is providing aid).

As for the appalling rhetoric of some blogs...I suppose it will always be with us. In WWII, many more people died then who died at Pearl Harbor. Thousands of Japanese civilians were killed during our bombings of Japan. I think it's good that the majority of Americans were able to put their feelings aside, and provide aid and a military for post WWII Japan.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And I suppose this is how they justify New Orleans which was deserved because it happened to someone else.

I have never before wished for a tornado to level a church.

1 person likes this.
  10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did not mean to imply that Japan deserved this or doesn't need emergency help from others. But unlike the Sumatra Tsunami where they have to rely heavily on the good will of other countries for their rebuild, Japan has a giant pool of money to finance their rebuild cause America owes them a cool trillion.

11. Papagoose

Papagoose New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think they blamed Katrina on "The Gays".

Since moving here, I've half-wished for a disaster to wipe this town off the earth several times...as long as it waits until my house finally sells and I move away!

12. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    they brought Sushi to the US

thats worth a trillion bucks to me

13. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Debt forgiveness is not an appropriate response to emergencies, especially one of this urgency and magnitude.

There will be time enough to discuss macro economics, global financial matters and so on. But not while the house is on fire.

4 people like this.
  14. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Jimbo is right. The problem is not money but manpower to go rescue those still stranded. They're running out of food and water but not because lack of but the roads are either blocked or under water. Also they are running out of heating oil and blankets in evacuation facilities as well as baby food and milk. Many who lost everything don't have their prescriptions with them, The medical facilities have accepted any id so they can get their meds. Also many banks have allowed withdrawals with minimum id. So everyone is cooperating but there is a staggering amount of needs like needing meals for 30,000 mouths to feed.The big fear is that a in the next 3 days there is a 70% chance of a 7+ aftershock and after that 50%. This will destroy buildings that are still standing and trigger another set of tsunami. Smaller aftershocks are happenning every 3 hours.

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Call me cynical, but after hearing how pitifully the first-responders of 9/11 have been treated for the illnesses and injuries they received while helping others, I have concerns that if something like this happened in the US average citizens might think twice before risking their lives and well-being.

16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you think?
    2001 - 09/14/2001 - EPA, OSHA, Update Asbestos Data. Continue to reassure public of contamination fears

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why are we not prepared to air drop all necessities at a moments notice? would it be that difficult to have storage facilities for all non parishables?

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Americans planning for a future contingency?! Never happen. We can't even handle snow storms & hurricanes that are tracked for days and widely reported by the media. How much food, water, medicine & fuel do you have stockpiled?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i meant the japanese or humans in general. americans i've caught on to. i have enough for a month, but if my house gets swept away, it's not going to do me any good.

20. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wasn't talking about the current situation, I was referring to those who risked their lives to run towards the falling and fallen buildings to help others.
    It's been well documented that they have gotten very sick:
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_arising_from_the_September_11_attacks]Health effects arising from the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

And it's been very well documented that even "Proud Americans" don't want to help with their injuries:
    Senate GOP blocks 9/11 first responders health plan bill - The Hill's Healthwatch