1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I know this has been beat to death, but what's current status of HV batteries?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Aug 6, 2023.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I can't get Dr. Prius to connect through my BAFX bluetooth connector, so I don't know the details of the battery throwing the 3006 code. I went ahead and swapped in one of my other batteries to get that car working, and now I have this one sitting on the bench. It had only thrown the code recently, drove with no issue for years, and only driven <5m with the triangle lit. I could clear the code and drive again when I removed it from the car.

So re-reading a lot of old threads here, wondering what to do - rebuild or buy, what to buy, what I'd really be getting. I have three cars that need batteries now. Has anything changed recently? No new solutions, no place to buy new Gen1 cells? Does one member here still rent the charger?

2. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Only way to get new Gen1 modules is to buy a new OEM pack from Toyota, that is if you can find a parts dept. that still carries them. The old OEM battery is needed to exchange to get the core deposit back, which as I recall is around $1,200.

You can also attempt to repair one of the packs. With the battery on the bench measure all the individual module voltages. If you find any that are around 1.5V less that the others swap it with a good module from one of the other packs. This may fix the P3006 code.

ronlewis likes this.
  3. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You have a part number by chance?

4. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    #4 ammdb, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    ronlewis likes this.
  5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh my, prices like that are why the first Prius I bought sat in my garage from 2003-2006. No, I'm not spending that much on cars I bought fr a few hundred dollars and have no real need for - I got 10 other vehicles to drive, lol. I have three Prii that need batteries and one nearly dead battery. If I can salvage this battery by replacing a few cells, that would be good. I'd still have to buy two others. But I'll worry about those later.

If not, I'll probably use this nearly dead battery to test this car I'm working on - it hasn't started in years. If it's all good, I'll just have to buy a rebuilt battery, last one was <$1500 after shipping/taxes.

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I was kinda wondering if anyone has wasted their time retrofitting a new battery product for Gen 1s. I've read about cylindrical batteries and now see lithium packs for later model Prii. I got several real nice Prii that would be cool with lithium - like they're retrofitting old muscle cars with lithium.

Or maybe a good source for Gen1 cells? Did anyone ever start making new ones? probably not. How can any still be good this many years after the last production? When was the last production?

The rebuilders still using Gen2 cells? It's been 3 years since I bought my last one. I usually grab them out of wrecked Prii.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does hybrid automotive have any?

8. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok thought it was this one but wasn't sure if they updated to new part numbers

ouch, thought it was < $2k. I see running gen 1s for like $2k-$3.5k in my area.

RE the swapping, I think there is a thread somewhere with detailed instructions

#8 jamesprius, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    ronlewis likes this.
  9. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Good question, and thanks for the tip. They list modules as an offering, but I can't tell that they currently have any Gen1s available. I'll contact them when I'm ready for the battery. Gotta fix the bodywork on this car first.

bisco likes this.
  10. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    These cars have always been hard to value. First, it was the cost of a new battery when Toyota was the only source, and even later, as the cars got older (now), the potential cost of a battery holds down values. It holds them down more than it should though because so many of these cars are sold as non-runners. Always been true that people would have the battery go out and trade them in. That lowered the trade-in value. Now, they're having their cats stolen, and Toyota doesn't have any, so they're throwing them away, and that's reflected in the book values.

But, I don't go with that any more. I think these cars have a base value that any good clean used car has after all the purchase price is depreciated away. What matters is whether it runs well and can get someone to work everyday for a year. Any car that can do that is worth $3000 minimum. If it can do that at 40mpg, it's worth more. When they're also in excellent condition, they're worth more. And a lot of Gen1s are still in great shape.

It's crazy seeing the range in value quoted by the auction sites in different parts of the country. I've seen some list the car value at $6000. Others as low as $2500.

11. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Its possible to use Gen 4 modules, but that entails replacing 38 modules, you would need to find 1 pack plus 10 spares in all probability.

Help! I bricked my wife’s Prius! (HV Battery Swap Gone Bad) | PriusChat

12. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
  13. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think he's saying you can take Gen4 cells and pack them in the Gen1 box, like they've done with Gen2 cells for years.

14. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah I saw that, but the post also mentioned there was a series 20111-2015 that was the same size as the gen1, you could take the entire thing and drop it in instead of messing with each cell.

15. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The post is talking about modules in new replacement OEM Toyota Gen1 battery packs, which are sometimes referred as Gen1.5. They are not the same as Gen2 or later modules, but I believe they are improved versions of the original Gen1 modules.

16. CaveButcher

CaveButcher New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put one in mine. I got the car for nearly nothing so the cost wasn't a deal breaker. I sourced through Greentec, picked their highest end option and it's been performing above my expectations.

17. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, I bought one from Best Hybrid a couple of years ago that has worked fine. Just seeing what has changed. I nice lithium upgrade would be great.

18. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That is aftermarket I guess? I called a local dealer and they didn't know anything about it. They said as far they knew the gen1 battery cells hasn't changed.

Also the warranty is still 1 year in case anyone is wondering.

19. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not after market, only way to get new gen1 modules is to purchase a new HV battery from Toyota.

I recall warranty is extended to two years if installed by the dealer. Unlike after market rebuilt batteries, which like the rest of us can only get used Toyota modules, the OEM pack should last as long as the original, 10+ years.

20. jamesprius

jamesprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was just wondering if the new HV battery from Toyota were the "1.5" gen ones.

that 2 year could be a plus. the few dealers I called did not mention it.

The oem does seems like the way to go instead of constantly swapping modules out or dealing with warranties that are not honored.