1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I know who I am!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [​IMG]

I know who I am!

Mommy did a DNA test on me and we got the results today:

There isn't a drop of Labrador blood in me. Go figure.

20-35% each Afghanhound (there's my long legs, lean body, love of running and sight obsession) and Boston Terrier (there's where those ears and my coloring comes from)

10-20% each Scottish Terrier and Keeshond

10% or less each Weimaraner, Chihuahua and Dalmation (that's where the polka dots on my chest you can see under my white fur come from.)

Mommy has a run down of the breeds that explains my barking, clinging, cautiousness and hyper-alertness. Also my intelligence, affection and sense of humor. She also knows what medical problems I might develop.

Now.....where did those webbed toes and love of swimming come from?

[​IMG]

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An Aunt of mine had a Boston Terrier once upon a time. I thought I recognised those ears. :)

3. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Webbed toes and love of swimming suggest Newfie (Newfoundland), but I don't see that listed.

Where ever you came from,you are ADORABLE!!! Asking mom to please deliver this on your wittle nosie: MWAH!

4. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool! Did your vet use WisdomPanel? I picked up their brochure last time we were at the vet's, but I suspect our results would be "faint signals from breeds which are not strong enough to identify." And if they can identify some breeds, I won't be able to declare her as a Mystery Mutt anymore. :D

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had a discount coupon for an online pet store. It was the swap their cheek kind. I ended up paying $45. Most of the vet ones are more expensive (over $100) and require a blood sample, but there are more accurate and list more breeds.

I think the toes and possibly the swimming might come from the Keeshond. I know they're barge dogs so I assume they swim.

I was really surprised to see that he didn't have enough labrador to register. It still says Labrador mix on his license and I'm not changing that as when you look at him, that's what he looks like. But I *knew* sight hound. I just didn't know which one. I thought maybe Greyhound or whippet.

6. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My parents did those tests on us when we were kids. It really works.

7. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Your dog is adorable!

I didn't know they could do that (with a test). My dog is...a mystery. She's a rescue dog from Puerto Rico...There are some shelters here on the East Coast that bring up dogs from PR for adoption. She looks just like a Carolina Dog or other type of dingo, but when I met the rescue ladies from PR, they said that there are no dingos there.

Then again, my dog does have that odd-parts look, too, including weird stand-up ears that rotate independent of each other (one can turn forward and the other can turn backward at the same time). Mind if I ask which online pet store you used?

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Entirelypets.com

It's an ok test for $50.

A more accurate one requires blood, has to be done by the vet and runs over $100. But they have more dog breeds on their DNA list for comparison.

9. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you, Godiva. I will definitely do this when I have an extra $50. People are always commenting on/asking me about Trixie's breed and I would love to be able to tell them a bit more definitively.

Someone just told me she looked like a Portuguese Hound the other day. That was a totally new one.

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think I'm going to try this with Digby. The last one of these that I looked at did not include Min Pin as one of the breeds, but the Bio Pet Vet Lab does. We are pretty positive that Digby is part Min Pin, but I would love to know what the other part is.

I don't think it would work for Dingo; she looks to be at least part Australian Kelpie which isn't one of the breeds listed. From what I have read, it is pretty hard to determine if a Kelpie is "pure" unless you can trace back the ancestors. They are very similar to Australian Cattle Dog (which were bred from Kelpies and other dogs) and to Border Collies (they have ancestors in common). One book says Kelpies are similar to Border Collies except more independent and harder to handle. LOL.

Ramses does look somewhat like Dingo, but somehow not. He has a sleeker head and body than Dingo does. From the photos, I don't think his fur is as bushy as Dingo, especially the tail. I can see the sight hound build that he has. He looks very fast.

11. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh yeah, I was going to add that Labs usually have relatively wide heads, but Ramses has a narrow head, like a sight hound.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The tests with the cheeks swabs don't have as large a list of breeds as the blood ones. But I read up on the lists of breeds on some of the major blood DNA tests and I don't remember Kelpie on those either. So Dingo would probably come up as Australian Cattle Dog and Border Collie since those are the breeds responsible for Kelpie.

I think it's all very fascinating. Now that I see the list, I can see those dogs in Ramses. And when I read some of the traits of the breeds, I can see those too.

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ordered the kit for Digby. I'm gonna think about it, maybe some day I'll order one for Dingo.

One reason Kelpies don't show up on any of the lists is because they are not an AKC recognized breed. They are common in Australia, but not very common here. Some people import them and breed them for working sheep.

I don't have a clue how she ended up in the animal shelter as a puppy. I found out that she was originally adopted as an 8 week old puppy because when I gave her microchip number to the clerk at the Sac Co Animal Shelter, she told me that number was already registered to a different dog. It turned out that the different dog was her when she was a puppy. They thought that she was a Chow-Chow. When she was about 1 year old, the original owners surrendered her to the SPCA and I adopted her. The SPCA had her listed as a Kelpie/Schipperke mix. One of the vets that examined her at the SPCA listed her as a Border Collie mix.

After looking at a lot of photos, I think she most resembles a Kelpie. She would be known as a Barb because she is all black except for the white chest. I don't think her body type is right for a Schipperke. Also, she seems too small (24 lbs) to be a Border Collie. Her weight and height put her on the small end of the profile for a Kelpie.

14. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, that is so cool!!

15. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I finally got the results back for Digby. First of all, I think he is mostly Min Pin, but with some other small dog mixed in.

Here is a picture of Digby:

[​IMG]

Here is a Min Pin:
    [​IMG]

Here is the result of the DNA test:

Digby is 20 - 36% Bull Terrier

[​IMG]

Digby is 10 - 19% Great Dane (LOL)

[​IMG]

Digby is less than 10% Brittany

[​IMG]

Digby is less than 10% Pekingese

[​IMG]

Digby is less than 10% Parson Russell Terrier

[​IMG]

Digby is less than 10% Shih Tzu

[​IMG]

We have started calling him the Mini Great Dane. :D

Attached Files:

16. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A friend of mine had her mix breed dog checked, too. For sure, we thought her dog had either pug or peke in him because of the smooshed face and the curly tail, but it wasn't even on the radar. Instead, all these other breeds came up (like yours, dogfriend). It really makes me wonder if they truly are doing the test... or if they're mixing up the samples. I mean, your pooch doesn't look remotely like any of those breeds, and like my friend's analysis didn't make much sense either.

17. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My GF wonders if they did the test too. Maybe they just picked the breeds out of a hat.

The Great Dane part is pretty funny - Digby only weighs 15 lbs.

Our next door neighbor has a Great Dane - maybe the DNA somehow got on Digby's swab?

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just looking at him, I'd say he's 100% Digby. :cool:

19. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, he's 100% Digby.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can see the two terriers in him. His body is a mix, his head the Parsons and his ears the Bull.

I think some of the problems with DNA testing is that some breeds are a result of mixing with other breeds.

Calling Digby a min-pin mix is fine because that's what he looks like. And there are some ancestors missing from that test so I wouldn't be surprized if MinPin was one of them. Although looking at them side by side I can see Digby has something else in him. I think the Parsons is responsible for that thick tail too.

Ramses is still listed as a Lab mix even though there is no Lab in him. That's what he looks like. But I like having the test so I can let the vet know what he is for medical reasons. Some breeds are more likely to have certain medical problems. This way the vet isn't thinking Lab, he's thinking Afghan hound/ Boston terrier.

I'm surprised Chihuahua or Dachsund didn't come up with Digby. That would also explain the ears and his long body. Maybe the long body is the two little yappy lapdogs influence.