1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I leased it. I love it. I’ll leave it.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by WePriiMore, Aug 11, 2013.

1. WePriiMore

WePriiMore 2012 Prius Plug-in + 2012 Prius v Three

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    July 30th, 2013 marked our first full year driving our 2012 Prius Plug-In. My wife and I are both in the education business. It’s time for our 1st annual PIP report card.

For the entire year, with 9,914 miles driven, our average (gasoline) fuel economy was 58.1 mpg. More on this later.

Because of our monthly 450-500 mile 98-100% HV round trips on interstate highways to visit our grand children, we only obtained a 20% EV / 80% HV ratio for our year’s total of 9,914 miles. Far below the EV/HV ratios that many of you in this forum routinely obtain. Traveling at 70 mph with the heater always running in cold New York state weather yielded an HV mpg range for those trips of 43 – 57 mpg depending on outside air temperature (trip range of 15 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit outside ambient air temperature).

My wife commutes 18 miles/day to work with this car during the week:

• Unfortunately, she cannot charge the PIP at her job (remote parking lot - no charging stations).
    • We charge every night at around 2 AM in the morning.
    • Her commute breaks down into 7 total miles with traffic lights at 35-55 mph speed limits (mostly EV) and 11 total miles of expressway driving (mostly HV some EV) – much of that driving at over 65 mph.
    • Obviously, she uses all of our average 11-12 available EV miles on every daily commute to work.
    • My wife pays absolutely no attention to the PIP’s EV technology except to plug it in every night when she returns home from work. If I asked her to explain what it means to, “hyper-mile,” she would probably define the term as a “neurotic jogger screaming while running”. Because of this, she is the perfect person to drive this vehicle and put it through its paces. This car gets a real world test driven by an average driver who only wants to get from point A to point B on every trip with the highest mileage possible

Since 80% of our annual miles were mostly on expressways in HV mode, and if you assume the highway EPA estimate of 49 mpg for the PIP (51 city / 49 highway / 50 mpg combined) and then apply a 1.20 multiplier to that metric (20% EV miles), it yields an average annual expected mpg of 58.8. That was .7 mpg more than we actually obtained for the entire year across 37 fill ups tracked at Fuelly (58.1 mpg). So… we crushed the future 2025 CAFE standard for cars (54.5 mpg) in 2013 without even trying very hard at all. I’m impressed. This is what the PIP was engineered to do even though it's a whole lot more boring than focusing on and talking about racking up the EV miles. Triple digit mpg's? 1,000 mile plus tanks? Massive bragging rights for the most sustained EV miles in a single trip? Not so much for us. Not really possible in the way that my wife and I use this vehicle. So why did we buy it in the first place?

2012-2013 PIP REPORT CARD CONCLUSIONS: Our 2012 PIP is Version 1.0 of what’s to come for PHEV’s in the future. I am an early adopter, and I absolutely love this car. It truly meets Toyota’s goals to deliver the highest combined HV/EV mileage out there. This has been a great experience so far, however, I will turn it in as fast as I can when the lease expires in two years.

• Why? I want and expect even more out of the next “version” of this or some other similarly technologically endowed car. I’m looking for 35-40 EV miles or more per charge from some new “superstar” battery technology and an HV average of 60 mpg or more (the Volt's 38 mpg running its gas engine to charge batteries can eat my dust).
    • I've realized that 35-40 EV miles will really nicely cover our local commuting. 11-12 EV miles is fun, but it is not enough. It's just the beginning. I sense that we are all (in this forum) desirous of much, much more.
    • I might even buy instead of lease that next desired Version 2.0 of the PIP that I just described as I cruise into retirement in a couple of years. If it doesn't have my desired specs, I’ll keep on searching… onto the PIP Version 2.0, 3.0 or beyond!
    Keep on “plug-in”…

PIP 1st Yr EV-HV Ratio.JPG

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    585 kWh with 15% charging loss is 20 gallon equivalent.

With that you (your wife) saved 48 gallons. That is a good trade.

FYI, CAFE uses the unadjusted MPG straight from the dyno. Prius gets 71 MPG so it already surpassed the 2025 goal.

3. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree with you that a PIP with longer electric range would be the dream eco car at this point. What is also necessary is a quicker charge port, such as CHAdeMO, and the accessibility of these charge stations.

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    • :)I'll continue to maximize my EV mileage, but probably less so in HV mode and rely on my Prius to "do it's thing". Time is money.
    • :)I feel exactly the same way. I'm smitten and want more. Sooner, rather than later. But. I'll wait for the next Toyota Plug In. No desire for a Telsa, Volt 2, etc, just more technical advances and greater EV range at a Toyota price.
    Thanks for your insight and excellent testimonial.

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    For some people the current PiP has the exact sort of range they need. Remember that you only want to get that range which you can use very regularly. If you can't use it all, you've wasted money in several different ways.

fortytwok likes this.
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice write-up.

One correction though: The 2025 CAFE standard of 54.5 mpg is not the window sticker EPA. That will be ~ 35 mpg

7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)The current PIP range is perfect for my one way work commute, plus I charge at work. So, most work days I drive 100% EV. Still, a year round 35-40 mile (reliable) EV range would work best (for now) for other local travels. I would pay more for a future factory extended EV option if ever available.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice write up from the OP

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dont get the topic title?

I leased it. I love it. I’ll leave it.

i was expecting something in the line of that your going to sell it?

10. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The OP said: "This has been a great experience so far, however, I will turn it in as fast as I can when the lease expires in two years."

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to get a new one as fast as possible?

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't feel bad at all. After a 5,200 mile vacation trip, I only had a 15% EV ratio and a 50 mpg computer average (62 lifetime)! If you have a short commute that is all electric and then do a couple of longer weekend runs, the ratio is not going to be high. These people with high EV ratios must either never go anywhere or use another car when they do!

The only gliding I ever do is when I know backing off the acceleratior won't slow me down. Some people here also seem to be exaggerating the PIP benefit for longer trips. My mileage is up 4 to 6 mpgs, but at least 3 of that is just down to the changing from the 17 inch to 15 inch wheels. If you actually go the 75 mph speed limit out west, the mileage is not going to be great, unless you are always running downhill!

And I absolutely agree with you regarding moving on at the end of your lease. Of course, since the PIP is so much like a normal Prius, there's no great harm in buying either, as long as you get a deal and don't pay too much if any of the sticker premium.

13. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think OP meant to get the next generation PIP as fast as possible.

14. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Which is why we need two kWh choices for the PiP.

Tesla has the 60 kWh and 85 kWh batteries as choices.

For the PiP it'd be nice to have 4.4 kWh and 8.8 kWh. Just charge extra for the 8.8 kWh option.

8.8 kWh would roughly double the EV range and would still be able to charge in less than 8 hours on L1.

15. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    +1

16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    From a pure efficiency stand point, you only want to get the very smallest battery size adequate to your needs that you can use on a very regular basis. If you only need more than 15 miles a few times per week, than you don't need any larger battery than what the PiP currently offers.

usbseawolf2000 and Tracksyde like this.
  17. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :( Only in theory. I would like enough battery range to travel to & from work without charging, plus a little extra. As stated 35-40 miles winter range would work for me. No one here is complaining about having too much PIP EV range.

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you should have bought a Volt.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  19. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) As nice as I can say it, don't assume. I'm not the only PIP owner on PriusChat wanting more EV range. I have no desire for a Volt, or a all EV Leaf, or high dollar Telsa. I'll patiently wait for the 4th generation Prius/PIP and see what available at that time. I bought a Toyota Prius for a reason.

usbseawolf2000, JMD and plchung like this.
  20. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with those who wish for longer EV range while my driving is only 25 % is in EV I still wish I had at lest 25-30 miles per charge. A Volt after EV doesnt get the 55 -60 MPG that I get on my twice weekly drive to my shore house.