1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I lost the piece of my non-SKS key fob that allows me to start the car when inserted into the slot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Slouu, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Slouu

Slouu New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my current fob broke apart and I lost the little black part near the bottom of the fob that(apparently) allows the car to start when you insert the fob into the slot, and now the car won’t start.

In the picture, the top fob is the current one missing the part, it’s that little rectangle shaped thing missing on the bottom of the left side. I bought a new aftermarket fob, and it is pictured below the current one with the correct part. 6C98F3AE-716A-4140-83B3-1DEE430C8A71.jpeg

I can still use the current fob to lock/unlock the doors, and when I tried the chicken dance to reprogram the new fob, the car seems to still detect that the current fob IS in fact inserted. However, I can’t get the reprogramming process to work and I’m not even sure I’m actually putting the car into reprogramming mode in the first place.

My question is, has anyone else had this experience(missing that specific part of the fob) or does anybody know if the chicken dance will actually work if the fob is missing that part?

thanks!

Note: the current fob has a black logo and the new one has no logo FWIW they also both have good batteries as far as I can tell.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't think there's much hope if you bust the fob apart and you lose that bottom chip I don't know what you're going to do

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is an interesting question... People sometimes forget to transfer that little black block when they get a new FOB case, but we've never had someone explain what to do to replace it. The extreme option of course is wipe all FOBs and reseed them into the system, which is what an electronic locksmith can do via Toyota Techstream's feature for locksmith's that comes with a pretty big monthly fee.

Alternatively, you can run techstream on an old windows computer and buy the access key to wipe and reseed from a business in europe that can give you one based on a mathematical calculation using your VIN number.

But maybe there's other options that people on here might know? I believe that the little black block is a simple RFID chip and there's ways to build a matching RFID chip, but of course, you don't have that chip anymore, so...

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    U need to buy digital keys for techstream. Mother Toyota doesn't want us to get ahold of these buy a few ebayers sell em bundle w the latest version of techstream on fleabay. That allows u to program a key even if u have no old keys

5. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are in the same situation as I was when I bought a 2008 last month and the seller didnt tell me he had put in a new fob case, and he was unaware of that little piece and threw it in the trash, Car would start as long as fob is NOT in the slot.

To fix the problem, I was forced to get a new FOB from Toyota, 200 dollars. Then use techstream on a laptop, go to a european website and buy some tokens to get a key and use techstream to make the new key work, you need to get a GOOD battery from another REAL car and jump it to your prius, so your battery does not go dead while doing all this or you are really screwed, you can try a battery charger but it may cause problems.

In the end, if this sound like too much, you need the fob and either toyota or a good locksmith that understands and does all of this.