1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love how my '10 Prius handles!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Penny's Dad, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On a positive note! I just drove 45 miles on a mix of freeway-twisty two lane and urban driving and I had a blast.

I managed to maintain a constant distance behind an agressive driving late model Corvette around a 270 degree on ramp and the car remained flat and neutral all the way around! This car may not be a sports car but it is certainly sporty and it certainly can be fun!

Kudo's to Toyota!

2. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: I love how my '10 Prius handels!

For what it is and considering the intened purpose of these cars, they really do handle.. Nice!
    Not an easy duty for a car that has to have uber efficient tires, low weight and a fuel efficient engine. What surprised me is how the suspension seemed to "break-in". At first it was jarring and harsh but after a few hundred miles it definately got better. My wife who had not ridden in it for a week while I was putting miles on it was surprised at how much better it rode.
    I'm more and more satisfied with mine as time goes on.

1 person likes this.
  3. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I will also purchase a CD featuring "Water Music" so my Prius can also "Handel"...LOL...I'm cracking myself up! Someone please edit the thread title...

4. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

What surprised me is how the suspension seemed to "break-in". At first it was jarring and harsh but after a few hundred miles it definately got better. My wife who had not ridden in it for a week while I was putting miles on it was surprised at how much better it rode.
    I'm more and more satisfied with mine as time goes on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...the suspension on mine also seemed harsher when I first purchased...I just chalked my change in perception to "getting used to it" after riding in a fairly plush SUV for 3-years...I do not know...seems strange that the suspension could "soften" after only 2-months though. Perhaps in an original Mini with their cone rubber suspensions but I doubt in a Prius.

5. ScottG10

ScottG10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I think the break-in thing is plausable. I once installed new struts on a Caddy and pretty much destroyed the ride for two weeks. I think the term for it is "stiction", which is basically how smooth a shock moves through its travel. They improve alot after they cycle a good number of times.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I just finished two 100+ mile trips this weekend. These trips were to two places where there is not an easy way to get from here to there. A lot of turns and twists.

I was also very pleased with how the car handled at highway speeds through sharp curves and up and down ramps. Like it was said above, for a car that was designed to be a super efficient car, it really does handle well.

7. Stangmansteve

Stangmansteve New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yes my dad and I went out in it today and I must say it handles quite well...every day I'm more and more surprised.

8. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yes! Prius handling in adverse conditions is underrated. Driving on the Ohio pike in a blizzard and in North Carolina in an ice storm, I have not had a car - Mercedes, Lexus and Jaguar included - in which I felt so confident. Let's stress the positive.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I was keeping up with a speedy Explorer on a twisty country lane in PWR Mode. I don't have the quicker steering of the V but it was surprisingly (esp. given what I've expected from a Prius from the Gen 2). I can imagine that the quicker steering + 17" alloys is even more fun.

1 person likes this.
  10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave a Ford XR6 driver a hurry up in my work car the other week on a very windy road, he seemed to be pushing hard and the XR6 was just starting to get out of shape on a couple of bends.
    My work car is a 100 series Toyota Land Cruiser!! I had some in reserve, no squealing and I was hardly touching the brakes! Must have been frustrating seeing that big white thing in the mirror constantly.
    As soon as we hit a straight road he floored it and got away while I waited for another car at the stop sign.

I have never found Toyotas to be boring, even the old 1968 Crown handles OK for its era.

1 person likes this.
  11. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I once owned a 1983 Mazda RX7...I loved that car and only 3 serious accidents (inflicted upon the Mazda by other drivers) caused me to sell after 6 years. What I always remembered about the car was the low speed handleing that made ever parking garage maneuvering enjoyable.

I got that feeling back! Am I 24 again? Odd to think of a Prius as a late mid-life crisis car.

12. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the title edit! I felt a bit foolish...thought I could edit the title after the fact...My mistake should have remembered from other forums.

13. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I find my Prius just handles competently, but nothing more. Steering is numb and ratio is on the slow side, but that's expected on a commuter car.

14. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are of course entitled to your opinion...

I had a first gen Infinity G20 cited by Motortrend as "the best handling front wheel drive car" in its day. It was solid and had quite a good steering feel. I don't notice much difference with this Prius. I also drove a 2000 BMW 328I for a few years...and Honestly I cannot recall its steering ratio being any quicker...
    I certainly think this car is better handling than my 3.2 TL (maybe because my head does not brush the roof). Anyway perhaps you drove a Corvette prior to this..I do not know. It's all subjective. Several publications and web comparisons back me up though about Prius handling being (sporty if not a sports car).

Anyway having not expected to enjoy good handling in this car, I am pleasantly suprised!

Besides I was tired of all the negative complaint threads!

15. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My buddy has a Gen III package 2, and while handling is better than the Gen II base model, the Touring version of the Gen II, to me, handles better than the Gen III base model.

I do not understand why Toyota did not make a Touring version for the Gen III.

1 person likes this.
  16. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are probably saving that and the aero package for the mid cycle freshening!

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the Touring would be the "V", no?? It has the quicker steering ratio (and upgraded EPS motor) and the larger 17" alloys. It's just this time, all the models got the "Euro" suspension. Last time, only the Touring had the stiffer suspension.

Look at the Japanese spec (in the Knowledge Base). the "Touring Selection" models have a Euro-Tuned suspension which means the 15" alloy models in Japan have a softer suspension setup than the North American models.

18. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry. I just came from an Acura RDX with SH-AWD that stuck to the road like a magnet. My Prius V handles like a tug boat compared to it! But I knew what I was buying and am enjoying my Prius so far. My wife is happy that I have to drive slower now. :)

19. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So you're comparing the handling of your Prius to 10+ year old cars? I've never read anywhere that the Prius was sporty driving. Heck its got a solid beam rear suspension. Competent and able to stay clear of trouble yes, but sporty, no.

20. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Hey! Those were some pretty terrific handling cars (10 years ago) I would also throw in my RX7 from 20 years ago! That's my reference anyway since my last 3 cars in order were Acura 3.2 Honda Pilot, Murano...None of which handled more enjoyably than this Prius...

For handling reference see Car and Driver May 2009 Page 44.