1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love keyless entry!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Barcelona Red, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Barcelona Red

Barcelona Red OM dream mobile sea glass

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My last car was 10 years old, so it didn't have this feature. I think it's really neat, you don't even have to press the fob to open the car. And if you leave it in the car and try to lock it, it wont let you. It's so hi-tech!:)

2. pdxfilms

pdxfilms new pri guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    this has to be one of my favorite features of my week-and-a-day old toy!

Problem is, now I want the same feature for my house!!!

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love keyless too :D

4. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LOL!!!

I was wondering if I was the only person thinking that....You know that at least one time I've walked up to the front door of the house, and without taking the keys out of my pocket, just grabbed the door handle and tried to open it....needless to say it didn't work and I felt like a complete idiot, but it would be great if it worked.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HAHAHAHAHA i thought i was the only one that thought this as well....def. would be awesome

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    On the negative side, its really irritating to drive a different vehicle and have to dig out the keys every time you want to drive it. Seems so backward. :p

7. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    SKS is a very cool feature. I don't wont to bust any bubble. But, what ever you do don't lose the smart keys. It generally cost around $260 more to make a copy and or replacement vs the mentally challenged keys on older cars.

Just a word to the wise

:eyebrows:

8. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Back in 1984 I had a Mercury Grand Marquis. It had keyless entry via a punch pad on the door. I lived at the beach in New Jersey. I was able to leave the keys in the car and walk the beach, swim etc. At the end of the day I would punch in the 4 digit code and unlock the doors. I never had to worry about loosing my keys while at the beach. :third:

9. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    True, though that's not that much more than the case for Ford that I ditched to get the Prius. That vehicle had an old-fashioned mechanical key with a passive anti-theft device (PATS) chip built in (even a correctly cut key without the chip wouldn't start the car and keep it running.) From Ford, those keys were about $150 a pop.

That's not to denigrate Austin50mpg's warning, but no one should freak that the SKS key is that special because of it's price. Most vehicles with mechanical keys that incorporate a PATS chip have three-digit price tags for replacements. I think I read somewhere that either Lexus or Mercedes has a four digit price for replacing a lost key (yes that would include a comma in the price too).....go figure.

10. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did I hear someone said "SmaryKey Entry doors"?
    Non-vihicle Field/TOKAI RIKA CO., LTD.
    from the same maker who made the SmartKey system on Prius.

Have you seen the new system from Mazda (made by Denso)?
    It's about 3mm thick and has a footprint as a business card.
    You guess it. You can put it in your wallet. And it resists bending
    very well (necessary to be in your wallet).
    And, it also comes with "autolock" feature so that the vehicle
    will lock itself after you walk away provided that all doors are closed.
    (That is the feature that got turned off by Toyota for USA market).

11. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is one of my favorite features of the car too. I find it funny when Prius shoppers state that they do not need a fancy SKS system on their Prius. It is used every time you use your car! Soon every car will have this feature. I also wish it locked the doors when you walked away.

12. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. And here I thought *I* was the only one.
    Interesting. But where can I actually get one? Even a little more information would be nice, that site is really scarce on details.

13. Linden

Linden New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You could just buy the house locks that have the finger print feature. Kinda works like the smart key. (since you just walk up to it and put your finger under the sensor)

Weiser Lock: Product Series: SmartScanâ„¢

My aunt bought this door lock, its pretty cool.

I'm really considering getting it for my house - as I love the Smark Key for my car, so why not have the same ability with my house :) .... although I still have to get my keys out of my pocket to close my garage door :p (For some reason - even though I have to take the keys out of my pocket to open the house - I have forgotten to close my garage at least 4 or 5 times since I bought the car .. I think its because I don't have my keys in hand when I exit the garage - I have a key chain fob for a door opener .. when I'm in the Prius I just use the Rear View Mirror button)

14. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about this specific brand, but have you seen the Mythbusters episode where they tested (and rather easily defeated) such a lock. No thanks, I'll pass. I still prefer needing a physical token to get in...

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We love SKS too! Our other hybrid the '06 Lexus SUV doesn't even have it! A $50K+ car .. with mechanical key/80yr old technology? :p The Prius has it beat in that regard, and a few others to boot!

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, here is a bit of trivia that just seems to fit here.
    Did you know that Prius hasn't got a steering lock? I'm assuming the transmission lock suffices.

You would have to laugh if a thief wanted to steal a Prius and got in with the usual screwdriver etc to force the lock ...

... that it hasn't got.:eek: