1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love my undersized, underpowered econobox

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CitizenjaQ, Apr 17, 2005.

1. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

Last weekend I was at the swap shop at the city recycling center. Here people take stuff that they don't want anymore, but either can't really sell or don't want to bother with. There are often old PCs, books aplenty and less-than-perfect furniture.

It just so happens that I found a perfectly usable, if slightly mildewish and scratched, microwave cart. It also just so happens that two people I know are getting a new apartment, and are in need of free furniture.

I drag the thing over to my Prius. Will it fit? Width is no problem. Width wouldn't have been a problem in my '92 Protege either. The height and depth, however, would've thoroughly stymied that car. I fold down the Prius's seats and make a visual guesstimate. Looks like it'll get all the way in, but shoot, I'd hate to ruin that nice carpeting.

I open the secret compartment at the back of the trunk floor. Hooray! Old sheets I stowed in there! (Along with a jumpstarter, general toolkit, 12V vacuum cleaner and bungee cords. All without taking up any "real" trunk space.) Down lays the sheet and in goes the cart. The liftback closes with vast inches to spare between the cart's edge and the rear glass.

I drove around for days with that behemoth, and still got over 52mpg.

I also went to a yard sale that day where a guy couldn't figure out how to fit a TV in his SUV without leaving a row of seats behind. Every day I love my James more and more and more.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

At least once a month, I thank Toyota that they decided to make the NextGen Prius a Hatchback.

Oh, what a feeling! :lol:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta love it :D

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just yesterday we hauled a recently departed 32 inch TV to a free recycle event arranged by the city. It was one of those heavy tube models which takes two to carry. To my amazement, without folding down the back seats or even removing the cover bar, it fit in the trunk area with plenty of room to spare.

This car can haul! :)

5. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi All,

My stepson is thrilled that his Fender Stratocaster and large Marshall amp will fit in the back cargo area with the cargo cover completely concealing the fact that anything good is in there.

I have also been able to carry to 15 cubic foot bags of packing peanuts and 4 24" x 24" boxes (flat) in the back area with both seats folded down while still being able to see out the back.

I also carry the emergency sheet in the lower cargo space as well as an air compressor, a reusable shopping bag from Ikea (gigantic), a cargo tote that will hold 6 full grocery bags full of items easy and various and sundry other items as the mood strikes.

I also keep a container of window wipes and monitor wipes back there just in case.

The only difficulty I have run into with this car is that when I stop at a garage sale, swap meet or the like, I don't want to purchase anything that might get the car dirty. It really did put a lid on my impulse buying :)!

Take care all & have a great week!

Tisza