1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love that expression

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yoda, Jul 10, 2005.

1. yoda

yoda Member

Hey All,

I used to love that look when I'd drive around in my Trans-Am - you know - People with that "wow, that's a cool car" look as you drive by.

I have to say - I get more satisfaction out of the looks I'm getting now!

I just went to the neighborhood market to pickup a couple of things. While I was driving off, A couple was watching me with that "confused", unmistakeable, "how are you driving around the parking lot WITHOUT your engine running?" look.

I just LOVE that!

Yoda

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. HYACK

HYACK New Member

or just maybe the good folks from your market were just wonderin: "oh man, that poor guy driving around grinning doesn't even know he's got a bag of groceries on his roof!)

hehehe ;)

4. LT1bird

LT1bird New Member

Hey Yoda,

I too had a Firebird... I guess that makes us "two birds
    of the same feather." :lol: Mine was an all-black '95 Formula with
    the LT1, 17" black ZR1's, flowmaster 3 inch catback, hypertech power programmer III, B&M Ripper shifter, a 5" Autometer tach, and a great sound system (two 10" JL audio subs, a Rockford Fosgate amp, and
    a JVC headunit). God I miss the tire-melting torque!!! What I don't
    miss is the 18 MPG and waking up the neighborhood when I started
    the car in the morning.

Cheers,

LT1bird

5. BluePriusPA

BluePriusPA New Member

I love the expression on peoples faces when your at the gas pump and stop at $14.00 and they are pumping $35-$40 in their SUV's. I had someone ask me "Is it really full?" I just laughed and said YES!!!!! :) I have been seeing alot more Prius on the road in the last month since I bought mine. Gas around here has hit $2.35 for 87 octane. My Dad has been a mechanic fo 60 years, I took the car to show him, he was very impressed with the technology. Dad thought it would be a dog on the highway, he couldn't believe the get up and go it has :D . He is 6' tall and was very comfortable drving my Prius. Gas mileage without a/c 49.8, with a/c on 46.7 mostly driving in town 35-45 mph. I Love my Prius!!!! :D

6. helmkera

helmkera Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And around here (Chicago) 87 octane gas is over $2.50. You are starting to see notices on gas pumps that if you exceed $50 on credit card purchase, pumping will stop and you will have to feed the credit card a second time. I am a new Prius owner and just filled up (unfortunately in the city) for the first time -- 49.9 MPG! I am very happy.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A video place shares a parking lot with a coffee shop. I was dropping off some videos the other day.
    It went like this:
    1) stealth into the parking lot and park. [P]
    2) run inside and return the videos.
    3) slip into [R], back up, [D] to exit.
    4) notice that there's a couple sitting outside the coffee shop just STARING at me.
    5) smile, nod, stealth away.

8. timyr6

timyr6 New Member

never underestimate the sneakiness, sir

9. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LT1bird\";p=\"106192)</div>
    Thats why I kept mine. :wink:

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"106319)</div>
    I get that all the time at school when I'm cruising through the parking lot in Stealth mode... People walk by and in the rearview mirror you can see them turn around and look at you like you're from Mars.

I had a friend approach me to chat as I was leaving the lot in my Pri... car finished warming up and the engine shut off. My friend's eyes got all big and the only thing he could say was "Wow. That's wild!"

11. _echo

_echo Junior Member

When I first got my prius, I didn't know that stealth mode was THAT quiet...
    I was in a crowded parking lot looking for a space, when a lady in front of my practically jumped like 3 feet in the air. she was talking on the phone, I guess since the car was so quiet that she didn't really know I was behind her.

Despite that, I still think that parking lot stealth mode is one of the COOLEST features of this car. Getting looks from people on the sidewalk has gotta be one of the fringe benefits of driving a prius.

Oop, and trying to drive a 'normal' car, and forgetting that you have to START the engine.... how quaint! :)

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_echo\";p=\"106490)</div>
    SOmeone else said it some time ago but I just love saying it: "that's just so 20th century."

13. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

So what would the "turn of the century" phrase be?

You "Power" the engine.

And don't let anyone try to Power your Prius if you've seen them summon an elevator with multiple button pressings.

We have these people at work that think if they pump the elevator button, the elevator will POP right up to their floor.

Their fingers bend waaay back... and they're still waiting...