1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love the Prius, trying to convince myself to lease a 2nd!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J&TFalk, May 9, 2010.

1. J&TFalk

J&TFalk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well my wife just leased a Prius and we both love it. We got a Prius II and in hindsight we probably should have just got a Prius III but anyways Prius II is just great.

For someone with a little OCD, trying to get better MPG is a fun little game :)

So now I find myself in the position that my Ford Escape lease is expiring in a several months and I really want to get a 2nd Prius! Initially we where going to go with 1 Prius/1 SUV type for Buffalo, NY weather.

I am really trying to justify getting a 2nd Prius despite snowy winters. I drive to work on a strech of highway known as the "400" and several times last winter I have seen cars on the side of the road or in the ditch. With some careful driving and the AWD on the Escape, getting to work has not been a problem.

The whole snow tire debate does have me a little concerned, I don't want to mess up my tire pressure monitoring system by putitng snow tires on. It seems that good snow tires are the way to go though in Buffalo for a sedan like the Prius.

Guys, help me decide here! What do you think? Thanks

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes to snow tyres
    Yes to checking tyre pressures once a month or so

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 Prius did better this winter with Michalin Ice-X snow tires then my Toyota 4Runner did with 4 wheel drive. The Prius cannot make it through deep snow like the SUV but it handles a lot better than the 4Runner.

I had snow tires from Nov 1st to April 1st. I did not get the TPMS sensors installed. Everything was fine.

As far as leasing, it is bad deal. Buying/Leasing a new car ever 3 years is a huge waste of money. If your house is paid for and you make $200,000 a year and like to waste money then a lease might be good. If not, save the money and keep the car a few extra years after it takes the big depression hit. Or buy one coming off a three year lease.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does an Escape Hybrid not fit your needs?

5. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I live down near New York City, and in a cold but occasionally brutal winter weather zone. Buffalo is in an Always Brutal Winter Weather Zone. I love my prius, I keep a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee for breaking Out when the snow plow has me plowed in. The Prius can never do that. I have such heavy snow occasionally, you don't. I have warm winters with no snow at all some years, you don't. I would not drive only a Prius if I lived where you live. Personal Transportation is weather dependent, it is not exempt from such considerations. The Highlander Hybrid is nice too.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

6. Buffalonian

Buffalonian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since you live in the Buffalo "Southtowns", I recommend having an SUV as well as your Prius, if you can afford to do so. The issue is not just the tires, but also the very low clearance on the Prius. Although the highways are plowed quickly, you will get caught in the occasional heavy snow storm where road clearance is a problem - if not on the highway, then on your local streets or drifted over driveway.

(To those who don't live in the Buffalo area: The majority of our snowstorms result from lake-effect [Lake Erie] storms, which generally fall south of Buffalo in the "Southtowns" and ski areas. Traveling on the "400" as J&T Falk do, or other southbound routes (219, Thruway south of Buffalo), can sometimes be problematical with both falling and drifting snow.)

Although we didn't use our Prius too much over the winter, when we did, the tires it came with gripped the road surprisingly well in light snow.

7. J&TFalk

J&TFalk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for all of the replies, The initial plan was that I would drive the Prius Sring, Summer, & Fall then switch to the SUV in the Winter months.

My wife would drive the Prius in the Winter months to work, she works maybe 3 miles from home whereas I work 15 miles and need to get on a length of the 400. Buffalonian is right, the lake effect and blowing/drifting snow can be troublesome.

I have seen sedans and compacts driving the 400 during Winter storms. My Ford Escape has no trouble leaving the driveway at 6:00AM and backing through 2 feet of high snow by 3 feet wide that the snowplow dumped through the night and buried the end of the driveway.

It's still is tempting to try it with a 2nd Prius and a good set a snow tires, plus giving myself an extra 20-30 min start in the morning for the slow driving. With enough time you can get anywhere, even in a car that is not AWD

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I lived in the city of Buffalo for years, and drove a small FWD Mitsu Mirage without any problems at all. OTOH, I soon figured out that part of living in snow country was getting up early enough to shovel the driveway and sidewalk -- occasionally more than once a day.

Procrastination is my middle name, but not when it comes to cars and snow.