1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love winter! but maybe not with the prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stanleyjohn, Jul 6, 2006.

1. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know its a bit early to start thinking winter and snow,but im just getting a head start.Ive been reading about the traction control causing the car to stop!! if going up moderate hills and loosing traction.This may be a problem for me because in other front wheel drive cars i tend to slip some while going up some of the hills around here in the snow.Ive always managed! but what about the prius?If it decides to shut down when i slip alittle coming up the hill then what??.I will look for good snow tires for a start.Too bad the traction control couldnt be disabled when i need it to be.I heard that toyota may be addressing this problem!i hope so.

Opps!! didnt realise this subject was bought up earlier!Still zzzzzzzzzzz i guess

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Traction control, not the VSC, is the culprit for the problem you describe. But the car doesn't just "stop"...the wheels do stop turning, then they start and stop depending upon the amount of slippage. Good snow tires are definately key if you live in an area with lots of steep hills and lots of snow.

Through 2 winters in Missouri with my Prius I've not yet encountered a situation that the car couldn't handle, but then I didn't go out looking for trouble either.

3. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stan, relax! I managed quite well through the past winter around here with no trouble at all in the snow with the Prius, even with the stock tires. My biggest concern was the ground clearance, but that's also coming off of 20 years of either SUV's or pickups, all 4WD. Granted, I do still have the 4x4 pickup as a backup and used it on only one snowy day for work that I probably otherwise would have called in and said I couldn't make it in. And also granted, it was a fairly mild winter with regard to snowfall (I was in the Caribbean when the blizzard hit in February! :lol: )

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lots of people have driven lots of Priuses through several winters. The consensus is that if you have very deep snow for which you would normally need an SUV, you still need an SUV. But the Prius out-performs most conventional cars in winter conditions.

I drove mine through one and a half winters in Fargo, N.D.: Bitterly-cold temperatures, lots of ice, but only moderate snowfall. It was a big improvement over my old '89 Civic. The traction control and VSC work wonders.

Traction Control is fantastic!!!!!!!!!! A few people have complained that on occasion it is too sensitive. But when you have to start out from a stop at an icy intersection, it will get you going faster than conventional cars without it. I would see cars spinning their tires and sliding from side to side as they tried to get going. Then when my turn came I'd step on the gas and the car would take over, reducing throttle (so I didn't have to judge how much to apply) and preventing tire-spinning, and I'd be through the intersection quicker than anything other than a 4WD or AWD. The complaint about TC is that if there is a bit of loose sand on an otherwise good solid road, the TC will kick in and slow you down rather than spinning the tires to kick away the sand. The payoff is that on ice it will get you going where other cars cannot.

And VSC is a life-saver: it prevents loss of control during turns. You must get a package that includes VSC. It is a safety feature. As are the side air bags.

Conclusion: For very deep snow, don't get a Prius, or any other 2WD car. Otherwise, the Prius is an excellent winter car.

Caveats: Because of the small engine, heat takes longer to come than in a gas-guzzler. And do get good winter or all-season tires, they'll makea huge difference.

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    get snow tires on dedicated steel wheels from tirerack.com (or print out the price from tirerack.com and get a local store to match it; that's what I did, and now they mount/dismount them every year for free, so I don't do it myself anymore), you won't regret it. it'll turn your prius into a tractor. blizzak revos are fantastic. even if the hills aren't big enough to really be a problem with the OEM tires, the difference in stopping power on ice and snow is the real big benefit.

consider 'em free...you're saving wear on your summer tires while the snows are on. just costs you a couple hundred for the wheels, if you look at it that way.

rob (MN)

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've driven through *SIX* winters in Minnesota now with two different Prius and four different types of tire. It's no big deal.

The factory tires deliver the basics. High-Traction all-season tires are the preferred. Those that require the best grip go for dedictated snow tires (and rims).

7. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was lucky last winter and evaded driving in the couple of bad storms we had. used to live in CT and know how bad it can be-

More worried about the other stupid drivers who don't know what they are doing.

The other key to winter driving is to be very conservative- drive slower, brake lighter & longer- let the idiots who are in a hurry pass you......

remember the tortise and the hare- slow & steady wins!