1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I made some important decisions today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Dec 28, 2005.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Okay so I went to a dealership and I looked at the red. As much as I like it, I can see myself getting sick of it. It definitely is a beautiful red, but I think I am gonna stick with black.

Also, I think I am going to get package 7 instead of 8. I actually just spoke to the guy I am dealing with and my package 8 will be arriving at the port January 3rd and I can be getting it anytime between the 5th and 10th. If I decide to take package 7, then I will have to wait another 2 weeks which is fine. The thing is, I am not sure if this car really needs leather. It defeats the purpose of the car and I just think I would be fine without it.

I was actually pretty interested in package 6 but I was just told that Southern California isn't getting any package 6's in. I was having 2nd thoughts about the navigation because I never use it on the car we have now. But package 3 is missing stuff I want so that's not an option for me.

Anyway, I think I am gonna maybe go for the pakage 7. It saves $1200.00 in the long run and that's a lot for me.

Any comments? ;)

2. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just happened to see a red prius next door to my house today. Actually, didn't like the look of it as much as I thought I would...

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Star Brite: sounds like 6 or 7 will do ya!

After years of ambivalent feelings on red cars, I've decided I like looking at OTHER people's red cars, and driving one occasionally, rather than owning one. Can't figure that out. Oh, well. I like "bold", and seaside isn't a bold blue, but none of the Prius colors, save black and white, qualifies as bold.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yes, another person driving a black prius :)

5. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ^ I see sooo many black Prius' on the street all the time. Too bad most of the people keep them filthy.

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Well it's hard in the wintertime to keep cars clean here. For example my daughters car the other day was filthy dirty. She said she wanted to go get it washed but was afraid it would just get dirty again. I told her to just take a pitcher of warm water and to try to rinse some of the dirty/salt off it. The next day I say her car I asked her why she didn't do what I told her to do. She said she went and washed it at a car wash yesterday. I was like WHAT! I can't tell??!!! :eek:

That's WI winters for ya :rolleyes:

PS Trade you locations :huh:

7. jrohland

jrohland Guest

My clothe interior is starting to look dingy after 3 months/3500 miles. If I had the money to get leather, I would do it. Of course, I have a 10 year old son!

jrohland

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I'm not sure I get it. How exactly does leather defeat the purpose of the car? What exactly do you consider the purpose of the car to be?

9. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I figure its a lot easier to put different fabric seat covers on if you get sick of the leather then to put leather on if you get sick of cloth. That and leather is more likely to wear better in the log run.

10. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

Back in the old days....early last year..... :lol: you took what you could get.
    I always wanted the Tideland but after waiting nine months I was offered a Salsa.
    I took it and I'm so happy I did I love the color, but too each his own. Just enjoy the car when you get one.

P.S.
    After seeing the Barcelona Red Metallic I could see how you would not care to own that color. Way too bright for my taste. I'd also wait for my color of choice it that was what I was offered.

11. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

There is a reason why Honda decided NOT to put leather on any of their Civic's. Same reason that Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, etc, decided not to put leather on some of their vehicles. Bottomline is that the Prius is an "Econo-box" with lots of tech gadgets. Leather seats is more a luxury car item. Most of these tech gadgets can be found on higher end, luxury cars, but, being a Hybrid, these tech gadgets are a good match on the Prius. These same tech gadgets would not be a good match on lets say an ICE Civic or a Sentra.

12. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I completely agree with the concern about getting tired of the red. I wanted Salsa, but with the 2006 accessories, so when the time comes I'll be joining the ranks of the black Prius drivers. Barcelona is too bright for me. I also don't want leather, and I'm only going to take a nav system if either the dealer makes me a massive deal....or I hit the lotto (which isn't likely since I've bought 2 tix in the last 5 years).

Hope you enjoy your new car:) I'm waiting til the weather warms up again, and then starts the bidding war with dealers...lowest price wins....and I'm pretty patient, so best price before June 30th wins. My aim is mid-March, but I'll take a new car as my birthday present to myself if necessary.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i wash my car weekly, takes care of the dust. of course, no slush or snow or salt around here.

DH took the car into the shop recently, his co-workers commented on how sharp it looked, and he said 'oh, this is dirty' :lol:

fabric can easily be taken care of with $250 worth of seat covers and a couple hours' time instead of multiple thousands for leather seats.

14. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Add me to the Black Prius Club (well in the next couple of weeks at least). :D

I was going to do a Package #7 originally because I really do like the cloth seating in the Prius. Back in October when we were still speculating which regions would receive which packages, it was said that the California (Southern at least) region would not be receiving package #7, but would be receiving package #8 (w/leather). I was debating between the extra $1200 price tag and getting a package #7 from another region when my dealer verified that CA would be receiving both #7 and #8.

So #7 it was, or so I thought. I debated over the cloth vs. leather issue for a few weeks, talked with some friends who have leather in their cars. Since the Prius will be my commuting car and in a year or two's time a family car, I finally decided on the #8 with leather due to the ease of cleaning it compared to cloth, as well as the look and feel.

My current car has velour-type cloth seats which I really do love the look and feel of, but over the last 9 years and 177K miles they have taken on quite a dingy look, which no amount of cleaning can do anything about.

So I told my dealer in late November, #8 it is...preferably Black w/bisque leather. Seaside's my second choice, but I think I'll hold out for the Black. The way I look at it is this: $1200 over the course of 5 years = ~$20/month extra. I'm saving more than that in gas per month, so I have no problem shelling out that extra $ for the rich feel and look of the leather.

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

So can you take care of my seat covers? :p Remember you love Wisconsinettes! :lol:

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sorry tracy, likely won't be in wi when you get your car... we're up there 1/4-1/13. :p

17. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Darn, I will have to find someone to install the seat covers then. (I was just teasing you about installing them :) ) I know I wouldn't have the patience to do it if it's pretty tough.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    someone had their dealer do it for like $120 or something.

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Hey, I like yout new aviator pic!

I will probably have the dealer do it then.

20. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have ALWAYS had leather interior in all of my cars but I am thinking with the Prius, being it's supposed to be eco-friendly, having leather in that car may not be needed. That's what I mean. But who knows...when my package #8 comes in next week, maybe I'll fall in love with the leather. I have yet to see it in person. I am sure it does look great! :)