1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I met one of the engineers that designed the hybrid motor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lucky1, Aug 14, 2008.

1. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Today I was in my taxi and someone stopped to ask me about the Prius and wanted to know how I liked it. (This happens several times a day as everyone seems to be curious about the hybrids.)
    I told him everything I like about the car and pointed out that having 2 Prius cabs is saving me $20,000 a year on fuel.
    He told me that he had been talking to Taxi owners in Vancouver and had gotten the same positive response.
    When I commented that he seemed to know a lot about the hybrids he replied by saying, I should I was hired by Toyota to help design the hybrid motor.
    We talked for a few minutes and I thanked him for helping design these great motors that are doing so much for the environment (and my wallet)
    He asked me for my phone number so that he could ask me more questions about how the motor is holding up under taxi conditions.
    I took his business card (he is now a Professor of engineering at a Canadian university) and he said I could e-mail or phone him if I have any questions about the motor.
    Funny thing was he told me that Toyota gave him a Prius and he wasn't getting any more than 50 mpg until the Taxi drivers in Japan showed him how to "pulse and glide". He helped design the motor and really didn't understand it's full potential before he was shown how to pulse and glide.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. awesome story :)

3. clayton4115

clayton4115 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    lol thats funny!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great story Lucky1. You have earned that name.

Whatever you do, DO NOT post his phone number and email. I'm sure his sleeping habits and wife thank you.

5. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tony-- I wouldn't post his number or email. I was glad he gave me permission to ask him questions. I am sure I will have a few for him. I am sure he is a very busy man. When I googled his name I read that most of his research is about designing motors in everything we use that are more energy efficient so that we cut down on our emissions.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One Question: Would you care to join PriusChat and engage us in discussion? It would be great to get his input and comments!

7. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Priori--- I will ask him when I send him an email. He said he is on holidays for a couple of weeks so I will wait until then to email him.
    Hard to say how much time he has but he seemed to be very interested in getting Prius owners input.