1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I might be ready to change my sports religion!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Mar 10, 2013.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thought that title might get some attention. :D

This lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan is midway thru the stages of realizing the team he once loved is gone. There is a team that wears the same uniform locally, but it's not the same.

From 1966-1985 the Cowboys had 20 consecutive winning seasons, made playoffs 18 of those seasons, played close in 5 Super Bowls, won 2 of them. NFL Films tagged them "America's Team", and controversially they embraced it. The local sports media bragged on the Cowboy's organization - no meddling owner deciding which players to sign, being the back seat driver to the coach, then firing him about every three years.

Then came 1989 and The Curse of Jerry Jones.

Actually, Jones accidentally did the right things at first. The house needed to be cleaned, although Landry's firing was poorly executed. The Hershel Walker trade and other draft picks from being the worst in the NFL helped build them into the team of the 90's. Most significantly, Jimmy Johnson both knew how to coach and identify talent (he's good friends with Bill Belichick.)

Cowboys after their first two Super Bowl wins seemed to have a great future. But Jerry Jones was jealous of that Jimmy Johnson was the face of the Boys. So he ran him off drunkenly declaring he could win another Super Bowl with any of 500 coaches, and did only by putting the Cowboys in salary cap hell. By then the team was over the hill, with a succession of forgettable yes-men coaches.

America's Team is now Jerry's Team.

Seventeen years since their last Super Bowl, their record is .500 with exactly one playoff victory. The record easily could have been worse if they had not found Tony Romo, who while not Peyton Manning, easily much better than the other post-Aikman quarterbacks. They also would have lost a lot more games without Bill Parcells, and even then Jerry Jones did not give him a free rein on his assistant coaches, bringing in TO anyway....

At this point, the Dallas Cowboys still have the biggest fan base in the world, more than the Yankees, Manchester United, Steelers, Patriots, Packers, Lakers...multiple teams that have won multiple championships in the past seventeen years.

This reminds me of years of General Motor's mediocrity...the loyal following will give you years of grace you do not deserve, annual hype that amounts to putting whipped cream on a cow chip differently.

Jerry Jones has tried desperately for a couple of decades to single-handedly be known as the mastermind that made the Cowboys a champion, but utterly failed as an NFL General Manager. He does everything EXCEPT find a professional GM.

What is egotism and pride? To me, it's not being the center of a mediocre over-hyped team, followed for the soap opera more than the games. True pride would be delegate like the Cowboys once did, and save the grandstanding for receiving the Lombardi Trophy a few more times.

Fan base is showing cracks - more kids wear Mavericks or Rangers jerseys than Cowboys - TV ratings are not as high. In the next few years, the 50-something season ticket holders will die out. What I hope happens next is what happens to 99.9% of failing businesses - empty seats in the billion-dollar stadium, fans follow other teams, sponsors pull out, local sports stations and social media speculate if Jerry will continue to be Jerry until he dies, which if so should know his tombstone will become Texas' favorite urinal.

/rant finally over

So I'm in the process of finding another team and stop following dead cows.

JMD likes this.
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the U!S!A! where sports teams are franchises and players are drafted. There's no way for an alternative to grow organically and there are no local heroes.*

The only thing you can do is withdraw your custom and hope something changes.

* MLS now has a slightly different model with teams having youth academies from which they can sign any player. The best soccer players can start their professional careers very early.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would look at kc, new coach, qb, and etc,. good things could happen!(y)

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you should switch to one of the two kinds of real football.

There's soccer, obviously. It's great to watch, but it is very corporate these days.

Or there's Aussie Rules, which still has a lot o what you're pining for. And it's great.

Here's a highlights package of last year's Grand Final - our equivalent of the Superbowl (only better).

5. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    At least, the Dallas Cowboys still have one of the top cheerleaders.
    The best were the past LA Raiders.

6. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As Jerry Jones once infamously said: "They are the pick of the Litter"

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The team I was expecting you to recommend has a brilliant coach without much of a personality like Tom Landry, except Landry knew how to dress. :D

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a fly in the ointment.

After years of the San Diego Chargers getting eliminated in the first round of playoffs I no longer go to the games or watch them on TV. If I do it is a rare occurance. Ok I will watch em if they are having a good season otherwise it is no fun.

The stadium is rarely filled and the team is rumored to be shopping another city or hardball the tax payers to build a new larger stadium. They cannot fill what they have. Heck the owner is worth Billions and can afford his own stadium. Th city is broke and the tax payers are overextended paying high taxes now.

The Chargers finally fired the head coach and GM. Time will tell if new leadership can change the luck.

Frankly going to a Game for 2 can set you back $300 +. Much cheaper to stay home or go to a Sports Bar and get good food and beer.

Yep the middle class is getting pushed out of football. Season tickets is out of reach of most or people rather spend it on a good weekend getaway to Vegas etc.

Ever been to Concert lately? You better like the band.

9. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tony Romo Signs Extension: How Could Jerry Jones Be so Dumb? | Bleacher Report

Even dumber is the homers flaming back on a Cowboys' forum when I echo the article asking if a fan can demand an owner have some common sense. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of 2007 when GM die hards insisted they could remain #1 by selling only gas guzzlers - people would still have good jobs and $1.50 gas. Cowboys will bust too.