1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I might not be on much for a little while

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I'm not going to prison. No, I'm not even going on vacation :(

But I am closing on the purchase of my first home next Thursday (29th) and might be without an internet connection at my new house for a little bit, so I'll only be able to be on PC as time permits.

I didn't want you guys to think I was abandoning you - there's so much work & time that goes into the purchase of a home it's astounding. It's been a great learning experience.

So, if I'm not so quick on the turnaround on emails or PMs, you know why.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Congratulations on the house purchase, Danny!

(And you thought maintaining a web site is a lot of work... :D )

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

best move you can make, now the money your spending to house you and your family is actually going to you. It won't seem like it for a long time but in the end it's your money (less the interest of course) and not someone else. Have fun and wait till you have to move all your stuff, oh that's not fun!

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a house is a great investment.

in 1989 i bought 5 acres 7 miles from town. then spent 3 years building a house on it. during which i refinanced twice.

then in jan of this year i sold it. i walked away with 150k.

but that is the beauty of a house, the value wont go down unless you are in a real bad neighborhood or the local economy drops out. i am located near the state capital, so there wasnt much danger in that happening.

other than staying away from communities that have only one huge employer, you really cant go wrong investing in a house.

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

congrats Danny! How many MPG's does it get and what kind of emissions does it have? :)

-m.

6. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on the house Danny. Buying your first house is very exciting and can be quite stressful. I hope all goes well with the closing of escrow.

Jeff

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congratulations, Danny!

8. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Do they even have "escrow" in South Carolina, or is that just part of California culture?

9. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats Danny. Words do not describe the feeling of purchasing your own home. Of course, now there will never be such a thing as "nothing to do."

10. tag

tag Senior Member

Congratulations, Danny! Personally, I think you made an excellent choice.

As Wolfman indicated, though, you'll wind up with a somewhat different definition of "leisure time". :)

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To provide everyone with an update:

As of today I have been without Internet access on my home PC for a week and a half. I have ordered RoadRunner but they won't be out to install until 8/18... until then I found out last night that I can bum off of my neighbor's wireless connection to check my email & do some light surfing, but it is a little slow and unreliable (it's a 802.11b router half a block away :) ).

I cranked up my Outlook and found that I have over 70 emails waiting for me to answer, so I will get to them as soon as I can and I apologize for not having been able to get to them sooner.

The move went well, though long and, as all moves are, a pain in the nice person. Special thanks to my family for helping me out. Now the quest begins for furniture, decorations, etc.

Now that I'm living out in suburbia I'm dealing with schools, soccer moms & dads, and some serious traffic. I thought all of the traffic lights downtown were a pain - it took me 10 minutes just to turn out of my neighborhood yesterday morning! I'm enjoying the quiet and found out that in the next few months mikepaul will be moving in about a mile down the road from me!

12. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll have to see about that RoadRunner install lead-time. :(

Hopefully, the month I plan to use for moving will allow little things like that to get done. I hope I can avoid being cut-off while address information gets changed...

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    stealing bandwidth...tsk tsk tsk...

but it is for a good cause PRIUSCHAT!!!

wtg Danny!! pulls another one out in the bottom of the ninth!!

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I owned my own home for 15 years. The traffic in my neighborhood averaged one car every 5 minutes or so during the day. Much less at night. My nearest neighbor was 3/4 of a mile away. More than a mile on the other side. I miss that place. But the time came to move on and do other things. Sigh!

Ten minutes just to get out of your neighborhood??? That's what it takes me to get all the way downtown from my apartment way up here at the north end of town! I'm not sure I think you've made a good decision. Ha ha.

Enjoy the new home!

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ah yes the moment you sign the papers. I remember that chill that goes up an down spine to this day. Congrats!! Truly a wonderful day. Good luck to you. I think we can all wait.

16. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I remember when I put an offer on my place... the realtor asked if there was anything she could do to help the look of utter terror on my face. It has turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. I've owned it for just under two years and its value has nearly doubled.