1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need a new 12 volt battery, Which One????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by toyotatacoma, Oct 20, 2006.

1. toyotatacoma

toyotatacoma New Member

Can i put a walmart or a interstate battery in to replace the OEM battery???How much is the oem battery???Thanks

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyotatacoma @ Oct 20 2006, 07:02 AM) [snapback]335450[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know too much about it, but I'm pretty sure it's a sealed lead-acid battery. Don't put a regular battery in there, even if you find one that fits. Regular lead-acid batteries vent gasses and shouldn't be used inside the cabin.

That said, I would think that you should be able to find one at an auto-parts chain store. Perhaps not a Walmart, but maybe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 20 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]335453[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Wouldn't be the first time. I just read the Emergency Response Guide for the 2004 Prius and it said there was a hose for venting gasses from the auxillary battery. So that implies that it's not a sealed lead-acid battery.

So ignore me. Go to a NAPA or something, and have them look up the right battery on their computer.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a way to hack in a certain non-OEM battery into an '03 Prius... a search of the forums should reveal which battery and how to do it...some modification is necessary.

Best/easiest will be just an OEM however, despite the higher cost.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For replacement 12 volt battery for 2001-2003 Prius you should begin with the links in this folder:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota...s_001072738257/

You may need to 'join' the toyota Prius to read them but it is worthwhile.

Toyota sells the original for about $200. Get a firmer price from them before deciding.

Almost all people have decided to stay with the original design with an external battery vent...but not quite all. The size of the OEM battery terminals is also tricky to match exactly.

An untested source; toyotapartscheap.com says they sell the battery for $72 plus shipping. There are other suppliers whose 'parts searches' end up inside trademotion.com (whatever that is). Somebody needing a battery will eventually find out for us if this is a useful source.

DAS

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read somewhere that the battery for a Mazda Miata will work in the Prius, but the terminal sizes are different.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would say intestate. They have been good to me and I have had no problem with either my car or my camper trailer pop up battery , nor my back up for my CEPAP for my sleep apnea, home or away. Away include some prolonged camping with my son's Boy Scout troop.

7. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just for ha ha's! The next time i go to walmart ill see if prius is listed in their car battery book

8. jamesbalch

jamesbalch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All lead acid batteries vent during operation. The "sealed" moniker in a "sealed lead acid battery" simply refers to the fact that the battery top is not meant to be opened and so cannot be serviced with water.

:)

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, not quite. There are true sealed lead acid batteries that do not vent in normal operation. If you overcharge them they will vent to prevent an explosion. This includes the gel cell OEM Prius battery. It will not vent except in an exceptional circumstance. Things like a short across the battery or overcharging will cause a gell cell battery to vent.

What they do under normal operation is "recombine" the H2 and O2 that is generated. They also adjust the ratio of chemicals in the battery to almost eliminate production of gas, and finally they modify the physical design to optimise internal condensation of water vapour.

Replacing the OEM Prius battery with aftermarket will involve either sourcing a direct replacement or changing battery terminals. If you want a larger capacity battery (stock is 38 A-Hr on the 2004 and later model) you will also have to construct a battery holddown/container. A good candidate would be an Optima, either a yellow top or a blue top marine battery. Both are deep discharge types, but the yellow top would be my choise. But only if I really needed higher capacity, such as for a killer audio system or something.