1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need some advice on buying a used prius....

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by prius_1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. prius_1

prius_1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am thinking about buying a used prius, a 2006 or 2007 with around 30k miles on it. I need some advice on what to do to insure that the car is mechanicaly sound before purchase. Should I take it to a dealer to have it checked out before buying? Or would I be better off taking it to an independent mechanic? Or am I better off buying a certified one from a dealer? I have never bought a used car before (only new) so I just need some advice on what to do before buying a used one.

Thanks,

Jessica.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Normally I would take a used car to a trusted or highly-recommended independent mechanic. But since the Prius has some components only a dealer can work on, I think I'd take it to a trusted dealer. "Trusted" is crucial here.

Just my opinion.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto daniel. Any "Prius certified" technician with Toyota's proprietary tools can do the work, but most of them are at Toyota dealers.

Try the Car Talk section of cars.com for service recommendations:
    Cars.com: Auto Maintenance Tips From Car Talk

4. mcamp52

mcamp52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the responses and info. I got the 2005 Prius and am enjoying the "newness" of the experience. It's a cool car and I'll spend the better part of this weekend reading/learing about it.

5. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, there's not a whole lot that can go wrong in the first 30k miles (unless it's a lemon). you're still under full warranty for another 6k, i'd just buy it and drive it. i didn't get mine inspected when i got it (at 15.8k miles) and now i'm at 18.3 and all's well so far, had it serviced shortly after getting it just to make sure the 15k was done, and thats it.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get copies of both the Owner's Manual and the Scheduled Maintenance Guide? If not, buy them, from a dealer or online. They will save you money and bother.

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe you can still buy the extended 100,000 mile warranty on a used vehicle. I believe Prius chat still sells it too somewhere, you may want to look into it if you are worried about it, but historically the Prius is a pretty reliable vehicle.