1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need some quick financial advice conserning the Prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by slair, Feb 1, 2008.

1. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, so I owe $23k on the prius, financed by Toyota Financial. They have the title and all, but I want to private party sell the Prius for $18k. Thats still $5k negative equity, but how do I get the title from TFS to give to the guy buying the Prius?
    Basically, how do you private party sell a vehicle if you still owe more than its worth? Do you have to come up with the $5k out of your pocket to pay off the loan, or is there some kind of system setup that I just dont know?
    Thanks.

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry Slair-But they won't give you the title until the whole amount due is paid. And then it could take a few weeks or so to get the title once you do pay, but you'd have to check with Toyota on that.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we financed through tfs originally. well, setf which is a little different because they're owned by jm family. when i refi'd for an insanely lower interest rate, they would not send us the title clearance until i sent in a payment for the $100 difference between the refi loan and the principal left.

[in wisconsin, you get the title in hand with a lienholder listed as an interested party, and cannot sell the car until you've settled with your lienholder and gotten a title clearance]

if you're selling the car, they no longer have collateral if you quit paying on it. so they really don't like that.

sorry :(

next time protect yourself with a reasonable down payment or making extra principal payments early on in the loan term. this is a hard time to be learning hard lessons in finance.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You either come up with the difference, or you convince the buyer to accept responsibility for the full amount, and to trust you to reimburse him. Owing more than a car is worth (which happens any time you buy on credit with a down payment less than the initial depreciation) is one reason I always advice against buying a car on credit. In fact, I advise against buying anything on credit, other than a house which you will live in until it's paid off, and even then you need insurance against job loss or disability.

If you have sufficient credit you may be able to borrow the $5K from a bank. Debt is a real trap, and once it's got its teeth into you it does not let go.