1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I peeled off the bumber applique by mistake!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by twenty8moons, Jun 7, 2004.

1. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

I feel like such an idiot. By the time we finished with financing and everything it was after 10pm and I hadn't had dinner so we didn't spend much time going over the dealer prep, which was done rather quickly. The next morning, I noticed several bits of protectant plastic here and there that had been left behind. A piece on cd player, around the small front windows, etc. There was also a big clear strip on the back bumper that said "Prius" in a very faint pattern of dots the same color as the car. I peeled it off. Today, I was glancing over the original price sticker and saw "Bumper Applique - $65" and just died. What was this "applique"? Should I buy a new one? Please tell me someone else has been this clueless. :cry:

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want one so bad. I know it will do some good, I already have a TINY little chip out of the paint there, so I know that will help. You could try to tell them that you worn't sure what it was and thought it was a plastic cover that needed to be removed. They might be able to cut you a deal. Just maybe.

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The "applique" is a plastic strip meant to protect the painted bumper from scratches produced by, for example, stuff that you may rest on the bumper while pulling it out from the trunk.

4. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    you can buy it from toyota. or get the 3M bumper applique, a popular distributor is Invinca-Shield, and install it yourself. :wink:

5. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Had your dealer done their job correctly, this wouldn't have happened.

If I were you, I would explain to the dealer what you described here and see if the dealer will replace it at no charge.

6. twenty8moons

twenty8moons New Member

Thanks for the info. I had a very blonde moment according to my husband. I'm going to talk to my salesman and see if he will take pity on me. If not, I'll pay for another one. It seems like a good idea since I'm going in and out of the back all the time with my laptop case, groceries, etc, etc.