1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I-POD to Prius hook-up.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mybrid, May 2, 2004.

1. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :wave: :p Ok, I know that someone asked and I ran across this web page. http://prius.fxy.jp/about/ipod.html
    Maybe someone can come-up with a way to get the parts to hook-up :?:
    Anyhow this shows it can be done. :idea: :computer: 8)

2. NorthStar

NorthStar Junior Member

Hey, that blue connector looks much like the blue connector on the Nav unit under the driver's seat. I wonder if it would work there?

3. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

the easiest way to hook up an ipod is one of the small fm transmitters (i use the isi-link one from best buy) that plugs into the earphone jack from the ipod and transmits to one of several frequencies on your radio that you just tune in.

not sure if any of the fancy electronics of the prius would interfere, but best buy takes returns no problem

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...05&type=product

the cool thing about these is that they don't just work with the ipod, they work with anything with an earphone jack. and they don't just work in the car, they will work with your home stereo or boom box also, as long as there is an fm radio

4. Mat

Mat New Member

In my experience FM transmitters have awful quality, even in non-FM-station dense areas. Although, I see a new one coming out soon, this month I think, which costs $100 (yikes), but I'm optimistic, at that price and their focus on describing the quality of the unit, that it may finally be a good solution.

For the record, I used the Griffin iTrip, and eventually sold it on eBay.

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i tried and returned a couple before settling on the si-link. it works fine. i agree, some are junk, and it may depend on the car, the area, and other things. the first one i tried wouldn't even work in my home, sitting right next to the antenna!

i should also add that i mostly listen to spoken word (comedy) which is a lot less demanding than music. and the highest quality you can get with the fm transmitter is FM, which is not as high as CD quality, which is what you would theoretically be able to get with a hard wire connection.

it just becomes a question of how much work and expense you want to go through.

6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What is that box that he is connecting to there? Does it exist on the US Prius? A Babel fish translation doesn't tell much. Can he control the IPOD though the Prius CD contols? This is a very interesting find!

7. ErikS

ErikS New Member

Yes, that is a very interesting find...
    Since he is only connecting two RCA-plugs I doubt its possible to control the I-Pod from the dashboard-lcd.

What I find interesting though is that the adaptor (figured out that it is called "ECLIPSE KW-1275A") has three RCA-inputs, one video and two audio. If this adaptor would work to use the dashboard-lcd and stereo for audio/video playback I would have my problem solved.
    I am looking for an adaptor so that I can use a dvd-player & tv-tuner in the space under the factory installed stereo/cd-changer.

Does anyone know whats the difference is between the box he is using and the box under the seat? Is it maybe the same and placed in a different place in the japanese version of the car. Or are they different?
    I have only found the adaptor "ECLIPSE KW-1275A" for sale on japanese websites and I don't know japanese so I guess I have a problem... :)

8. Sylko

Sylko New Member

This product sold by Dension seems excellent.

>>>>> Dension ICE Link 1.1 <<<<<<

Oupsss, i didn't see the other topic for the ICE Link.

Sorry, i'm a newbie. :wink:

9. Sylko

Sylko New Member

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The author doesn't show how he accesses the audio (or maybe video as well) input. I'm very curious.

Also, has anyone else checked next to their rear seat to see if the module is there and is the open connector there?

Nate

11. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sylko You Rock! Thank You for the Link to translate.
    :computer: :wave:

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Translated quote from article, when opening up the panel near the door:
    Suicide seat! Wow, I guess Toyota Japan isn't telling us everything about this car!

:mrgreen:

13. ErikS

ErikS New Member

I have now followed the instructions and removed the side of the backrest in the backseat. It is empty... :cry:
    I even removed some of the sidings in the trunk to be absolutely sure. All I could find were a few wires (one labeled airbag, don't wanna mess with that...) but nothing like described or shown in the images.

Please notice that I'm located in Sweden so I have the euro-version (if any difference) All options installed like nav, bluetooth, voice recognition, keyless, in dashboard 6 cd-changer and casetteplayer.

It would be interesting to get some input from someone with a us-prius to confirm that it is a japan-specific feature like all the other extras they have over there (camera, auto park etc)

14. ozt

ozt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also opened up the cover beside the "suicide seat" and found no connector. Maybe this is one of those Japanese only features.

The ECLIPSE cable is for Fujitsu-Ten car nav/audio systems in Japan. But it might be compatible to any nav equipped with G-Book system (Japanese standard). Hooking up this cable will enable the hidden "video'" menu on the screen. It is kind of cool. I wish we could have this feature. It will also be useful for backup camera.

As for iPOD, I am satisfied with iTrip 2. I also use Belkin cup holder mounter. I don't have reception problems without hopping around different frequency settings as long as I stay in San Diego county.

Tosh
    Salsa Red BC + EVb
    San Diego, CA

15. boa8

boa8 New Member

I think that for some reason Toyota put NAV ECU under the driver seat on US and European versions instead of side of rear seat on Japanese Prius.

Alternatively, it could be the difference between right hand drive and left hand drive versions.

UK and Australia owners, please share with us!

What's more important, this empty blue port is easily accessible for external audio (iPod) and video equipment (DVD player, backup camera).

In this case I don't understand why Coastal Dave is dragging on with these accessories.

16. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"ozt\")</div>
    It is IPA, Intelligent Parking Assist, computer which is installed only in Japanese Prius.
    The NTSC signal from the backup camera is also connected to IPA computer.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan