1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I put a 27" monitor in passenger side, and other radical mods!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Big Sleaze, Feb 7, 2022.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I'm suspending the 27" on PVC pipe running from the two hand holds and then 90deg "T" to front of dash, and using the factory M5 bolt holes to hold aluminum straps and some paracord etc. Its working out pretty good but is a work in progress and I think I'll even change it out for my new 32", mostly for the BlueTooth for one less cord, and because it should fit and I want max size for doing CAD while posted in my car at remote location with lots of free time.

I've also added a cargo tray and 48x15x15" toolbox which is also working out great and makes a nice seat/table for changing shoes etc or just taking a break and enjoying the great outdoors. I'm gonna even add a bike racks to the end of the tray which will make nice table support when seated.

Getting error message trying to load photos, but I'm running WWW off USB/phone so hope to post photos soon.

I HOPE to rig the big screen with some paracord so it can stay in the foot well of passenger side and reel up and down with just pulling on cords, but knots and rigging is not my strong suit. Would mind a more elegant support structure but at least the cross pipe with 45deg arch sections doesn't bother me and stays in place and I'm over 6'.

Cargo tray with box is 1/2 blocking view of License Plate, and I'm torn between either lowering the tray (already will scrape on steep driveways) AND moving plate up OR.....putting plate on rear of tool-box but how to rig lighting??? With new LED and 5v USB Power Bricks for phones keeping the lights on wouldn't be a problem, the problem would be me remembering to switch it on and off all the time everytime I drive at night. Maybe automatic solar powered landscaping type light???

If I go for the box mounted plate light I guess I should "do it right" and run lights off the tail lights (factory plate lights up in the hatch). Will the wiring will handle an extra set of small LEDs.

On the subject of wiring....whats the elegant way to route 110V cord into the passenger compartment while keeping everything closed up (its cold out there)? Currently I'm running the cord for the laptops and screen, etc through the rear passenger side window and using a length of pool noodle with a slit to accept the window as semi-sealed, but its a mild PIA to rig. I guess I could rig short extension cord through the plastic at under rear bumper and just leave short plug hanging out. Is there some other better method used by Prius car campers?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, pics please!

3. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    20220202_221651.jpg 20220202_221651.jpg 20220202_221707.jpg 20220202_221707.jpg 20220202_221651.jpg 20220202_221717.jpg trapy.jpg

Attached Files:

4. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    PS-here is the bike racks I plan on sticking on the end of the square cargo tray frame. When I had it without the cargo tray I noticed the arms made a nice support for a plank for a little table and that should all work out even better with box as bench :) Sure it will be hanging way out but its not much weight and I'd only be mostly carrying one regular bike. I think I'll switch the box around so it opens to the hatchback so I can access both spaces standing between them, and move the box to rear so there is open tray space sorta protected to carry other items like boots or trekking poles etc with just a bungee and they would be air dried in a hurry...or rinsed with rain. lol.

probably gonna get this to either rise or lower the cargo tray.

If I raise it I'll be needing to deal with License Plate and light wiring issues, but if I lower it I'll have driveway scraping issues.

I'm also looking into how tricky it would be to relocated the RADAR transmitter on the front logo to a box on the front. (search my posts). It doesn't LOOK like it would be hard to relocate but would it still function close to factory specs?

#4 The Big Sleaze, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing! does any of it require extra power?

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Should be interesting if the air bag lets go...

Montgomery, .paul. and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    currently I'm running a 110v cord through the window but MAYBE my newer 32" will be "green" and I might be able to run stuff off the Prius, but also looking into putting an extra 12v Deep Cycle in the trunk but re-charging it off the Prius 12v.

8. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    currently only for myself when car is parked but did get one comment from a "gamer" who seemed to have some idea of mobile on road use.

Might not be as good as plain airbag but I don't think modern flat screens are particularly structural so shouldn't be too fatal.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you've experienced what nice sloshy water feels like when you bellyflop, you can probably also imagine the effects of a nice "not particularly structural" flat screen being accelerated by a deploying airbag.

The mission management team for the Columbia shuttle made some decisions, like not going for better photos of possible damage while in orbit, that seemed to involve falling back on informal reasoning about what "foam" is like, and how badly a piece of foam could damage tough spacecraft thermal tiles.

But if I remember right, at the speed the craft was traveling and the distance between where the foam broke off from and where it hit the wing, air drag could have slowed the foam by 700 mph or so, so it hit the wing at a 700 mph speed differential.

And it's easy to forget that our everyday experience of "what foam is like" doesn't involve foam doing 700 mph. Also, the fact that kinetic energy goes as velocity squared is one of those things that's easy to remember when being asked for the kinetic energy formula on a quiz, but just as easy to not remember when thinking things out in everyday life.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope you will not get pulled over... I mean... no texting is a law in many states now, but I guess they did not say "NO Monitoring"

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take it up with Elon?

alanclarkeau and Salamander_King like this.
  12. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I didn't catch any VC and sounded to me like cop was just "I haven't seen it before, must be illegal....maybe I can write some bogus catch-all 'unsafe condition' ticket for my quota".

Anyways, like I said, I'm hoping to rig the cords so it lowers into passenger foot well, then raises up with just pull of cords. Right now I'm disconnecting the center of the "T" PVC pipe to run through cords for each Install/Remove cycle. I also might rig it so it stays more or less up in place but pivots a bit so my eyes only see the thin aspect of the flat panel, but I think lowering into foot well is gonna be the preferred method, even if that also means rotating 90 deg to get a 32" to fit in foot well.

Also working on a plank for full size keyboard and mouse pad, such that I can enter and exit and leave everything in place.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As long as the CAD software grays out the menus above 3 mph ....

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Australia - the car would be taken off the road - do not drive home, tow-away.

15. .paul.

.paul. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Threads like this reinforce the perceptions that all prius owners are stupid and any modification that may cause self harm in an accident (like a big monitor jerry rigged on PVC pipe) should be banned from this site.

Sorry to sound rude but this is dangerous and dumb.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty sure if no one is actually sitting in the seat, the airbag is disabled.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. .paul.

.paul. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tell that to the judge when your monitor hits you in the head and you lose control of your prius and kill someone........ this isn't about the airbag.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the airbag was a previous topic of conversation

19. .paul.

.paul. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    fair enough - enjoy your car in good health.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do, thank you. it gets me from point a to b reliably