1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I ran over a safety cone that blew into the fast lane on the fwy, now my AC wont cool

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tjane, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Tjane

Tjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I safety cone that blew into the fast lane on the fwy, it broke my front bumper and my skid plate is dragging, now my AC wont cool. There doesn't seem to be any damage to anything else but now my AC wont blow cool air and I live in So. OK. So its about to get unbearably hot. I wont survive out here without my AC. Can anyone tell me what it might be instead of the condenser. Is there a wire or something that could have ripped off?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll suggest doing two things. One will get some road dust on you, one won't.

First, go sit in the car. hold down the A/C AUTO and the recirculation-arrow steering wheel buttons, and while holding them both down, turn the car ON (two power button pushes, no foot on brake).

Watch the MFD screen for any two-digit codes to show up near the top corner. You can post any of those codes here. No road dust.

The other thing is to go lie under the front bumper. Road dust. With your under cover already helpfully knocked down and dragging, you should have a pretty easy view of the A/C compressor. It's bolted on to the front of the engine near the right side of the car.

There are three bright-orange electrical wires going to it, and a couple of hose/pipe connections. Check whether you see damage to any of those. Avoid handling the orange wires, especially if the car isn't completely OFF. Looking is OK.

Of course, you're surely going to make sure the car is completely off, parked, and braked before lying down in front of it anyway.

PriusCamper and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could be, but while you are getting dusty looking under the front of your car, might as well take a close look at the condenser and see if it has any dark moist looking areas on it. Same for the pressure hoses from the compressor. The pressure sensor for the A/C is high up under the hood. (if that got damaged by an impact, then inop A/C is the least of your problems.)

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    it broke my front bumper and my skid plate is dragging, now my AC wont cool.

But you don't think the condenser is likely damaged?

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your collision insurance will cover it, less deductible, if you have it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.