1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I really like that car (1st winter/city tank)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sergio-PL, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of threads like this, so now I can say hello to everyone as Prius owner :)

I did few miles on the roads and get a little used to this car before, but now I did first full, reliable tank in controlled conditions and I'm really happy with that result :)

17" Goodyear UG Performance winter tires,
    default pressure,
    city conditions (no chance for grandma style, most of the time real speed about 60 kmh, severe traffic jam every morning. Stop&Go long enough to discharge battery from 6 to 2 bars and force engine to start recharging),
    temperature -5C / +5C (50/50%), 3-4 days of +14 C
    headlights on all time
    radio on
    fan on 18 deg C / AC off

I've managed to reach 700 km barrier with 36.9 litres of 95-octane fuel (standard here, EU Prius is RON95).

4.9 l/100km and 5.3 l/100km calculated. (8% error)
    Speedometer is off by 7,7% at full speed (shows 194 kmh while GPS shows 180 kmh, 108 kmh while GPS 100 kmh).
    My Auris 1.4 Diesel was doing about 7 to 8 l/100km same route, similiar winter conditions, 15" winter tires.

[​IMG]

I'm happy with that result. Especially that I hit traffic jam before leaving S1b stage in most cases so the engine works for a 2-3 minutes while stuck in traffic jam (while temps are below +5 deg C).

I'm using ECO mode but I try to follow the traffic most of the time. If I drive 60 kmh on 60kmh limit I'm pushed even by public transport buses. I keep acceleration at 2/3 of the hybrid zone of HSI if traffic permits, 50% of PWR zone otherwise and if I had to brake I try to keep CHG at 75-85% while braking.

2. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wow... I can't even comprehend metric measurements, and you've been so detailed that I could never figure out how to compare! haha!
    Sounds like you're happy with the results! And I see that you picked THE correct color!

What really suprises me is that you've got snow over there right now. We've been very fortunate and have spring-summer weather right now, which is VERY unusual!

3. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are details in your units :)

4.9 l/100km = 48 mpgUS
    5.3 l/100km = 44 mpgUS (calculated)
    36,92 l = 9,75 US gallons ($69 total, tax incl.)
    700 km = 437 mi
    28 kmh = 17 mph
    -5 ~ +5 Celsius = ~ 23 - 41 F
    +14 deg Celsius = 57 F
    18 deg Celsius (AC) = 64 F

Are you sure I picked the right color? It's not Blizzard Pearl, it's Snow White (040 color code). Very bright, cold white without pearl/metallic effect. But I really like it.

Well... last snow I've seen was in February. Pic in my avatar is from second half of January. We are using winter tires from November to late March/early April (depending on conditions).

Today I've installed summer tires (factory installed tires Michelin Primacy HP 215/45/R17W). They have less than 3 miles so they have to break in a bit to get better results.
    They're not LRR tires rather sport one (W speed index is 270 kmh/168 mph :D) but as I was told by service man all Michelin tires are made with LRR in mind so now I'm counting for another good tank in next 700 km (437 mi). :rolleyes:

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, you get the plain white as well? (We call it Alpine White in Canada and Super White in the US). In North America, we only have the pearl white paint - Blizzard Pearl.

5. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. We have both of them. Plain white 040 called Snow White and Blizzard Pearl -> the same as in US. We also get plain black. Other colours are metallic.
    White and Black are basic colors included in car price.

For Pearl additional cost is about 1050 USD and 730 USD for metallic colors.

Also as in Canada we have HUD display as standard which is really nice addition especially with HSI on it and option to disable speedo under certain speed (I set it to 30 kmh) :)
    But we don't get automatic lock on D / certain speed / IG-ON and automatic unlock on Power Off :(

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You did 180 km/h in Prius? Wow. I didn't know it would go so fast. Where did you do it? I'm familiar with Polish roads.

7. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere between Berlin and Hannover in Germany for few kms.
    To get to Germany I have to travel 500 km... 120 km on country roads and rest on the highway (A2). And... both parts takes the same amout of time (about 5:30 total to the border line).

In product card Toyota says it can do 180 kmh and it really can. What is different from other cars is that this limit is electronically controlled. If you go downhill it will not allow you to accelerate over 180 kmh and you can fill it - engine RPM goes down. On the other hand it can go uphill and keep this speed (for very short time) - unlike other cars which lack power then.
    I wonder how it will perform doing 80 kmh going uphill to Brennero this holiday. I remember that it was a very, very long hill.

Best long trip speed in my opinion is 120 kmh (130 on speedo). Car is quiet, mpg still acceptable and travel time reasonable.
    If you have less than 300 km to travel you can easly lower it to 90 kmh (98 kmh indicated) and get pretty low consumption.
    It's hard to go slower as you will be pushed by trucks and they are very aggressive from time to time.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. Yes we get a flat black as well. Metallic paint is no charge (or included in the price, whichever you want to view it).

We don't get the HUD in Canada, only the US has it on this continent.

9. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought that you had it and US don't... Maybe 2012 spec is different. In PL HUD is standard in all models. On the other hand JBL Green audio is optional and costs about 1100 USD starting from mid-range model. Same for LED headlights with washers.
    You can get light/dark gray interior and leather on top model. No bisquit interior. Leather available only with ACC, PCS and Touch&Go Pro (+6400 USD total).

I like both options (no charge / included in the price)... but in our region it's common practice to charge for pearl/metallic across all car makers.
    There are few models (not Toyota/Lexus) that are impossible to buy without metallic color altough listed price is without color charge.

Some (even Toyota) dealers have bad habit not to include alarm, carpets in the price but my dealer does very good job and always calculate car the way that you won't go back in a while saying "hey! were are my ....".

:focus:
    Summer tires are still breaking in and getting quiter :)
    After 30 minutes stop&go traffic jam consumption (indicated) increased to 5.2 l/100km. Temps also dropped below 10 deg C again and will stay here for few days.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen these regional differences. Mazda used to charge for paint too (Cdn$102). Toyota Canada has been pretty good about having it all included. Carpet mats, wheel locks (Where applicable) and sometimes even cargo nets are standard equipment from the factory (whereas they're all accessories in the US, even today).

Our 2012 Prius lineup has been revised. They dropped the Premium Package and just have the "Moonroof Upgrade" package that includes the solar roof and other niceties. The Touring which adds to the base model the 17" alloys and LED headlights. The Technology Package adds to the Moonroof Upgrade the DRCC, PCS, JBL GreenEdge, Premium HDD 7" system and SofTex (among other things). So no water-repellent front door glass or plasmacluster or IPA/APGS or HUD or LKA in our model. I think they even took out illuminated vanity mirrors for all models.

11. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SofTex is something like mouse fur textile that don't sink water? I have something like this in my car and really like it. I think it's better than leather in winter.

2012 here is less affordable than 2011 model. Price jumped over 10% from the last year (not counting 2011 models winter sale).
    Starting from basic (LUNA) version with 15" tires, plastic steering wheel, single door SKS and basic (2011) 6-speaker audio setup with TTouch (no navi), LED DRL lights, front anti-fog lights.

Midrange moel (SOL) among others adds leather steering wheel, 17" wheels, cruise control. For this model you can take Comfort setup adding rain sensor, JBL Green 8-speaker setup.
    If you take comfort package you can add LED headlights with washers.

Most advanced model is Prestige with all above (including comfort and leds) included, adding light sensor, water repellent windshield, electrochromatic rear mirror, 3-door-SKS (it was in comfort package for my 2011, now not available for SOL).
    Options for Prestige: Solar Roof (now with 17" wheels)
    Navi (7" HDD navigation Touch&Go Pro with 3-year map upgrades incl.)
    Leather + Security (natural/synthetic leather, DRCC, PCS).

No LKA and automatic parking for this model.
    LUNA is equipped with lower grade textiles. SOL and Prestige is with what I think Softex equivalent. Available in light and dark gray.

I think that Toyota (Motor Poland) is trying to optimise car equipment to match technology demand and more or less acceptable price on the other hand.

In May/June we should get Yaris Hybrid. Maybe with more resonable price. I saw on Pakitt blog that catalogs for it are already available in Germany. No plans for Prius C for Europe as far as I know.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    4.9 l/100km = 48 mpg (US)

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, the speedometer error is conspicuously large. I compared my US Prius to GPS and the error was more like 2-3%.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SofTex is synthetic leather and not cloth material (or mousefur as you described). In my opinion, it falls somewhere between generic leatherette (e.g. BMW) or Volvo's T-Tec (though that feels more rubbery) and the really good Artico synthetic leather (MB) which looks and feel pretty darn close to the real thing.

1 person likes this.