1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I really like the traction control

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Rhino, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a bit of good news to lift your spirits.

I was driving on snow covered roads for 30 miles today and the car was extremely well behaved. Antilock brakes works fine.

Starting from a standing stop is easy. Just step on the gas, traction control takes over. Sure is a lot easier to drive than my other cars. No need to be too concerned about throttle, traction control just takes over.

Is it even possible to spin out on a Prius - I don't think so. It is great.

Ground clearance could be better but it is a high performance car (I mean gas mileage performance) so some sacrifices have to be made.

And after all of this, I got 48 miles per gallon according to the car computer. I know some of you calculate mpg independently. I am not concerned about actual mpg - I use the car's mpg calculation so it can be compared to other Priuse performance easily.

I poured in a gallon of windshield wiper solution yesterday but it is not full. Does anyone know how much solution it takes? No big deal though, I get some more.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The windshield washer reservoir holds a bit over one gallon. The intention is that you can add a full gallon when the tank is low.

Tom

3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In some other traction control thread, which I can't find now, someone asked who had been able to get the VSC system to cut power to the wheels in Gen III.

Well, I did tonight. It was really stupid, in my own yard.
    I managed to get the rear wheels in the mud, and the front wheels on some very loose gravel, uphill from the mud, and the traction control system cut power almost as soon as the front wheels started to spin.
    I had to back up, to get the whole car back on the road.
    I don't blame the car for this one; it was the stupid driver.

4. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  5. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The traction control is good like I expected to work. Havn't really used it much since I drive very slow these days and hardly lose traction.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is an example of traction control doing what it is supposed to do. In this situation, spinning the wheels would only dig a hole. I suspect the tires were slowly spinning, but the Prius is so smooth you can't tell without getting out and looking.

It's always important to remember that traction control cannot create traction where there isn't any. All it can do is control wheel spin, which will help, but only up to the physical limits of the tires and the road surface.

Tom

7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed several times in the last few days that the traction control kicked on (triggered the sliding car icon) on my long gravel driveway, even when I didn't know I needed it, except that maybe I thought I was driving a bit faster than normal/faster than I should.
    This means either that
    1) it's really good at keeping the car acting normal and/or
    2) it starts to work even with small signs of slippage, that a human being might not notice.

Both of these I think are good.

Traction control is becoming more and more necessary--on all cars. For example, low rolling resistance tires may reduce traction in some circumstance. Got to get that traction back somehow, or you will have more accidents.

8. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think that RPM limiting in N, along with traction control, are necessary not only for safety but because way-excessive engine RPMs, whether trying to spin out of a snowbank, or otherwise screwing up, would damage the motor-generators and are thus prevented. On the road, the CV tranny has no need for excessive RPMs at any speed.

9. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II