1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I REALLY need some help here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ChrisAlkemist, Sep 21, 2016.

1. ChrisAlkemist

ChrisAlkemist New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few days ago, our 2004 Prius cut out on my wife mid-drive. After having it towed to our house, I proceeded to try to figure out what was wrong with it. I couldn't for the life of me get it into ready mode and I got the transmission lock abnormal message, so I had a feeling it was the battery, which was further solidified whenever the lights start going dim. Sure enough I take the old battery out, and it has a dead cell. I bought a new battery put it in and now the lights and everything working fine, but it still won't go into ready mode. Thinking it was the brake switch, I went and got one, and replaced it as well. Still no ready mode. When the car cut off on her, she had a good bit of gas in the car, but whenever I turn it on, the display is flashing at one bar. It's not saying that the transmission lock is abnormal anymore, but whenever I turn it on, it displays the word problem, but does not elaborate any further. I ran diagnostic mode to check the battery, and it says it's pulling 11.9v. I assume that's good? I'm at a loss here, I feel like I've tried everything. Does anybody have any ideas? I also want to add that we had the large battery replaced last year. So I don't feel like that's the problem.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Charge up the 12v battery and put more gas in the car

If that doesn't work, get the codes read. Don't guess and replace unnecessary parts

ChrisAlkemist likes this.
  3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a red triangle with a red exclamation point in the center along with problem? If so, there might be a DTC stored that can tell you what's wrong. Do you have an OBD2 code reader? If not borrow or buy one. It's likely you have some sort of transmission problem since your Prius cut out on your wife mid-drive.

It would help if you posted some photos of your predicament but you probably aren't able to yet since you are new.

Hope you find out what's wrong and pronto. Almost nothing worse than a motor mystery.

ChrisAlkemist likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. ChrisAlkemist

ChrisAlkemist New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I've got it fixed now. I feel like the battery was the problem, considering that the old battery had a dead cell when I got it checked. After putting a new one in, it threw me way off that the car didn't start. After reading around I decided to remove the service plug for about 10 minutes then plug it back in. Now the car is starting, no problem. Besides the usual problems, like the dash display not coming up. But that's normal. And from what I've heard, that's normal with a lot Prius owners. I have had a red exclamation point ever since I was overdue for an oil change, and it didn't go away after the oil change, but I've had a lot of cars that have done that, due to the stuff needing to be reset. When I get the chance, I will run it through a code reader, just to be sure.

bisco likes this.
  6. ChrisAlkemist

ChrisAlkemist New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nevermind, that exclamation point was from when the major battery was going dead, before I had to Shell out a ridiculous amount of money to replace it.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you're reading and understanding all the codes wrong. You should have someone more qualified check that car out. It's not just a maintenance light

Hasan and edthefox5 like this.
  8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Too funny.