1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I saw this on Yahoo Newspage....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Fineagedwine43, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Fineagedwine43

Fineagedwine43 New Member

I thought that this was an interesting article and wanted to share with you all.. what are your views on this and at the risk of sounding very dumb, would it work on a Prius...???

Teresa

Drivers try another gas to save gasoline By DAVID SHARP, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Jul 31, 2:22 PM ET

Many motorists seeking to improve their mileage as gas prices soar this summer are examining everything — right down to the air in their tires. And for a growing number, plain old air isn't good enough.

George Bourque of Fairfield is one of those who's driving around on tires filled with pure nitrogen, the same stuff that NASCAR racers use.

Bourque, an engineer, said he has seen a 1 to 1.5 mile-per-gallon increase since he began filling his tires with nitrogen, which is touted as maintaining tire pressure longer and resisting heat buildup on hot summer days.

"I analyze everything," he said.

Nitrogen has been used for years in the tires of race cars, large commercial trucks, aircraft and even the space shuttle.

But it is finding its way into the mainstream at a growing number of tire dealers — including Costco Wholesale Corp.

Nationwide, fewer than 10 percent of tire dealers offer nitrogen, but the number is growing, said Bob Ulrich, editor of Modern Tire Dealer magazine in Akron, Ohio. Most dealers charge $2 to $5 per tire for the nitrogen fill-up, he said. The dealers generally offer free lifetime refills.

Bourque got his tires — filled with nitrogen — in Waterville, Maine at Tire Warehouse, which has 50 tire dealerships across New England. The nitrogen was part of an installation package when Bourque bought a set of tires.

Skeptics will question how much can be gained by filling tires with pure nitrogen when the air we breathe is 78 percent nitrogen.

The differences are subtle, but important, said Steve McGrath, Tire Warehouse's vice president of marketing in Keene, N.H.

Nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules, so nitrogen seeps out more slowly from tires than air; nitrogen resists heat buildup better than air, which contains moisture; and nitrogen reduces oxidation, which can damage the tire from the inside out, proponents say. Nitrogen is an inert gas, so there are no safety or environmental issues.

Those advantages are important in vehicles equipped with tire pressure monitoring systems, which are sensitive to changes in tire pressure, McGrath said.

With or without nitrogen, proper inflation is the key to improving gas mileage. Motorists can improve gas mileage by 3.3 percent simply by keeping their tires properly inflated, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.

In the real world, though, only 1 in 5 motorists check tire pressure regularly, according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association. Nitrogen, therefore, could have an advantage for those who don't check their tire pressure regularly.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has no opinion on nitrogen, but it does encourage motorists to keep their tires properly inflated, both for safety and to boost gas mileage, said spokesman Rae Tyson. Severely underinflated tires are dangerous, especially for sport utility vehicles and light trucks, Tyson noted.

Tire experts at Consumers Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, neither endorse nor object to the use of nitrogen in tires.

"Nitrogen is certainly safe to use in tires, and theoretically it does offer some benefits," spokesman Douglas Love said from Yonkers, N.Y.

For Bourque, his tire pressure remains constant — 40 pounds for his fully loaded truck — even on hot days when tire pressure normally fluctuates.

His gas mileage was about 19 mpg when he purchased his five-cylinder 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. Now, with the engine broken in and new tires filled with nitrogen, he gets 20.5 to 22 mpg depending on whether he runs the air conditioner, he said.

For tire dealers, the nitrogen generator and associated equipment typically runs between $3,000 and $12,000, Ulrich said.

Marty Mailhot, manager of the Tire Warehouse in Topsham, said the idea is catching on with consumers, who are purchasing nitrogen for tires for cars, trucks, motor homes and lawn tractors. He has even tried it on footballs and inflatable tubes pulled behind boats.

He has a retort for those who pooh-pooh the notion of paying for nitrogen when there's plenty of free air for the taking.

"I say, 'Why are you drinking that bottled water when there's a pond out back?'" he said.

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Questions or Comments
    Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

2. clarkeb

clarkeb New Member

Yep...Yahoo has things like this as their big picture headline with jumbo text accompanying it and then below has other headlines that I guess are just boring or unimportant in mini-text. Some of these include "Mideast war rages with no end in sight" and "Britain likely to hand over Basra in 2007." You know a news source website, such as Yahoo, has turned to s**t when you first hear about Castro ceding his power from Perez Hilton's blog.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The idea of filling rubber automobile tires with nitrogen gas has been beat to death on Priuschat and Click and Clack's "Car Talk" on Natl Public Radio. Hypothetically the idea sounds good. But with an atmosphere of 79% nitrogen, makes no sense to pay for nitrogen in tires.

It does make sense NOT to drink bottled water. Pthalates leach out of the plastic into the water.

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The idea of filling rubber automobile tires with nitrogen gas has been beat to death on Priuschat and Click and Clack's "Car Talk" on Natl Public Radio. Hypothetically the idea sounds good. But with an atmosphere of 79% nitrogen, makes no sense to pay for nitrogen in tires.

It does make sense NOT to drink bottled water. Pthalates leach out of the plastic into the water.

5. Fineagedwine43

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Aug 2 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]296660[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the info.. since I am new to the forum, I have not come across this as of yet.. thanks... :huh:

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How anybody can show a mileage improvement by filling with Nitrogen is beyond me. What is the claimed chemsitry or physics behind it? In fact, if it *does* lower heat build-up, then mileage should suffer as the tires won't get more pressurized (assuming higher pressure yields lower rolling resistance as per normal) as they would with normal heat build-up. ????

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Aug 2 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]296674[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't you learn this in high-school chemistry? N2 molecules are "bouncier" than O2 molecules. N2 = Bouncy. O2 = Not so bouncy. Your car literally bounces down the road when riding on tires filled with pure N2. :lol:

8. clarkeb

clarkeb New Member

Anyone tried hydrogen, yet?

9. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

If you take this 'bigger molecule' thing further, every time your tires get low, apparently it wasn't the nitrogen leaking out, so that's all still inside. You air them back up and your % of nitrogen goes a bit above the natural 79% without paying any extra.

My bet would be.. you'll never recoup the money you put into having them filled with nitrogen. If you want to save the planet a gallon of gas, keep your tires aired up the old fashioned way.

If someone did analysis on how much energy it takes to build the nitrogen machine, then operate it, I bet the energy consumption needed to fill your 4 tires exceeds the energy you'll save by running them with nitrogen.

As far as truck tires goes... Sure, great to fill them with nitrogen.... but why hasn't anyone come up with a solution to the whole "Big hunk of truck tire rubber on the tollway" problem in the last 20 years. Can't 3M build a better glue or something? Nitrogen is not the problem with truck tires.

10. c4

c4 Active Member

The guy in the article should have his engineering degree taken away and burned.. He's forgotten his first year engineering- the ideal gas law PV=nRT which, at normal tire operating temperatures and pressures, both nitrogen and oxygen (as well as every other gas) obey, and the physics says that as long as there is no water vapour, there is not going to be any significant difference between air and nitrogen.. The only thing that can significantly skew pressures up/down is the presence of water, which is a guaranteed component of just about all gas station air pumps (which generally don't even have even a simple a filter/water separator, never mind a drier that the best setups (esp. those meant for painting) have)..

If you attach a $30 water separator from Harbor Freight to your compressor outlet, you've instantly improved the quality of your compressed air; for a bit more, a dessicant drier can be added and now, your compressed air should show no measureable difference in a tire vs. dry nitrogen.. Certainly beats the $3000-12000 pricetag quoted for nitrogen generating equipment..

11. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Aug 3 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]297137[/snapback]</div>
    Not for this guy. Didn't you read, his tires maintain a constant pressure throughout the day. In fairness, I don't think anyone in the article claimed any technical credentials. Heck, one of them thinks that nitrogen is an inert gas. It's a shame that people are allowed to write about technical topics without anyone technical involved.
    Many years ago (during the first great 'oil crisis') the local paper ran several "alternative energy" related pieces in their Sunday supplement. One of them was an interview with a local jeweler who opined that he wanted to design a tuning fork car. He had been studying the modern tuning fork watches and after all they kept running much longer than spring wound watches on a very small battery. When asked what his background was, his reply was that he had no formal training but he guessed you could call him a "theoretical physicist". They ran it all, consulting not even a first year engineering student. I always thought he was just designing for the wrong parameter. Properly implemented his idea could have yielded a car that ran very accurately at 55 mph. :)

12. njkayaker

njkayaker New Member

A quote from the article.

"His gas mileage was about 19 mpg when he purchased his five-cylinder 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. Now, with the engine broken in and new tires filled with nitrogen, he gets 20.5 to 22 mpg depending on whether he runs the air conditioner, he said."

So, did the increase in mileage result from the engine break-in or the nitrogen? (You can give only one answer and it better not be nitrogen!)

And the guy being quoted is an engineer? Sheesh!

The only clear, measurable benefit of using nitrogen is to the person selling it!

The AP writer is incompetent and lazy too. The article is trash (don't people have any critical reading skills?).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Aug 3 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]297241[/snapback]</div>
    Indicating that this random guy is an "engineer" is meant to imply "technical credentials". N2 is pretty inert especally compared to O2 (not as inert as noble gases, which are as inert as they come).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Aug 2 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]296660[/snapback]</div>
    More nonsense (maybe, probably, you are kidding).

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As long as Costco is giving it to me for free, I'm not complaining. :D

Paying 50 cents at a gas station for air of questionable quality is worth complaining about . . . especially if you don't get to all four tires before your time runs out! :angry:

14. Fineagedwine43

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 3 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]297338[/snapback]</div>

Sorry, I waa just posting what I read and did not mean to appear to be ignornat or dumb.. just an artcile that I thought was interesting sorry.... :huh:

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    don't feel bad, fineagedwine. the criticism is not against you, it's against the article. we happen to have a group of folks here who tend to be a little more educated than the average citizen (call it the prius drawing smart folks ;) ) and when something debatable like this comes up, if it's related to someone's field or general area of knowledge they'll chime in. sometimes very critically, whether deserved (this article does deserve it) or not. in this case, it all boils down to "don't waste your money." don't take it personally, really.

by reading some of the debates around here, you'll learn a lot about a lot of things, not just cars. :)

16. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 3 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]297460[/snapback]</div>
    Huh? What makes you draw that conclusion?

17. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(njkayaker @ Aug 3 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]297303[/snapback]</div>
    You are, of courese correct. I cannot explain why in two readings of the OP that I failed to notice "Bourque, an engineer" , however I did (Must be my complete lack of critical reading skills.)
    I guess I have to confess that the concept of relative "inertness" is a new one to me. Inert gases (AKA "noble" gases) are inert gases. Nitrogen isn't one of them. Not that it's relevant to the discussion.
    I would guess that this "nonsense" is responsive to the idiotic analogy about filling your tires with air from the atmosphere when you wouldn't think of drinking from the scummy pond behind your house. OTOH, I took the poster to be serious about his belief that bad things leech out of plastic. (Doesn't mean I necessarily agree -- just that I don't think he was kidding.)

So, if I may be allowed to summarize your post:

1. I screwed up and missed something.
    2. Your have a different defintion of inert gases that the rest of the scientific community.

WRT critical reading: Did you happen to notice that both I and skruse agree with you about this article, or were you too busy making up your repsonse to the things that annoyed you?

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen a big mileage boost by filling my tires with flubber. :p

Tom

19. njkayaker

njkayaker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Aug 3 2006, 11:20 PM) [snapback]297476[/snapback]</div>
    Hold on dude! The "critical reading" complaint wasn't directed at you. Note that this comment was made before I quoted you (the order is deliberate and meaningful: If I had meant to direct it at you, I would have put it after your quote).

The "engineer" comment in the original article is an important element of why it was trash. You missed it (not a big deal) and I pointed it out (nothing more). The article is horribly written.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Aug 3 2006, 11:20 PM) [snapback]297476[/snapback]</div>
    Of the many serious problems with the article, the "inert" comment isn't really one of them.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inert
    "Chemistry. Not readily reactive with other elements; forming few or no chemical compounds"

Of course, there's relative inertness: compared to O2, N2 is very unreactive (ie, it's more inert).

The "pond" comment was deeply stupid. Anyway, the correct analogy is: Filling tires with nitrogen equals people drinking bottled water (silly waste of money) compared to filling with air equals drinking tap water.

Well, my original thought was that the "leaching" comment was serious but it might not be.

Yes, I did (obviously). That's why I focused on the quality (or lack thereof) of the article (the big thing that people hadn't thought to mention).

I pointed out important things that were incorrect. No big deal. That doesn't mean that stuff I did not mention was incorrect also. One thing nice about forums is that it's OK to make (honest) mistakes. It's not like I'm perfect either.