1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I screwed up and need help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sean F, May 5, 2017.

1. Sean F

Sean F New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Everyone,

I tried to replace the exhaust donut between the manifold and the cat. Not realizing the nuts are welded on I cut the spring bolts. I now need to remove the manifold to get at the nuts as I cut the bolts flush to the flange. There is no working space to do anything else with the nuts without removing the manifold. Drilling out the remaining bolt ends seems impossible as well.

So, is removing the manifold something that I can reasonably do myself with the car in jack stands? It's obvious that the manifold is very difficult to get at. Or is it time to call in the pros and admit that I probably tripled the cost of having the pros do it in the first place? What's the procedure for removing the manifold if I do attempt it?

Any advice appreciated!

Sean

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota repair manual assumes the engine has been removed, prior to removal of the exhaust manifold. You'll have to assess whether you have sufficient access to the manifold considering the space between the manifold and the firewall.

If you have sufficient access, then you would first remove the heat shield (four bolts) and then you can remove the manifold (3 bolts and 2 nuts).

I assume that you cut the spring bolts because they were too rusted to just unbolt, even after using rust penetrating lubricant? Or did you not try that avenue first?

Obviously you would need to use a new exhaust manifold gasket when reassembling. Tightening torques are 32 ft.-lb on the spring bolts, 20 ft.-lb on the exhaust manifold bolts/nuts, and 71 in.-lb on the bolts holding the heat shield on the manifold.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like it should be possible to drill out the remaining part of the bolt without removing anything else. You can just use nut and a bolt to put it back together.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure what's going on, but maybe a nut split tool?