1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I smoothed out the death rattle by….

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by HelloMcFly, May 23, 2023.

1. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So here’s a weird one.. I’m working on a car that has the notorious death rattle. I decide to do a compression check via tech stream (although I can never get this to run properly) while the engine is shaking violently and what do you know, the engine runs smooth as silk as soon as I turn on the test.

As soon as you stop the test the engine goes back to rattling like a car possessed. I look at the live stats while running this compression check and the fuel pump is still engaged, Vapor in the fuel lines, injectors are still firing, And the coils are still firing.

the only difference I see is afs voltage b1s1 is at 4.95 volts during a compression check where as disengaging the test it falls flat on its face down to near zero volts, which I assume is either a rich or lean condition causing the car to stumble.

This almost sounds like it’s a fuel mixture problem. I’ve had several cars have this violent shaking problem with no resolution, and every one clears when running the compression check action in tech stream while the cars running.

Any additional input as to why this Would happen? I’m all ears.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Doc. Maybe you've stumbled upon something....maybe change out the AFS and see if it makes a difference. Marty would be proud

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So the motor-generator can spin the engine smoothly, but once combustion begins the engine misfires.

That's still 50/50 between ignition and fuel in my book. New genuine plugs?

Does the car even care about the AFR during starts? I'd expect it to be operating in open-loop mode at that moment, but I do not know for certain...