1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I test drove a Fusion Hybrid

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 20, 2009.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, that's my sheep.
    And yes, that's my 72.9mpg (upper-right)

Attached Files:

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's it? Just another excuse for you and your sheep to go for a roll?:rolleyes:

(Am I better off NOT asking for a comparative review?:eek::D)

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What's that funny looking gauge all the way on the left? :rolleyes:

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was in a meeting and just wanted to initiate the thread for fear that if I didn't do it when I was thinking about it I would forget completely.

I have to admit that I didn't really spend a whole lot of time admiring or criticizing the car. It is very comfortable. It took me a while to find the key (how 20th century). When I turned it, I powered up the car and found it rather annoying that I couldn't tell that I had powered up the car. Apparently there's a little car icon in the bottom-right corner of the dash telling you that it's powered up. This is in lieu of the [READY] that we're all accustomed to.

Overall, I found the dash itself very nice. I wish Toyota had implemented as nice an LCD dashboard as this. Colorful and friendly and inviting. Even better: configurable. I am one who suggested that the MFD should have configurable settings. This would allow the "get in and drive" crowd to view only what they want whereas the hypermilers could be provided with additional information. The leaves that grow and fall off the screen had to go away and within a few minutes I had figured out the "Settings" buttons and replaced them with a 10-minute consumption screen, showing 1-minute bars.

There are screens not in the Prius. One shows the current "appliance" draw on the battery such as radio, A/C heated seats, etc. This is like hooking up a Kill-A-Watt to your house to remind you that you should turn some things off or at least down. Another nice display I liked was one that showed the available stealthing capacity and the current stealthing demand. Let me explain: when I'm stealthing along in Priapus, I am constantly trying to judge speed, terrain, and other demands in order to stay in stealth. This display shows you exactly how hard you're pushing the car and exactly where stealth will (and will not) engage. I had fun pressing the pedal a little harder and watching the demand bar go up. At the very moment that it crossed the "stealth threshold" the ICE kicked in. I coasted a little while and when the demand bar dropped back below the threshold I was gliding.

My overall impressions are positive. My wife will be looking seriously to buy a car in the near future and I will prompt her to test drive the Fusion Hybrid.

I also drove the Milan Hybrid. This one had the sunroof and NAV. With the NAV option you also get the MFD providing the familiar Energy and Consumption screens. Again, I didn't spend a whole lot of time playing with the instrumentation because I was driving.

2 people like this.
  5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Configurable display = awesome

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Kind of sounds like a description of the new ECO-METER in the 2010 Prius.

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you're right, John. Same concept, different display.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the LCd instrument cluster. I haven't test driven the Fusion Hybrid yet.

9. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I also test drove the Fusion Hybrid and I thought it was very well done. The only problem I had was the Ford dealer wouldn't budge one nickel off the sticker where as the Camry Hybrid I ended up buying (and am very happy with) had a $2500.00 rebate plus the Toyota dealer gave me $500.00 more for my trade and knocked an additional $2000.00 off the msrp. The Toyota dealer told me a year ago I wouldn't have got a rebate or a discount off the msrp and there was a 12 week wait. Mine was sitting on the lot. Funny how a $2.00 drop in the price of gas can change things. Rick

10. WPWoodJr

WPWoodJr New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I'm impressed! I haven't gotten mine over low 60's in any meaningfully long trip, and that was mostly downhill.

How long was your trip? Was it flat, moderately hilly, hilly?

On a round trip of 14 miles slightly hilly, I have made 55 mpg. On that same round trip I made just over 70 mpg in a gen II Prius.

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    P&G, Bill.;)

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also test-drove the Milan/FFH. My reaction was, "meh". It
    felt very large, but that's coming from a prius... I'll give it
    that it's very smooth, albeit in a yacht-like way. The biggest
    annoyance is the way the video-gauges behave -- very *slowly*.
    The "regen" arrow on the battery gauge fades in and out in a
    positively lazy fashion, which had me almost thinking the
    intensity of the little arrow was somehow indicating *quantity*
    of regen but no, it's just a very slow on/off. Maybe I like
    smooth in my driving and output, but when I make a change I want
    to *know* about it instantly and just how much delta it was.
    And it's still a sedan. The Ford people made some excuse about
    how nobody wants to buy hatchbacks or wagons anymore, which I
    think is yet another condition the automakers have *created*.
    Somebody wants haul space, sell 'em an SUV, right? Blech.
    _H*

13. WPWoodJr

WPWoodJr New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're wrong about the regen indicators; they do indicate quantity - you can tell because they will stay dim when regen is light. The FFH gauges respond very quickly to changing conditions.

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Ford presentation was Market-Speak pure and simple. There were technical discussions but the wording and the phrases were very well presented. Rather than asking if anyone drives hatchbacks anymore, the presenter said, "no one drives hatchbacks anymore." Rather than mentioning that the Prius ICE engages for the warm-up cycle, the presenter refered to it as "starting up for no reason" even when he later refered to the FFH warm-up cycle.

I find it hard to get upset when I hear these presentations because they are just doing their jobs. Every good presenter knows that the average listener is trying to 'connect' with them and will often agree even when it goes against their personal beliefs because group-think has kicked in or because "they must know what they are talking about."

15. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi Tony;

Glad to see you had a chance to try out the Fusion Hybrid. I only attended the first presentation since as you said, there's always quite a bit of marketing-speak and I can only take so much of that.
    Frankly, I was more interested in Wayne's account of the one tank record they had set. That was more fun.

Anyhow, we had a chance to take the car out for a good drive over an entire evening and man, can that machine perform. Almost every one of us cranked out 70+ MPG's without much trouble... and in terms of handling, this is car to be beat... and nothing is more clear of this when being coached by Wayne in one of those corner carving sessions.

I too found the display as close to ideal and the configurability is without a doubt a welcome first in this industry. I just hope Toyota takes a page out of the Ford Fusion book and adds this much needed feature at some point - including the appliance load among others.

Would I buy this car? Sadly, nope.
    No folding seat and a potential of just 70-75 MPG is not my cup of tea since I already have those attributes in my garage.

Is it better than the Camry Hybrid? Personally and without reservation: a resounding Yes.
    Is it better than the 2010 Prius? In some areas, yes. In others, not a chance.

In my view, the Fusion hybrid is without peer in that vehicle class.

Cheers;

MSantos

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

Wow, After reading this I want the Fusion Hybrid more and more. It is really making my Camry look bad. :) Sadly though none of the dealers around me can keep one on the lot long enough so I can get a test drive of one. I love that snapshot of the dash, nice display compared tot he Camry's one needle and single display.

17. acdii

acdii Active Member

Well, I got a chance to test drive one and all I can say is

WOW

Nice ride, comfortable seats, handles nice, the dash is SWEET, the NAV is Sweet, the price, too high right now, not budging of MSRP, :sadpuppy:

I didn't get to drive it long enough or far enough like my daily drive to determine if the Fusion can indeed exceed the Camry in MPG land, but I did grow a bush on the dash. I didnt have enough time to play with the display either as I am very interested in the different views.

If I were looking to buy another hybrid, where I didn't have any other cars to pay for, the choice between the Toyota and the Ford would be easy, FORD. Great job guys, it's a winner.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

but I did grow a bush on the dash :eek:

haha. Jokes aside. Looks like I gotta take one out for a drive and see what the hoohaahaa is about.

19. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good to hear that likes the FFH as much as I did. Ford did a great job, I think you might see more wiggle room once we actually get closer to 2010

20. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, so were gonna compare the Ford Hybrid to the Prius???

I myself test drove the Ford Fusion Hybrid before buying the 2010 Prius. I do concur the Dash is really great with the LCD technology, and I like the user configurability.

As for comfort the car was comfortable and a bit more sound deadening than the Prius.

You know what changed my mind in the end to NOT pick the Ford Fusion over the Prius? 4 Things

1) Fold Down rear seat
    2) MPG rating
    3) Hybrid experience in the real world market
    4) Toyota's almost 12 years of Hybrid Synergy Technology compared to the Ford history

I think it will become better and give the competition a run for the money if they perfect it even more.