1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Think I bonded with my Prius tonight.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brewmaster, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Junior Member

OK, so I installed Sirius in the car about a month ago. I got the Sportster four for $70 bucks from Sirius and mounted it in the dash to the left of the wheel. I used the Aux power output in the center console to power it temporarily until I have more time.

Well, the reception of the new Sirius plug and play units suck A$$! The FM transmitter blows in the newer Sirius radios. FU to the FCC for that!!!

Last week I bought the FM direct relay from Best Buy ($30 beans) :( and had to wait for a day to install it.

The day came today. I'm on vacation for two weeks :D . This install should be a breeze. I pulled off the necessary dash components and with the MFD and audio removed, I proceeded to snake the pertinent wires and all was good. It was time for a test before reassembling the dash........ F#$^ I blew a fuse!!!!!! using the dash mounted 12 volt DC output.

I look high and low pulling all the fuses under the hood and cant find the fuse for the 12 volt output. After getting pissed at myself I decide to pull the center console apart. I pulled it apart and hooked up the power for the radio to it and it's time for a test again.

Bad news, I blow That fuse too! So now I'm pissed to say the least. I went back into the house as it was getting dark and i couldn't see what i was doing. I decided to have a beer or two to calm me down :D

So, while drinking the beers I logged into Priuschat and ask for help locating the fuse box for the 12 volt aux outputs. Vagabond was kind enough to give me the location of the fuse box. Once I found the box, I replaced the blown fuses, soldered the connections and wrapped up the job.

I have now bonded with my Prius :D

I will post pics of the install tomorrow!

Sorry for the rant but cars can get me a little edgy.

Thanks again to Vagabond.

Cheers,
    Jim

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As painful as that initial bonding experience was for you, I bet you're glad you did it. And next time you need to get in there your confidence will be higher. I really like to encourage people to try to do their own mods...at least small simple ones as I think it helps get rid of some of the mystery of the car and makes you feel more like you understand it.

3. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]487849[/snapback]</div>
    Actually that wasn't the first time I worked on my cars. I have 20+ years doing service and pm on my cars including engine and tranny overhaul.

It still pissed me off like the first transmission I changed at 17.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 30 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]487849[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. Before my first mod, I've never taken apart a car's interior before. Now I can confidentally tell people that I can take apart the right side of the dash in < 5 mins and put it back too. lol.