1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I got a "hello" beep today. Yay!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lgamber1, Dec 18, 2007.

1. lgamber1

lgamber1 New Member

So exciting. I live in San Jose where there are many Prii, so I have never been waved or beeped at by another Prius driver. But today I totally got a beep hello from another Prius driver (I think, anyway). It totally made my day!

Thank you to the guy in the driftwood pearl prius with the HOV stickers who passed me in the opposite direction and beeped at me while I was waiting on the on ramp to Stevens Creek Blvd (if a nice Prius hello was, indeed, your intention)!

2. Mobius570

Mobius570 New Member

Funny you mention this, I was thinking of this the other day.

In 2001 I purchased a 2001 Honda Insight. This car was few and far between and I hardly ever seen one other than mine. When I would see another on the road I always received a friendly beep or a thumbs up. I had my Prius for 3 weeks now (traded the Insight in for it) and one day seen 9 others on the road, but no reaction from the other drivers. I consider myself an early adopter since owning the Insight, but was thinking the Prius was alot more mainstream. I wonder how many of these owners actually know or care about hybrid technology. I think most of the average drivers I see, just know it is better on gas, and not exactly sure what hybrid technology is or how it works.

3. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but you could carry that to an extreme. I'd argue that a working definition of "exactly sure what hybrid technology is or how it works" is a vastly various thing between beholders.

~ dan ~

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never gotten any or given reactions to other Prius drivers while on the road. When I'm driving my Z, I usually give other Z drivers a thumbs up and they usually wave back or also give me a thumbs up.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In '04 I got and gave waves.

I stopped waving when people stopped waving back.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sorry, Tony. I didn't realize you had taken it so personally. Here's one for you!: 01_28_t.gif

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last week I happened to stop beside a nice silver Prius at traffic lights. It was a nice day and I had the window down so I signaled to the passenger to wind their window down.

"Nice car!" I said. They thought my 2004 was a later model than theirs, (it isn't) because it had the sharkfin antenna.

I have had a couple of waves and nods. I always wave if I can see them looking.

I'm affraid Prius seems to be the new Volvo in Adelaide. A lot of Prius drivers seem to be totally oblivious to what is happening outside their car except what might hit them. I still love my green, silver Volvo Prius.