1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I got him...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Widdletink, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi All,

Well, tonight it finally happened! My hubby had a "Gee I wish it were a Prius" moment with his Pathfinder. Now, before you start clucking about his Nissan, he actually does use and need 4WD for work as well as recreation (but mostly for work). He is a Microwave Radio Engineer and spends alot of time cavorting on mountain tops working at radio towers and such. Most of these have no pavement and barely a road so a 4WD is a necessity.

Anyway, since my car came into the family (a scant 6 weeks ago) we have been using it almost exclusively to go anywhere we wanted or needed to go. Including a 1005 mile round trip to Tucson for his Ham radio meeting last weekend. So, my hubby, Mel, has been spending a lot of time in my wonderful car.

Today I decided to be a really nice wife and washed and detailed his car along with my own (I have never washed or vaccumed a car as much in my life as I do my Prius) so he wanted to use his car to go pick up the guitar playing teenager from his band practice and go to the store.

After we came out of the store Mel walked up to the hatch of his car and pulled on the handle. A perplexed look crossed his face, he glanced my way and then smiled. I knew. I asked him if he was trying to use the SKS (smart key system) and he sheepishly admitted that he was and that he was about to ask me to please stand closer to the car so that the door would open when he remembered his car doesn't have SKS!

All I could get out of him after this was "Boy I can hardly wait until there is a hybrid with good 4wd". I hereby claim this victory in the name of all of us who have braved the way and also on behalf of SKS, the feature that made a convert of him.

Take care,

Tisza

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    highlander hybrid?

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Good story! He's learning. He'll have to take a Lexus RX400H for a test drive to see if it has what it takes to go up the mountain roads.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lexus is supposed to have an advanced traction system. our current system on the prius is the same as the current Lexus.. says a lot for our prius. The 400h will be the only new vehicle with this new system.. you can accelerate and slip the wheels.. climb baby climb

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    WARNING: Prolonged use of the Smart Key System can make you lazy and dumb.

I now find it difficult to use a non-SKS car. What do you mean I have to insert a key into the door, then into the ignition, then crank it . . . then remember to take the key with me. How 20th century.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think my wife is slowly wearing down. After a weekend of 100+ miles, most of which I let her drive, I congratulated her on increasing the mileage from 45.7 to 45.9 and she jokingly apologized that the fuel gauge had lost a bar. In her Buick, it would have been more like 22MPG and roughly 1/3 of a tank.

7. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

And... Go Tony!...G Tony! It really is true, the more they ride or drive this car, the more they will want one for themselves.

Last night, Mel even agreed that we should consider getting another Prius, perhaps a used 1st generation for him to use as a commuter car. WooHoo! If I can do it we will be a two Prius family by the end of this year.

Also, my 17 1/2 year old step son has decided that as soon as he can afford to get a car for himself he wants a Prius just like mine. He is no longer waxing poetic about the VW Jetta as the "coolest car ever".

Take care,

Tisza

8. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Both of my kids wanted to borrow my car to drive to LA this weekend - separate trips. My husband complained that I won't let him drive it so why should they get to. I explained to them that while I appreciate that they have recognized that I have the superior car, basically, IT"S MINE!! My car goes on a road trip only with me along. My 19 and 22 year olds thought that would put a damper on their Spring Break plans. So, they are finding other transportation. Hey, I have not problem (well maybe a little one) if they want to borrow it around for here but a trip taking them 7 hours minimum away and going for several days is just too much. I'm likely to go into withdrawal

My daughter's argument was 'we (we ?) bought the Prius to save on gas and now I need a car that saves gas and you won't let me use it' My husband countered that if saving gas was what it was all about, he would be using it as his commute car. Funny that they are fighting over my car.

Hey, getting the Prius (still un-named) was my idea - they can get their own! I guess I never learned to share very well.

9. coloradospringsprius

Just cars?!? I find myself standing outside my door, wondering how to get into the house.

--Mark
    '05 Tideland AM

10. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi Colorado et al,

Thank you for the giggle. The mental picture was just priceless. Welcome to the fold, judging by the date you joined and by the number of posts that you have made yours is a very new '05.

Congrats! I am adding to your point total for the giggle and for the love of black cats.

Take care,

Tisza

11. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

So you have named your car already. MINE!!

Or Superior ;)

12. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

How about "Super Salsa"? Nah, a little long.

13. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its fun to be right!

:lol: