1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I have gone full circle on the Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Jul 6, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I never worried too much about the wheels on my Standard Prius, until I started seeing some others upgrades. Then for a while I started feeling like they must be changed, but I need to keep the weight down very close to factory 15 lbs. I started searching eBay for a "deal" and I found these 2003 Corola Wheels that I thought looked sort of nice. As a bonus, they came with a set of brand new integrity tires, but in the 165/R65 size. Then, the more I studied them, they aren't that much different than the originals, and as far as I could find out, I think they weigh about 17 lbs. (They ended up going to the high bidder for $405 + about $100 shipping)

[attachmentid=9488]

I actually like the extra detail on the factory wheels where the spokes turn in (the area covered by the transport protection rigns). Then I looked again today and think, they sure look tiny on there, like little toy wheels. I think I would like some 16 inch wheels, but don't want to go to 17 due to weight and harsher ride.

What do you all think? Scale of 0 - 10 with 10 is your idea of the coolest wheels, do these originals at least score a 6 or 7? No one has come up to me in the parking lot to say "Where did you get those, I want some just like those!". If a bunch of you say 6, 7 or 8, I might be able to save myself some money.

[attachmentid=9490]

Attached Files:

2. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

I give 'em an 8 because of their very low weight.

Their looks are fine. I prefer a plainer look - one reason I pause at the more expensive wheels is because of their desirability... the car looks great on the wheels but how will it look up on the matching set of cinderblocks after dinner and a movie? :eek:

I just wish they were bigger. I'll probably go 17, went 16 for my wife and they are great, but I'm looking for something a tad more aggressive.

3. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

[​IMG]

I might be weird, but I like the stock wheels with the trim rings. It's a part of the futuristic look of the Prius. Keep in mind that most people do not realize they are plastic trim rings. When I was first looking at the Prius, I thought the entire wheel was alloy and was impressed that they had been able to mold it like that. I had to get down and look at the trim ring to be sure what the material was...

I would not put anything from a Corolla on my Prius. It would bother me just knowing the source of the wheels... And, I don't think the look of those Corolla wheels match the Prius very well.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Jul 7 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]474806[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I don't have any hatred toward Corollas, I bought one for my son, but those wheels are no longer under consideration due to similarity, and they are the same 15 inch size as stock rims, so why bother. Glad you like the rings too. I need to stop kidding around about them because just because I prefer them off, there is nothing wrong with them. I will probably just keep the stock rims, and upgrade the tires some day, unless I start feeling they look to small again.