1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I killed my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RobN, Aug 25, 2007.

1. RobN

RobN New Member

I'm not sure if she will survive :( . A kid made a turn right in front of me. I was a little surprised that the air bags did not go off.

Attached Files:

2. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OH my .... hope everyone is OK and you get your Prius fixed or replaced.

Best wishes
    Gabe

3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That hurts to see. I hope this becomes a distant memory ASAP!

4. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yikes! I hope you and the Prius will be alright.

Out of curiosity, how fast were you going, how well did the Prius manuver (if there was time) and how well did she absorb the impact? Did everyone just walk away?

Any protrusion into the passenger cabin?

5. mellowyellow

mellowyellow New Member

sorry to hear,and I hope everybody is fine, as far the air bags, if everybody in the car is ok the air bag computer did its job.
    keep us posted on the process.... repair

6. RobN

RobN New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Aug 25 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]502166[/snapback]</div>
    I was just the other driver and myself. I'm fine (we'll see how I feel in the morning) and the I think the other driver was ok as he did not request any medical help. I approached the intersection with the light green so I was probably going 30mph. I think the other guy might be a bit more sore as the '67 Impala doesn't have shoulder belts and I don't know if it even has a lap belt. I didn't have time to manuver as I didn't expect him to turn when I was already in the intersection. From what I can tell all the damage was absorbed by the front of the car. The doors didnt show any damage and the drivers door open and close ok. I didn't to try the passenger side because it might have caused more damage. There were no protrusions in to the cabin that I could see. The funny thing is that the upper glove box opened. The G forces must have been enough to push the button in. Also the secret drawer on the center console slide open and everthing flew out of there. The car was sure sreaming after the accident. The red triangle was on the screen (not sure what the message was) and the ICE was still running but making an terrible noise. Quite a colorful array of liquids poured our of it.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dreadful news
    Sorry for your loss.

It looks like the car did it's job of absorbing the impact. Looks like the damage to the big olde yank tank was about the same as to the Prius (but cheaper to fix due to abundant supply of second hand parts).

Was no one hurt? If so it's a good thing the airbags didn't go off, they weren't needed and they can cause more injury if they aren't needed.

I hope it all gets sorted with a minimum of fuss.
    Good luck with it all.
    Pat

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not sure about frame or insides but you're looking at new bumper and cover, hood, both fenders, both headlights, wheel, plus all of the inside stuff. That white container (not sure what it holds....washer fluid or radiator overflow. Probably a new radiator. I'm guessing at least $4-5,000. Looks like the front end might have been pushed slightly to the passenger side as the driver's fender doesn't line up with the pillar that comes down from the roof on the side of the windshield. But hard to say. Might just be the panels that are bent.

Be sure to ask about the integrity of the frame. In case it's bent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 25 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]502176[/snapback]</div>
    I'll bet they total the Impala. How much could it be worth? Even second hand parts the labor will cost more than the car.

9. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, it looks as if the intrusion into the passenger compartment was minimal; good news for all of us Prius drivers :)

More good news, as you are not injured and the other driver is at fault. My money is on your insurance company buying you a new Prius.

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    very glad you're ok, my vote is that its totalled ..

11. RobN

RobN New Member

If it is indeed totaled, do you recommend the touring or the regular version of the 2007 Prius?

12. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Post deleted. or tried.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 25 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]502178[/snapback]</div>
    I'll raise you $10,000.

14. paulrubin

paulrubin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 25 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]502209[/snapback]</div>
    It's probably going to be totaled. I had far less damage recently with NOTHING to the mechanicals and that was $8000. I'm guessing they won't even do a part by part analysis. It would be too long. Probably more like $15,000 and that's without using all new Toyota parts. Do what I did and have a discussion with the body shop manager before the insurance company gets involved. He'll have a good idea whether the damage is even in the remotely fixable realm and if he knows you want it fixed or totaled, there are ways to help make that happen.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Godiva, I bet you're right but even so the overall damage bill will be less. Even in good condition the Impala can't be worth much to replace.

Reason for my comment is you often hear people say new cars crumble in accidents. Here we have 2 cars hit with equal force and similar damage, wrecks that theory.

16. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's really sad looking at those pics of the Prius. :(
    Yet, I am amazed that it withstood the impact so well, being hit by an old Impala.
    It's reassuring to know that it can. :)

17. Tlyke1983

Tlyke1983 Red Sonja

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was actually hit from the front passenger side by a Mercury truck and my airbags did not go off either. I think my engine dropped and there was a ton of liquid all on the ground. The damage to my previous car looked very similar to yours and my air bags did not come on either. I was told because I was not hit dead on. Even though my car was destroyed I was actually fine so I guess the car did it's job. I may have panicked anyway if the airbags had gone off. Hopefully you can resolve this issue as soon as possible. I know I hate being without my car so I feel your pain.

18. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 25 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]502178[/snapback]</div>
    Let's see here about the other car. It is a 1967 Chevrolet Impala that seems to have been in pretty good shape until that kid made a dumb move. A search for Impalas from that time period (I looked on Collector Car Trader for '65 to '68) indicates that even one that needs restoration will cost a bit of money. I'm looking at a 9 passenger '67 Impala wagon that is not in the greatest shape, is not its original color (purple outside, gold inside) and is going for about 4 grand. I'm guessing that the Impala that you were hit with was worth a great deal more, even if the four door sedan body style is about the least desirable of the bunch (wouldn't you rather have a convertible?). It probably is totaled, because the Prius really took a chunk out of that car. I would not be surprised if the frame is bent. I found a '67 sedan for $5200 that was not in the greatest shape, and cars of similar vintage or condition (before he hit you) in the 8 to 12k range. If you're driving a 40 year old Impala, it's not likely because you just need a car to drive.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to your Prius. This also takes me back to when I was in high school. First my grandparents promised me the '65 Bel-Air sedan would be mine when I got my license. My great-grandmother wiped that out, the body was damaged beyond economical repair. They then offered me their '68 Impala sedan, but my grandfather was in an accident with that one, which didn't seem to do that much body damage, but bent the frame. I got a moped as a graduation present.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    first of all, glad you're okay and the prius took care of ya- not sure if it's totalled, but good luck with getting the whole mess taken care of!

if you're gonna get hit that's the cheap side to get hit on... there's not a ton of stuff over there (compared to inverter, pumps, lines, coolant tank on the other side.)

we're amazed the prius took that kind of chunk out of the impala! :eek:

20. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 26 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]502351[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what I was thinking. That's old Detroit steel - when they we're building them like tanks. Or not.