1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I may have asked this before. If I have asked this or there are similar forums please let m

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by tgpii, Nov 15, 2017.

1. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think I may have asked this before. If I have asked this or there are similar forums please let me know.

I currently live in Chicago, Illinois. I applied for a job in Anchorage, Alaska. It will be just me moving.

Currently I drive a 2012 Prius C two. It has 71,000 miles. If I move to Anchorage I have a few different options I am thinking about. I just wish the Prius C had a temperature gauge. I do own the car.

#1. Is the car worth saving or should I just fly and get a new car when I get their? I really don't like this because I can't move as much junk.

#2. Drive the Prius C from Chicago to Anchorage. I am debating on weather I could maybe take a small trailer with? Since Harbor Freight stop selling trailers, not sure what trailer if I could or should use. Maybe a trailer that is designed for motorcycles to tow, but those are on the expensive side. Would want a small cheap trailer.

#3. Rent a Uhaul or other rent a wreck, with a car trailer/dolly.

#4. Fly and have the car shipped. Not sure if the car is worth it.

Another question I know I would need to have an engine block heater installed. Do I need a battery heater or other types of car auxiliary heaters? Where can/could I have them installed?

If anyone has two cents on above or another idea please let me know. Thank you and Happy Hump Day!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dealership will probably do installed price for the block heater around $250 in the States. Just a guesstimate.

Two hours usage is good, almost everywhere, maybe 3 hours, in dead-of-winter Alaska. Assume you will forget to unplug, sooner or later, plan accordingly: secure the cord to the front grill with double zip ties, a couple of inches apart, and use an extension cord that pulls straight out, easily, and is also secured to something solid. Ensure if/when you forget to unplug, the block heater cord will not be dragging on the road, that it's up high enough to be clear.

tgpii likes this.
  3. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The heater only cost $50-$100 bucks. What about battery warmer? I would use a timer on the heater.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The block heater part is $50~100, but install is not a lot of fun, thus the $250 installed guestimate. I've done the EGR, so I guess yeah, I'd be able to manage it. Not sure about the c, but likely you'd want to take the wipers and cowl off.

Not sure about a battery warmer, maybe @spiderman can comment? Not sure how active he still is here.

5. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Anything on my other questions? Thanks.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I happened to see battery warmers today, they're around $30? Just a wrap around blanket. The c's battery location might be problematic, and maybe reduce the need too?

7. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would put the batter warmer around the batter and leave it, just plug and unplug it. Also what about oil pain and other heathers? If I got the job in AK, I would get an engine block heater for sure, and see how it works. I have started my 2012 prius C in -10 temp and -30 wind chill. That was after it sat outside all night.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah just start with block heater, see how that goes. probably enough.

9. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From what I been researching Anchorage only has a few days below Zero. Now if I went to Fairbanks that is another game.