1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I messed up the footwell led

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Frederickdawg, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I removed the lower footwell panel to check the air duct and cable tied it using two cable ties to stop resonating. Prior to that I had used some felt to wedge it in between the duct exits.

After putting everything back together I noticed the footwell led wouldn't work anymore. The dome lights still work how ever. I tried to check with a meter to see If the harness was outputting any voltage but I couldn't get a reading. Meter was set to DC so I'm assuming i set the dials right. Would appreciate some pointers in getting this fixed. Cheers

SM-N960U1 ?

2. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Make sure the plug on the back of the panel is pushed home properly.

3. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did.

I just checked the passenger side one. I wasn't aware that one existed there. But that isn't coming on either.

SM-N960U1 ?

4. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Are the headlights on? Vaguely recall they only come on with the headlights. After that you may want to check the relevent fuse. Mine are definitely on now, sat here in the dark, in Ready mode, with headlights on Auto.

5. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll check that. But I remember them coming on when I opened the door to remove the panel in the first instance and headlights weren't on.

I'm thinking it might be a fuse. I did a continuity test on the two pins that connect to the led footwell light. No dice.

I think the fuse for this is going to be located on the driver side footwell fuse box, but for the labels dont show me anything footwell light related?

20190126_131042.jpeg

SM-N960U1 ?

6. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok I had enough for one day. I put everything back together.

Looks like whatever fuse controls the footwell LEDs is shared for the door switch lighting and shifter light. As none of those are coming on now either.

SM-N960U1 ?

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info) shows how the footwell light (the No. 1 Interior Illumination Light Assembly LH, in Toyota’s terms) is connected to the Instrument Panel Junction Block Assembly, for which the cover is seen in your photo above. Unswitched power comes from the auxiliary (12-volt) battery via the 7.5 A DOME fuse and a gray wire connected to 3D-25. The ground connection is switched by a transistor in the Main Body ECU, via a white wire connected to 3A-37. (For later readers who might be interested in the RH light, substitute pink, 3D-24, green, and 3A-36, respectively.)

The Repair Manual has a troubleshooting procedure, under Vehicle Interior: Lighting (Int): Lighting System: Footwell Light Circuit. If you’re probing connectors, be sure to do it from the back (wire) side, to avoid deforming the terminals by inserting meter probes.

8. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply, I was probing using the back of the plugs so that the pins dont get bent.
    So would you know which fuse label is the one I need to inspect? Cheers.

Edit. I'm thinking its ECU B NO.1 ? No it wasn't.

SM-N960U1 ?

#8 Frederickdawg, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  9. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    3rd fuse down on left. Says 7.5A and DOME.

10. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I pulled that it turned off my dome lights.

So far I've checked fuses ecu b no1 and ecu b no2 and as mentioned above the dome light one.

SM-N960U1 ?

11. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just got scammed out of $20 trying to do a 2 day subscription for that snap on tech info website that was linked here. Keeps telling me my password doesnt match, so I keep following a link create a new password and repeat. FML.

SM-N960U1 ?

12. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It finally allowed me to gain access. Checked out the tech manual in reference to fuses and 3k block etc. No joy.

Gonna take it in for the LH axle tick noise and have them look at it. I think she's still under warranty. 3 year 36k?

On a side note. I've worked on my cars for years , sure made the odd boo boo here and there during my early years. But simply removing the driver side trim where the led is mounted on and causing all this , SMH.

SM-N960U1 ?

13. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The power of prayer. All works now.

SM-N960U1 ?

krmcg likes this.