1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I shorted out my BCM for the Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tonybluegoat, Apr 25, 2019.

1. tonybluegoat

tonybluegoat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I did a stupid thing. Both my headlights (low beam) went out at the same time. I thought it must be a relay so I screwed around with the relays until it shorted something out. The high beams went out as well. It turned out that my headlight low beams went out at the same time due to aftermarket light assemblies that aren't very water proof.

The relays were fine, the fuses were fine. I just screwed up and shorted something. So the headlights wouldn't work at all, just the markers.

Anyway, I live in the country so I can do just about anything I want to my car and pass inspections. It's a 2006. So I had my mechanic just put in alternate wiring for my headlights - toggle switch in the dash. A pain but I don't care, I'm cheap and the car is old. 375k miles

When I turn the car off with the side markers on I can hear the BCM clicking. So I think I shorted the Body Control Module. I can pick up a used one for $65 on ebay. My question is, does the BCM need to be programmed by a Toyota Dealer if I replace it? I have no interest in paying a fortune to the dealership just for the conveniences of getting to use my normal light switch again.

(Yes, I know I'm a idiot. but I like swinging through the trees and doing stupid stuff.)

Thoughts. Thanks. Tony

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You’ll get the best answers if you post this in gen 2 forum.