1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think I've read this forum too much....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bluemonday, Sep 8, 2009.

1. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I left work today ready to jet off in my Prius and practice my techniques for better mileage.

But I couldn't get out of the parking lot. The car didn't want to go. :confused:

Now I've read threads about people not being in "READY" mode because they didn't actually start the car correctly (having foot on brake). So I looked, but it wasn't that. I was in ready. :confused::confused:

I've read about people sort of "slapping" it into drive too fast and it actually not being there long enough to "register" that I want drive. So I look, and it is indeed in drive. Just to be sure, I try again to put it in drive, leaving the gear shift there for a second or two to be sure. No go. :confused::confused::confused:

My brakes! Maybe they've rusted as I recently read happened to someone who washed their car then left the car sitting for a bit. It did rain a bit the other day but I haven't washed the car recently. Hmmmm. Probably not that. :confused::mad::confused::mad:

Hmmm.

I also read recently about whether you should engage the parking brake when parked. Some say it's bad for the car to always do it (it wears out). Some say it's bad to never do it (the mechanism gets out of sorts from lack of use.) The consensus seems to be to occasionally use it even if you aren't the type who uses it all the time. And I'd decided to do this today when I parked. Then promptly forgot. :embarassed:

Diagnosis: driver error, with too much reading of this forum as contributing factor to both the problem and to delay in diagnosis. :D

5 people like this.
  2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always set the brake and decided to not try to break myself of the brake habit, so I don't have to cut myself a break for doing the reverse of what you did. :D

3. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW now that's really a bad brake. :eek: :D

4. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Cute story - I know, sometimes information overload.

I use the parking brake about 30% of the time. And 10% of those times, forget to release the brake as I'm ready to go, and not...

My excuse - the warning light is WAAAAAY over to the right of the MID.

5. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I always set the brake. That way I never forget to release it. Well, almost never.

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We know you flunked your 12-step program on this. ;)

7. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I'm going to do the opposite and not train myself to do something once in awhile when it may not matter. In other words, if it ain't broke...

8. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting as my car moves just fine with the P break on, when starting up on flat surfaces (like my garage) and forgetting to take it off. Normally the beeping should remind me but it’s competing with the reverse beeping that I have not yet had modified. Thus, have been using it less not to wear it out (and hoping it works on a hill : )