1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think my dealer is wrong

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by K9CRT, Jan 14, 2015.

1. K9CRT

K9CRT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I received a letter from the Toyota dealer I bought my Prius new from saying his records indicate my 2013 Prius might be do for the following maintenance

Electronics engine Tune Up
    Transmission Service
    R&R Serpentine Belt
    3M fuel system cleaner, cleans injectors, valves and combustion

Gee what a high maintenance car this is turning out to be ! All this expense with only 12,100 miles and 1 1/2 years since new in Julu 2013.

I haven't checked my owners manual yet but I seriously doubt it needs any of this. This just really Pi** me off when dealers do this. It is getting harder and harder to find a dealer and not a stealler, and when it comes time to trade I won't forget this treatment.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why get upset? just tear up the letter and continue with your life. It's just a solicitation letter, just like any other you get in the mail

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The hungry dealer is trying to rip you off for unnecessary service for a car age and milage.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But there is ONE recommendation on that list that has merit:
    Get a bottle of Techron and put it in the gas.
    I do that every oil change; every 7-10K miles.

Okinawa likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you feel like messing with them, ask them to show you this serpentine belt. Remember, your GenIII Prius is beltless.

It isn't your Prius that is high maintenance. It is the owner's boat and vacation home that are high maintenance, and s/he needs to find cash somewhere to pay for them.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Consider this an invitation to do business elsewhere. Either another dealer or a independent mechanic. You can document the work no matter where it is done. (Each dealer is an independent businessman, Toyota has no control other them)

Service History Online - Toyota Owners

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The key thing is you received a letter "From a Toyota Dealership".....

Those are independently owned and operated franchises, with independent philosophies and approaches to doing business.

Yes...I think it is just a BS attempt to bring you in for a bill.

Your regular recommended maintenance which is basically just tire rotations, inspections and oil changes, should be covered under "Toyota Care".

I believe the 3rd Gen Prius has a beltless engine, so it doesn't even HAVE a serpentine belt to replace.

Sounds like an adapted shot gun blast solicitation letter.

I'd search for a less desperate and maybe slightly more ethical service department. And the maintenance you should follow is the Toyota Factory recommendations.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd bet that's exactly what it is and a poorly done one at that. It's probably a canned message what was either intended for a difference mailing list or just blasted to everyone on their mailing list regardless of vehicle. I get them from places I've used for service on other vehicles. The thing I look at is the postage. Chances are it's PRSRT STD, meaning "junk" mail. We recently bought a dishwasher from Sears and I decided to spring for a discounted EW. I may never use it, but the first unit they delivered died the 2nd day, failed electronics. Anyway, today I get a solicitation in the mail (prsrt std) for a 2-yr maintenance plan even though I already have a longer plan that was cheaper than this offer. My point is that in this day and age of cheap bulk mail rates, it's simply more cost-effective for companies to blast their customer base rather than spend the time/money to tailor solicitations for work that is really needed. I had my 10,000 mile service done in October and got a notice in December for my 15,000 mile service. To be fair, they probably based the email on the time it took me to get to the 10,000 mile point and that was only because of an 7,400 mile trip right after I bought the car. If the postage isn't First Class, I might open I to see if there is a coupon or something, but I don't pay attention to much beyond that.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be interesting to go in and see if they actually sign you up for the belt r&r.:cool:

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dealer is smart. They coyed onto the fact that I wasn't going to be sold any unnecessary parts or service, so the service manager made a note on my file not to replace anything unless it was actually needed. I suppose they have to shear the money somewhere, but I'm glad it's not me.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just make absolutely certain to ask for the old parts to be returned to you. I'd really want to see what they present for that serpentine belt.

12. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A