1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think my gas tank may need a laxative.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gray Kitty, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Gray Kitty

Gray Kitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    okay not really but hey I got you to click on this didn't I? Starting last week I started using some of the tips I found here to try to get a full 11 gallons into my fuel tank. since then I've noticed a sharp decrease in the miles per gallon that I've been getting. I know that there's a charcoal canister you have to be careful about and other Emissions Control doodads but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something that's going to come back to haunt me. What I've been doing is filling the tank as slow as possible after letting it breathe for 5 minutes, and filling it with the nozzle upside down as was recommended in another thread. Both times my tank has been down to flashing need gas which should indicate I have less than 2 gallons left in the tank, and both times I added 9 gallons. Does anybody have any tips or information on this that I can make use of?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bottom line... do not bother trying to put 11 gallons in.

Put in what it takes and move on.

Sounds like you are doing a good job trying to avoid damaging the canister.
    But the risk and time spent may not be worth the possible damage.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This ^.

Also, how much you put in the tank has nothing to do with how many miles you can go on a gallon, only how many miles you can go on a tank. Gen 2s are frustrating because the tank is inconsistent, but your measured mpg does average out over time and your real mpg is unaffected by this dumb design.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly what they said.

Having owned my bought new in 07 Prius almost 13 years I never tried to put more than 9 gallons in it unless you want gas in your shoes.
    Because that's where it likes to click off.

Even if it gets crappy mileage at 40 mpg's that's still 360 miles.

Hang it up first click. And when your the slightest bit confused about it please read Jerrys post above mine again.

jerrymildred likes this.