1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think my hybrid battery is dead?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pougeslanding, May 31, 2010.

1. Pougeslanding

Pougeslanding New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius has 80,000K plus miles. Yes, I do a lot of driving. Today I was in Austin when the red triangle (master light) appeared. I was at a light and had to restart the engine. The light stayed on for some time then re-set. Of course today was Sunday so no one was open. I started back home. I live 64 mile out of Austin, was on the south side of San Marcos and near where I had purchased the car when I had a power failure again. The triangle master light and the car (hybrid indication) came on. I managed to exit the highway where the dealership is located and roll to a stop at a stop sign. I had to go over the freeway which meant climbing a hill. I tried one more start, it started and over the hill we went. Rolled to a stop outside the locked back gate to the dealer. My son came to pick me up and take me on home. Tonight she sets all alone at the dealership gate, the dealer has a night box with my key in it and tomorrow morning I will know what happened. I had just filled the gas tank before going to Austin.

Do you think some of these cars have a mind of their own? My little Prius has always taken care of me and today she saved me from a 17 mile towing bill. I have replaced the 12V battery and didn't see any increase in mileage after doing that. I have been loosing mileage steady for several months now. I think the main Hydrogen batter is dead. What do you think?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The prius doesnt have a hydrogen battery...

Anyways, it sounds very much like your 12v battery is dying (well really is dead). Replace that. Since you live in Texas, I am guessing you have had some hot summers which kills a battery pretty fast.

If your hybrid battery was dead, the car would work perfectly, but your ICE would run a lot more often. It would also charge and discharge extremely quickly and behave erratic that way.

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, if the hybrid battery was dead, the car wouldn't be able to start at all... Might be an engine problem if its losing power... did you check the oil levels?

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The battery shouldnt die though. It would work, then work really poorly, then die and not start. But death takes a very very long time.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry you're having a problem, but I hear nothing in your description to suggest that it is a traction battery issue. As others stated, the 12v might be a factor, and there are a multitude of other things that could be in play, but unless there is something else to suggest that it is the HV battery I think that would be very far down the list.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I think your Prius CAN'T be a 2007 because your avatar says you have the advance tech package, so you'd necessarily have a 2010. Thus, if you had only 1 day off a week ... 80,000 miles would be appx 1,000 miles each & every day ... 500 miles one way ... then 500 miles back ... every day. Averaging 60mph ... that means you spend 16 of every 24 hours in the car. No WONDER your hydrogen battery is low.
    ;)

Welcome to the wacky world of PC.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your inverter might have overheated. Check if the inverter coolant pump is still functioning.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You sure do. If you owned the car for 3 years & drove it constantly you'd have to drive 3044+ miles every hour of every day.:welcome:

9. Pougeslanding

Pougeslanding New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I mis-spoke/typed. I changed the 12V only a few months ago. I know from experience, no 12V working properly, the car will not start.

It wasn't the hybrid battery but the floor mat was covering a diode near the accelerator petal. I had gotten rid of the Cheesy Toyota floor mats that had come with the car long ago. The diagnostic read outs are fine so I have to take their word that nothing else is wrong. They changed the position of the petal per the recall.

I found out from a friend what does happen when the hybrid battery goes south. All of the warning lights will come on, the car will loose power but you can still drive it. The new battery is only warranted for 12 months.

What are you referring to with the initials ICE? I complained of the Prius loosing 3-4 Miles per gallon and their explanation is Ethanol. Since they are putting the crap in all U S gasoline Prius is taking the hit from it. I used to work as a refinery operator (the person that operates a plant in a refinery) and Ethanol is not the answer, nor should we be putting it in our gasoline engines. Thanks

10. Pougeslanding

Pougeslanding New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If only it were a 2010! I bought it new in 2007.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This makes no sense whatsoever. What diode, and what could covering it do to cause you to think your HV battery died?

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine; iow the Gas Engine.

Tom

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes . . . and iow is also known as other words ... and, 'also-known-as' is often abbreviated .... ok someone tell me to grow up ... quick!
    :eek:

I'm with qbee on this ... not certain what diode is near the pedal ... or any where near the floor. Are you saying that TOYOTA told you that the traction battery pack is only warranted for 12 months?

Interesting. In CA (and a few other states), the traction pack is held to be part of the emissions system, which gets warranted out to 150,000 or 10yrs - which ever comes 1st. But Texas? I can't find any law, but some car forums refer to parts of Texas emissions warranty to fall under an 8yr/80,000 miles emission warranty ... while some parts or are covered under their 5yr/50,000 miles emission warranty.

Since it looks like Texas goes chintzy on emissions warranty, it MAY just be that Toyota changed out your traction pack based on good will ... if in fact they DID change it. Not quite certain ... are you saying they replaced your traction pack? ... or the teeny 12v auxiliary battery. Anyway, even if they only replaced the aux battery ... yes, it's out of warranty, and again, it'd be a good will gesture by Toyota.

BTW (by the way) - if your traction pack dies ... no, you can't necessarily count on your Prius to somehow still be able to limp along ... it may just light up your dash with the infamous Red Triangle of Death, leaving you stranded ... just as if your ICE was mortally wounded.

Glad to hear your Prius is back up and running in any event ... and sorry your experience was such a tough issue for a 1st post. welcome!

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on the diode being a fake madeup reason told to you by a tech... Unless your floormat was conductive and shorting some randomly placed component that is visibly exposed on the floor, I'm not buying it.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a Honda guy, but this is Texas and cross brands, good A/C and a strong 12v have to help!

Hope it gets better!

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just what is the warranty on a replacement traction battery? AFAIK every other part is 1 year unlimited mileage. I'm thinking it would be the balance of the original warranty or 1 year whichever is longer.

IMO Toyota's longer warranties are there only by law.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    8 years and 100k miles in non-carb states; 10 years and 150k miles in carb states. The warranty is non-prorated. If your traction battery fails within the warranty period, you get a brand new battery for free.

Tom