1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think oil prices will come down...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jan 16, 2008.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    in the near future. How? With the implosion of the RE markets, there will be a US economic contraction and thus a global economic contraction. Americans on average will be either poorer or at least feel poorer. Thus, they won't consume as much. Less consumption = less oil consumption. Yes, China and India are growing, but no one has sustained growth without sucking on the teats of a growing America. Thus oil consumption will go down. Demand goes down. Prices go down. That doesn't mean we'll then again start to consume more, because on average we won't have as much disposable wealth to blow on cheap oil. Nonetheless, oil prices are coming down over the next 5-10 years(my guestimation of our coming recession).(Note, I'd prefer prices go to $200-300/barrell), but I think we're going to see $60-70 barrels again.

Yes, there's Peak oil, but that's multi decades away.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not so sure. The collapse of the real estate market will certainly slow the US economy, but that doesn't necessarily translate into lower gas prices for everyone. With the economic rise of many other nations, the US is less of a global influence than it used to be. It's really the overall demand that's in question, not just the demand in the US.

3. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    An alternative scenario...
    As the US dollar continues to fall there is also increased pressure to de-couple international oil prices from the USD and switch to something more stable (e.g., the Euro). If and when that happens the international price of oil will not climb as rapidly as before, but the price to the US consumer will climb even more rapidly.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    predictions of $4 gas in mid Feb seems not likely. as gas prices did jump 15 cents for a few days but have gone back down and are nearing the low 3's.

its the housing and jobs market that will be where the pain is.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How will the European nations grow and prosper. The citizenry aren't as greedy as americans. And it's greed that drives growth and profit.

6. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think your sarcasm is showing...;)

My sense is that growth is increasingly preventing prosperity...

7. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most significant is the primarily negative influence of humanity on ecosystems, because of our disinclination to deal comprehensively with global warming now. Our grandchildren will surely suffer as a consequence of our inaction. Will our generation’s legacy be short-sightedness?

We should be raising the price of gasoline and motivating the auto companies so the CAFE is raised more quickly. Our President just asked the Saudi king to pump more oil, so the US economy won't slide into a recession! His priorities are wrong.

WAKE UP, before it's too late! :eek:

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya, John, but I'm becoming more philosophical about it. We're learning, even if it is the hard way. Metaphorically, the alarm bells have been wailing all my life, beginning with Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, but most people still claim not to hear them.

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exactly. The growth is cannibalizing our earth as we know it. Thus capitalism, an interesting engine for creating wealth and innovation can not persist in a limited environment. America is the last bastion of capitalism no matter what other countries think. Their prosperity and growth depends our prosperity and growth. When our our economic growth stalls, so will everyone else's. Hence the prediction that oil prices(in the next 10 years) will go down(though I'd love to be wrong)).

10. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Besides many non-oil employed geologists, even the geologic experts from within the oily community say peak oil is here, now. It's sure be nice to see the basis of your conclusary "decades away" statement.

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Honestly I don't have any hard core stats. If you want to get more than you'll ever care about, go to peakoil.com. I know peak oil is coming. If you guesstimate peak oil + or - 50 years, then we're probably in the zone. If you try to predict it with a 1 to 2 year precision, then I don't think we're there. It's happened in the the US, it'll happen world wide. The big easy oil fields have likely been found and they are certainly being emptied. But the point is, they aren't empty yet. Oil fields won't be pumped more slowly just because it's 50% full vs 20% full. They'll be pumped as quickly as our demand will suck it out. My point is that the demand will be limited by our own economic constraints. The market goes up the market goes down. We are entering a down market. I credit this to the RE implosion and all the slow motion ramifications. This will be the precipitating factor of the short term drop in oil prices. It'll go back up eventually, but I think we're gonna go down before we go to $200/barrel.

13. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that the real estate decline by itself is going to have a big impact on our energy consumption. Things like heating and cooling are for the most part fixed, as they are dependent on weather more than anything else. (If anything, lower property values will mean more consumption over the long-haul since folks aren't going to feel like spending money upgrading their HVAC systems while their property values are in the toilet.) People aren't going to get up and move closer to work, either, since that would mean selling the house. (First-time buyers would be excluded since this is a pretty decent time to get into the market.) The cars we've been buying for the last ten years are generally yachts, and trading to something more efficient usually means spending out of pocket. Recreational travel will decline, I suppose. Maybe we'll make a better effort to combine trips and what not? But without digging for numbers, that kind of improvement seems pretty fringe to me. Overall there's nothing going on that would decrease our consumption and, in turn, depress the cost of energy.

So, I think prices are going to stay at levels and perhaps push a bit higher. I'm not betting on $4.00 nationwide pump prices, either, but it's going to take a lot more than this to push it back down. Maybe after a few years of really tough times? And hopefully we won't find out?

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It doesn't matter.

The price of gasoline will still stay about where it is now and will slowly creep up in a roller coaster manner. They're shooting for $5.00 a gallon.

A Federal commission has recommended an increase in gas taxes across the nation. (No surprise Texas Gov. Perry is opposed to it.) Some states more than others. It's for infrastructure and repait. But I've heard that song and dance before. No matter how many taxes, bond measures or whatnot is applied, the roads never seem to get fixed. At least in So. Cal we're lucky not to have the snow and ice eat away at them.

Fed. Commission recommends increase in gas tax

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think best case scenario is an extended plateua, as opposed to a peak.
    But no one is mentioned the two facts that get overlooked.

1) Even if (big if) worldwide production (Read: oil extracted) doesn't trend down, the usage of oil to get and process that production is ever increasing (sour oil, heavy crude, deep water, etc.). So the actual useable amount of oil will be decreasing anywyas.

2) Every oil exporting country is growing and becoming more industrialized, which increases their own internal usage. Hence, given a static amount of "production" the actual amount of exports will continue to drop as they use more internally.

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's right. Some of the Saudi fields have been on line for nearly SEVENTY years. And guess what it takes to pressure pump tons of sea water into the ground, so that you can then pump the crude out of the ground? Tons of energy. And that ever increasing energy cost gets factored back into the stuff comming out of the ground. And once the giant fields get to a certain point (not too far below the 1/2 way point) the cost of the energy you use to get the crude out increases so much, it's no longer economical to get it out of the ground. That's why so many wells here in the U.S.A remain closed ... even since the 70's.

18. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To follow on the heels of Hill and JHinton... you can actually damage a field by trying to force the production rate too high. The Mexicans appear to have done this with their Cantarell field. By injecting nitrogen into the field they were able to turn Cantarell into the world's second highest producing oil field for a few year (2.0 million barrels/day). However, in 2006 the production rates started dropping precipitously and that trend is continuing as far as I know.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I disagree with the analysis of the OP. I think oil prices will continue to rise as production falls and demand continues to increase, with growing population and emerging market growth more than compensating for the decline in the U.S. economy.

However it's all speculation. None of us can know the future.

20. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well I hope oil goes through the roof. That will be the ultimate weaning off incentive. But for the reasons I stated, I won't be surprised if it goes down before it goes up. And this is coming from someone who buys exxon stock monthly.