1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think Priuschat and PriusOnline need to merge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaguaraja, Dec 1, 2004.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

I think it would be more convenient for everyone to consolidate instead of us having to post once here and once there and then having to check both places for responses.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Looks like there are fewer and fewer posts on PriusOnline, and it lacks functionality like we have here.

I agree, have them merge.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"54271)</div>
    I totally disagree...there must be 30+ posts per day from Fishon, C Ricky Hirose, and other annoying dealers using the site for completely free advertising!!

Not sure what everyone means by 'merge', any PriusOnline user is welcome here, there really isn't anything at Priusonline, other than a couple of users who don't come here that I enjoy seeing posts from, that isn't available or better here.

I still check in there for the rare informative tidbit. Some users there prefer the lower volume and simpler layout, but the spamming from the dealers and more limited format makes it a distant second or third site for me.

4. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

merge meaning do away with priusonline and maybe rename priuschat to priuschatonline (nah).

then invite all priusonline users (except for the spammers) to join us here at prius chat.

it still bugs me to have to go to both places to check for the same things.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think we have a good thing going here. if any priusonline members want to come over, let them. but to merge??

6. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

I'm going to buy my Tideland BC from a dealer I found on PriusOnline, I'm still not sure how long I would have to wait for the one I ordered from Nashville, so it was helpful for me in that respect. One thing that may hurt this forum, as there are many here that are waiting, and don't check daily/weekily for ones at dealerships. I think list lengths are diminishing, and people can get Prii :) quicker if they know where they are, as this board has a healthy mix of those that don't have one yet. Granted, more than a message every few days is annoying, and ALL CAPS too.
    If I hadn't found PriusOnline, I wouldn't have found a Prius in the color/package I want. It's something that some would find helpful, even if maybe only once, and the dealership reps are going to go the easiest/cheapest route.
    I'm not trying rip on PriusChat, but I think this might be an opportunity to be constructive and improve our forum here. Is it possible to make a seperate category where people can post cars for sale, but before it can be seen by users, it has to be approved by moderators? That will help control the number of "spam-type" posts out there, but will give the non-Prius owners a chance to find one. Or any other suggestions/thoughts on the matter?

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I started with Priusonline.. then i switched here.. used them both for a while.. but the set up here is much smoother. plus. i'm moderator of the San Francisco Bay Area club now. Although we need more members :)

8. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have stopped going to PriusOnline for the simple reason that anything of value I saw there were posted by PC'ers who also posted it here.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have to say that I have only a very few times been to PriusOnline and only then I think it was because someone here referred to an article or thread.

I happen to like that any business advertisements must register with Danny first. I enjoy that this board is comprised (almost) entirely of Prius owners who just want to talk about their car, ask some questions, answer some questions, and talk about things in general. I would be turned off very quickly if PriusChat turned into an open and free advertisement avenue of 3,500 Prius Owners (and growing!) available to any dealer with an internet connection and a total disregard for the [Caps Lock] key. In fact, every time I see that Danny or another Moderator has quickly clipped an advertisement posting I make it a point to thank them. I simply would stop telling people to visit PriusChat if I could no longer tell them that it is spam-free. These days, it seems to be such a rare state.

As for merging the two boards, I do not think an actual “merger†of any sort is required. If PC members want to post on PO, I am sure we would be welcomed. Likewise, I would tend to believe that all PO posters are welcomed to visit PC at their leisure.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was hoping to DISCUSS stuff with Coastal Dave, but he's been away a long time.

I visit rarely now...

11. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Priusonline has a three positive points:

1. The layout is simpler and easier to navigate. Priuschat was at one time very similar but has been becoming increasingly more complex.

2. The forum loads faster, probably because the underlying code is much simpler.

3. After making a post one gets the option of seeing the post or going back to the forum; its used to be like this here but now you have to see your post.

12. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

One more advantage of Priusonline: No Fred's House of Pancakes over there.

13. tag

tag Senior Member

Exactly what about Fred do you not like?

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt\";p=\"54851)</div>
    No one is forcing you to come here. If you don't like this forum read PriusOnLine. Personally, I cannot stand that site.

15. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

When I first got on the waiting list for my Prius I browsed a bunch of the different Prius/Hybrid sites. When I finnally got my Prius I decided to stick with just one site for all my Prius info needs simply because I don't have all the time to check them all out. I chose PriusChat because it seemed to have the most relevant information for my needs and becuase the virtual atmosphere was much more pleasant. I am not saying that any of the other sites including Prius Online aren't any good I just liked PriusChat best.

Justin

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I only go to 3 forums in PriusOnline: general, Q&A, and Technical. Lately there have been fewer and fewer posts there. I like the fewer relevant forums, and the simpler programming. I don't like not having the navigation at the end of the page of a topic; I have to scroll up to go to the next one.

17. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope, that would be like having the Democrats and the Republicans uniting and Canada becoming a single northern state of the US. "Not from my cold dead hands" to quote from someone. If they pleaded on bended knee to Danny promising to clean up their act and did, then I would support such a union. 8)
    I return here to read what DanMan32 , among others ( U know who you R)
    have to say. Providing knowlegeable, intelligent, experienced and valuable information for the masses where we can contribute without fear of being zapped by the "know-it- :idea: alls" and alpha hotels.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've seen comments on Priusonline from folks who think Prius Chat is too "busy." And it seems to me that pages here load a bit slowly. I wouldn't mind a bit of simplification in return for faster page loads.

But I don't want to take the time to read two Prius chat boards, and I like Fred's House of Pancakes. (Which, of course, people can visit or not, as they choose.) And the discussions in Fred's seem more civil than the off-topic discussions over at priusonline. Maybe that's the deciding factor for me.

19. Batavier

Batavier Member

I used them both for a while, but PriusChat is the board I keep coming back to. I haven't noticed the difference in load times (broadband may be the factor here of course, or perhaps it's the fact that I'm in Europe?). Anyway, I don't think PO offers anything 'extra' to me that PriusChat doesn't offer, so I don't feel the need to go to PO.

I'm staying right here, and if that darned PayPal system didn't charge me $5 just to give $5 to PriusChat, I'd have done that months ago. :D

EDIT:
    Oh, and I like the fact that the mods over here are doing a wonderful job. Plus there are plenty of nice people posting here as well. It's a nice sort of 'community' we have. :D

20. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

What I don't like about Fred is that it's off topic, and sometimes there are enough Fred topics on the board to push some Prius topics onto the next screen. I can't spend a lot of time here, so I only browse the topics that appear immediately after clicking on View posts since last visit.

IsrAmeriPrius: there are fewer people in Priusonline with your "if you don't like it go elsewhere attitude"; that's definitely another plus.