1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think the dealer was being vague on purpose.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by knix6, Dec 27, 2018.

1. knix6

knix6 2013 4, 7/19 2011 prius 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dealer says "need a water pump estimate 949.00 and need to recheck D013-2 , green wire after pump install"
    is D013-2 a code? or a part number?
    The battery was old so they also suggested new battery to clear some of the codes i was having, . 200 pllus for battery plus 300 labor to diagnose. (they even charged me to install a battery omgosh)

My car was hit in front right, i had to replace washer fluid bottle, "cracked headlight" and front blinker/dtr and bracket was damaged , bumper and front fender had damage repaired.

I am going to pull out the water pump to see if it got damaged too or if it got unplugged during repair, and I have already ordered the diagnostic software/plug, and going to get a cheap laptop. Because I have a few things to ferret out.

I wanted to say thank you for these forums, I have been searching and finding some great information. I am confused about the dealer saying "green wire" is that common for them to say things like that on the paperwork, I was expecting technical terms so i could looks stuff up. Feels like he is saying check the green thingywatchamacallit.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe your insurance company can pay because of the accident

3. knix6

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This car is a challenge for me, I am going to fix this water pump issue. it seems like I can tackle it, but the stress of going to the dealership is HUGE for me. I want to be able to read the codes and only have them do the things that I would be unable to do myself.

I also don't like being "sold" a bill of bologna, being a woman, I feel like they want to sell me muffler bearings, and blinker fluid. OR think that my disposable income is great enough to easily cover 1600 repair bills without blinking. I have a second car that I will be driving while i tinker with this. (I purchased this wrecked, with 48000 miles on it when i first checked in at the service desk he said "ah you have the platinum package, and i said uhmm maybe...but, no platinum for me as soon as they found out it had been in an accident.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A service writer at the dealer is essentially a sales person, they don't sell you a new car (yet), they sell you tons of service. The more they sell, the more money they make. That's the nature of the business. You always have the option to say "no".

The numbers they provided you don't look like codes from a scanner, they should have that information if they charged you for the diagnosis, you just have to ask them.

Many times you'll get tons of codes, one ecu telling another ecu there's a problem. So you'll have to know where the codes are pointing you, it's not clear where the problem lies when you get the codes.

5. knix6

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you !

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In Toyota’s Electrical Wiring Diagram (more info) for this model, D13 identifies the electrical connector for the water pump assembly, and terminal number 2 (of five) on that connector is shown as having a green wire, which goes to the engine control module (ECM). As the Repair Manual explains, the green wire goes to the WPI terminal on the ECM, which receives a duty cycle signal from the water pump, reporting its current speed.

Only the dealer could say for sure why they noted that terminal, but from your explanation, perhaps the technician followed a diagnostic procedure (say, for diagnostic trouble code P261B) until reaching the point where it calls for replacing the engine water pump, and checking the signal from the D13-2 terminal would be the next step to confirm the repair.

I suppose a really dishonest mechanic who wanted to sell you a water pump and the labor to install it could have disconnected that wire, to cause the ECM to detect a nonexistent failure and store a trouble code, but it would be quite brazen to do that and then put a hint about it in writing.

For future reference: diagnostic trouble codes are typically the letter B (body), C (chassis), P (powertrain), or U (network), followed by four or six hexadecimal digits, and Toyota part numbers are ten or twelve letters or digits, usually written in xxxxx-yyyyy or xxxxx-yyyyy-zz format.

Prodigyplace and ASRDogman like this.
  7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Don't be mad them for charging to install the battery. I'm confident you don't work for free, why should a technician? Each and every repair/diagnosis pays "time" to a technician. So.... don't really know what to tell you besides everyone has to make a living.

JC up there is correct however - you always have the option to decline (ie: saying no). Did you check with your insurance company? It's only a 2013 so I'm assuming you had comprehensive coverage. If Liability only - well then I understand trying to tackle it on your own.

ASRDogman likes this.
  8. knix6

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thank you very much, I am looking at the wiring diagram and it makes perfect sense to me now. I do not think the mechanic had did anything dishonest, I don't think they were really ready for me to pick it up, but when they told me their estimated cost of repair I told them to stop and paid them for the 200 for the battery and 300 labor for the diagnosis, they printed off a bunch of papers that I didn't even look at until I got home. The labor for the battery installation was just kind of a surprise because I have always purchased my own batteries (at a usually significant lower price) and installed them myself, so it didn't even occur to me that the 200.00 battery would not be the installed price. /doh. completely my fault.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you have a smart phone, you could read your own codes for less than $20. You need a Bluetooth or wifi OBD2 dongle (less than $10), and a $6 app for your phone.