1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I think waiting 5 months is enough

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lordmakemeworthy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. lordmakemeworthy

lordmakemeworthy New Member

I already have my sight on a few sports cars, in particular the Nissan 350Z with 300hp and the base model is only $27,000. and there isn't a ridiculous wait.

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sorry to see you go.
    Try calling other Toyota dealerships in the area.
    Maybe even a couple hundred miles out.

I'm sure you could find one. You paitence will be rewarded.

3. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like your dealer is jerking you around. Try a few others. I went from 2-4 months to 2 days.

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I didn't wait for MY Prius. Picked up the phone thanks to a nice suggestion from The360 guy and within several hours of doing that I was driving my new Prius.

If calling Milwaukee wouldn't have worked I planned on going further. I figured It would be no problem to fly somewhere to pick it up since it would just be a couple hundred for a one way plane ticket.

I feel if you want one and are willing to travel for one (if need be) you can get one. Just depends on how bad you want one. If it's to much trouble then go with the Nissan. I was just determined to get a Prius and made it work out for me so I didn't have to wait! (I also had to many issues with the car I was driving to wait months for a Prius)

Tracy

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree five months is way too long.

I also think your dealer is jerking you around.

However, I think if you really want a Prius you need to do a little work. Call around all of the dealerships within a distance you are willing to go. Tell them what you want and the first one that has the car gets your business. MSRP no mark ups or add ons (Unless you want them.)

Several owners here have gone a distance to get theirs. Some even flown out of state and driven back to get the package and color they want and the price they name.

And the less picky you are on color and package the faster you get your car.

I'm like Traceybeans. I contacted the local dealers by e-mail and the internet sales manager at Kearny Mesa Toyota had a Black #1 on the lot. I took an ivory interior instead of the gray I wanted. Had I wanted any color and any package I could have had my pick from several dealerships. Granted I'm in So. Cal and we get a lot and this was back in April...but if you don't want to wait you don't have to wait.

It's all on how you approach it.

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

That's the key! I would have liked to work with my local dealer but just didn't have the time to wait. (especially since I was picky about the color and package) So I didn't wait for a dealer to call me I started calling them! (Also my dealer said they didn't do trades with other dealership on the Prius)

I think there are Priuses out there to be had at this point!

7. lwillis

lwillis New Member

I waited..... I took delivery of my 2006 Barcelona Red yesterday. I put the deposit down on Aug 25........ This Wednesday would have been 5 months.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If seen enough on here, on priusonline and ebay to say this. If somebody really wants a Prius you can get one right away with no waiting. You just got to put the effort into finding one and be willing to travel a little.

9. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I know how you can get the dealership to call you and say.... "Your car is here"...

Go in today, sign the papers on the Nissan, take it home... there will be a message waiting on your machine....

It always works that way.

I ordered in September. They estimated end of January arrival..

I got a message yesterday saying they expect it will be in Feb 19-26th sometime..

How much is the rebate on the nissan?

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't forget dumb luck. That's how I got mine the day I went looking for one. :p

11. QED

QED New Member

psssst......he really doesn't want one...... ;)

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah yeah we know. But for posterity it's still an OK thread. :D

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wait for my 06 Prius was luckily only ~1.5 months (put down deposit in beginning of December, got car a week ago). The dealer I got the car through was more straight up about the process than the other one I went to (and still have a deposit on that I need to pick up).

Basically, he told me that they get in ~50 cars a month and if you give them more color and package choices, there's a better chance one of them will fit my criteria sooner. I gave him 3 choices: silver, pearl and white all w/package #7. The dealer told gave me an ETA of late Feb./early March. I got a call on January 7th saying "hey, we've got a car for you, it's white, want it? It's on its way near the coast of Hawaii right now..."

BTW, on the Z, the handling and power are great. I've got an 04 350Z. It's too bad it doesn't attract as much positive attention anymore... :/ I got a fair amount when I first got it but usually from the wrong folks: men or women who were too old/married, darn!

14. QED

QED New Member

Or for a poll:

I waited 5+ months for a Prius but couldn't wait so I bought a:

1. Nissan 350Z
    2. MiniCooper
    3. Hummer
    4. Rolls Silver Cloud
    5. Used Corolla
    6. Harley
    7. Golf cart
    8. Other

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And it's good information for the lurkers who *are* really looking for a Prius.

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah cause if I wouldn't have come across this site and The360 guy didn't mention calling around I wouldn't have my Prius already! I would have just ended up sticking a bunch of money into my POS car waiting for my Prius for who knows how long :rolleyes:

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First of all, in many states they "cannot" hold your deposit.. even though they like to try and make you feel like they can.

I have learned the dealers have a way to "block" thier allocations from being viewed by other dealers... they all act like they can see everyone elses allotment, and normally they can, but it can be blocked too..

I have seen several instances where one guy or dealership cannot see what is obviouslyl coming into another and in fact does... I've tested this out!

So in other words, if you really want one, call around and tell them to call you if they find a "whatever your choice is" and tell them your ready to buy immediately if there price is right and they can come up with the product.

You'll be amazed what you can find.... I didn't even do over 5 minutes worth of work and I found several. I started by goint to edmunds.com and put in my request and a dealer called me with what I wanted.

I've even turned away dealers because I'm am no longer in the market as I have my hands full with contacts now.

I just picked mine up.. I encourage you to hold on as you will be so delighted in this car in "every" way and ways you don't even know about yet!

If you really want a Z thats fine, but I think you want a prius, your just disenchanted with the whole game. This is alot of money and you may have it for a long long time and I just don't want you to feel buyers remorse and such an expensive cost!

Do as many have suggested, and call around and see what happens... you may have absolutley nothing to lose.

As for any deposit you put out already... if your dealer has gone over his delivery promise date, then your off the hook anyway.. but I really don't think there is a hook in the first place!

18. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm personally amazed that at the number of folks out there who go to their nearest dealer and that is the last place they go when purchasing a car. It doesn't matter if it is a Prius or if it is something else, the competitive advantage you loose by going to the nearest dealer, or the one you dealt with last, and nobody else is huge. The Prius market is pretty flat. Most Prii have been sold for MSRP, some have been sold for less, but not much less, and some have been sold for a lot more to those who had more money than sense. The key in any car buying situation is to check with multiple dealers and be willing to travel to get the vehicle and deal you want. As expensive as cars are, there is no reason for you, the buyer, to ever compromise on color or package. That means finding a dealer who is willing to deal with you, work to find your vehicle and get it on his lot to sell to you.
    1. Find a dealer who is willing to do a lot search or a search of the vehicles that are in transit waiting to be built.
    2. Get your price, out the door total including taxes and fees and any dealers fees (OTD), before you seal any deal or commit to anything.
    3. Be willing to travel. You don't ncessarily need to fly out of state or region.
    4. Be willing to work with rural dealers, they are often times lower pressure and sometimes have lot stock that urban dealers do not have.
    5. Document fees are crap, refuse to pay them, make it a deal breaker (Most dealerships won't push you that far if they think they will loose the sale, most folks just roll over).

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I waited a full six months. It was worth it.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Go for it get the Hummer.